Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 03:35 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Malfunction junction averages about 130k cars per day, while the Bayway averages 100k during the summer months. Malfunction Junction has 4 lanes going through between interchanges so that means that each lane averages 32.5k cars per lane per day, while the bay way only has 2 lanes making for 50k cars per lane per day. That over 50% more cars that the bay way handles per lane than malfunction junction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 04:28 AM

1,017 posts, read 640,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Actually, the reason that the I-65 designation sign changed is because I-565 was opened and with that there was an actual U.S. Interstate Highway which traversed Huntsville. Up until that time, Decatur was the larger city which was on an Interstate.
Growing up, IIRC Nashville was on there for the most part. It seemed like Decatur was there for a few minutes but they still had Nashville on the smaller signs at entrance ramps. Then they changed them all to Huntsville.

Last edited by OldBankhead; 06-10-2021 at 04:55 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Yessir! State DOT's build and maintain highways within in their own states, including interstate highways. Understood. But typically ~75-80% of construction funding for new interstate highways comes from the federal government. And that's where our local politicians earn their paycheck. Bringing home the bacon.
I'm guessing his point is, it is up to ALDOT how that fed money is spent. I'm sure they have their influences, but I don't think who is the largest city is one of them. Who rolls the most tires is.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Malfunction junction averages about 130k cars per day, while the Bayway averages 100k during the summer months. That over 50% more cars that the bay way handles per lane than malfunction junction.
...during the summer months as you pointed out. They are going to look at yearly averages when prioritizing funds.

Quote:
20/59 isn't the only important interstate in Alabama.
I never said it was.

I said it was a crucial and very important section that was in danger of critical failure. That put it as top priority.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
...during the summer months as you pointed out. They are going to look at yearly averages when prioritizing funds.

I never said it was.

I said it was a crucial and very important section that was in danger of critical failure. That put it as top priority.
The bayway still beats out malfunction junction by 10k for every lane used if using daily (85k)

Old 06-10-2021, 05:19 AM

313 posts, read 249,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post

I never said it was.

Apparently it was so crucial that after the BP oil spill happened they used that money to build it. Funny how the bayway was “Alabama’s top transportation priority” until the bp oil spill. Even more funny that the reparations for that disaster mostly went elsewhere in the state.
https://www.al.com/news/2021/06/coas...e-project.html

The port is the heart of the Alabama economy. Without it Alabama moves totally backward . Over the next few years after baldwin joins back to the metro that will give metro Mobile a 50 percent population increase so maybe then we will have the pull we need to get things done since numbers and population seem to be the only way to receive validation on certain topics.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:36 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Malfunction junction averages about 130k cars per day, while the Bayway averages 100k during the summer months. Malfunction Junction has 4 lanes going through between interchanges so that means that each lane averages 32.5k cars per lane per day, while the bay way only has 2 lanes making for 50k cars per lane per day. That over 50% more cars that the bay way handles per lane than malfunction junction.

That's not correct. I-20/59 flowing into that interchange has an average traffic count of 120,000, while I-65 flowing into that interchange has an average traffic count of 117,000. That means as many as 237,000 vehicles passing through Malfunction Junction on a daily basis.

And that's only Malfunction Junction. A mile away is the I-59/20 interchange. There's not a traffic count directly adjacent to that interchange, but an additional 76,000 travel 280 about a mile away. Had you attempted merging onto I-59 from 280 anytime close to rush hour prior to the new construction, you would have a) had to sit in traffic and b) risked your life.

Further, that overhaul of the highway wasn't just about widening I-65 and I-59/20. It was about how well the freeways were feeding into the downtown area, which had been a complete nightmare. That's why, as one example, they eliminated the 22nd Street exit and replaced it with the 17th Street exit so that cars weren't backing up on the interstate. Or the 6th Avenue exit.

All of this is in response to Birmingham becoming a nexus for distribution. With the final completion of I-22 several years ago, the continuing surge of the auto industry in the region, and the rail/truck transfer facility in McCalla, the city is suddenly on the map in terms of warehousing and distribution, as evidenced by several huge projects being announced for the area. Those would have proved an impossibility had the I-65/I-59/20 interchange not gone through serious upgrades to accommodate resulting increases of traffic.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 06-10-2021 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's not correct. I-20/59 flowing into that interchange has an average traffic count of 120,000, while I-65 flowing into that interchange has an average traffic count of 117,000. That means as many as 237,000 vehicles passing through Malfunction Junction on a daily basis.

And that's only Malfunction Junction. A mile away is the I-59/20 interchange. There's not a traffic count directly adjacent to that interchange, but an additional 76,000 travel 280 about a mile away. Had you attempted merging onto I-59 from 280 anytime close to rush hour prior to the new construction, you would have a) had to sit in traffic and b) risked your life.

Further, that overhaul of the highway wasn't just about widening I-65 and I-59/20. It was about how well the freeways were feeding into the downtown area, which had been a complete nightmare. That's why, as one example, they eliminated the 22nd Street exit and replaced it with the 17th Street exit so that cars weren't backing up on the interstate. Or the 6th Avenue exit.

All of this is in response to Birmingham becoming a nexus for distribution. With the final completion of I-22 several years ago, the continuing surge of the auto industry in the region, and the rail/truck transfer facility in McCalla, the city is suddenly on the map in terms of warehousing and distribution, as evidenced by several huge projects being announced for the area. Those would have proved an impossibility had the I-65/I-59/20 interchange not gone through serious upgrades to accommodate resulting increases of traffic.
Yes but you also add another 4 lanes of traffic which is still essentially 32k cars per lane per day. Birmingham isn’t the only warehousing/logistic hub for the state. Mobile is about to build the largest logistics park in the Southeast for a reason

Old 06-10-2021, 06:17 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Yes but you also add another 4 lanes of traffic which is still essentially 32k cars per lane per day. Birmingham isn’t the only warehousing/logistic hub for the state. Mobile is about to build the largest logistics park in the Southeast for a reason

None of that is really an argument. All you're doing is moving the goalposts, since those additional lanes were built in anticipation of future traffic. Those bridges had to be replaced because they couldn't accommodate additional lanes and the entire original plan for Birmingham interstates was so bolloxed to begin with. Meanwhile, you're talking about what's going to happen in the future for Mobile, while the improvements in Birmingham's interstates were sorely overdue.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:36 AM

313 posts, read 249,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Distribution and logistics, one of the many hats of Alabama. We are just joining the party down in mobile . I believe we had the least amount of warehouse square footage out of all the major cities in bama. Mobile is finally piecing together additional parts to the road rail air and water access we have to make a pretty stellar logistics and distribution operation
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al....outputType=amp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama