Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:08 AM

251 posts, read 895,755 times

Advertisements

I do not understand why people say we sit and discuss this subject. I have never sat and discussed the south rising again, here in Mobile or back home near Opp, Alabama.

Being accused of something that does not happen gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
46% 'Dixie' here-----------note that I was born/raised in the Wash DC area and spend most of my adult life in Arizona/California.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_1975 View Post
I do not understand why people say we sit and discuss this subject. I have never sat and discussed the south rising again, here in Mobile or back home near Opp, Alabama.

In a way: the 'South' is rising---------factoring in the dramatically improved economy, quality of life, etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM

634 posts, read 2,348,616 times
Quote:

I'm sorry if it came across differently or negatively, but that's exactly what I meant...the reality does not fit the stereotype!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:24 AM

The south is for sure seeing an economic upswing.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 AM

No, that was not directed towards you at all Breer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
I'm sorry if it came across differently or negatively, but that's exactly what I meant...the reality does not fit the stereotype!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM

208 posts, read 605,253 times
Quote:

LOL..I hear you. I lived in Alabama for a couple of years and I heard that too.

I read on other state forums how southerners are obsessed with the Civil War and how we hate northerners. I'm not saying there aren't jerks out there, but most of us have better things to do with our time.

In my experience, it always seems like the transplant or visitor brings such things up, not the natives.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Default Tell It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
LOL..I hear you. I lived in Alabama for a couple of years and I heard that too.

I read on other state forums how southerners are obsessed with the Civil War and how we hate northerners. I'm not saying there aren't jerks out there, but most of us have better things to do with our time.

In my experience, it always seems like the transplant or visitor brings such things up, not the natives.
Good LORD, are you right about that. And (wish I had actual census figures here--somebody correct me if I'm wrong) but isn't the south also experiencing an upswing in population, resulting from incoming northerners? So...how bad can it be here, if so many people are trying to get in? Granted, they almost invariably try their best to remake any southern place in the image of the northern city they left.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
I live in Alabama now (I'm a former Northerner) and no, people don't sit around down here dicussing the civil war Believe it or not, people are actually living their lives here, yep, people do the same things down here Northerners do, shocking, isn't it??

The only time I ever talk or hear about the civil war is

1. On city-data
2. When I'm reading a book regarding the civil war
3. Elementary school (many, many years ago )

Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In a way: the 'South' is rising---------factoring in the dramatically improved economy, quality of life, etc.
I know that was a positive comment, but many people think the quality of life was just fine here to begin with. I certainly have never heard my grandparents complain about the way things were, they always talk about the "good ole days". The south may be rising economically, but it's going downhill in many other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama