Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 08:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times

Advertisements

Well, we’re home after a jam-packed, 24-hour, interesting trip.

My aunt can be so sweet at times and a total PITA at other times. She’s given me grief regarding the number of outdoor facets, the fact that I’m not there at least twice a week to check on things, etc.

My wife has the soft touch despite getting frustrated at times. That’s to say, we’ll survive. My aunt does have good input occasionally. Her dad (my grandfather) was a great builder and she acted as the GC on her house and our church’s new fellowship hall. She knows her stuff but at her age, has lost all semblance of any filter. My wife, the equal but opposite force (Newton’s third law) is going to make this house hers despite my aunt’s inputs. Some of the suggestions make sense, others don’t. There’s only one tie-breaker and that belongs to MrsK7.

Anyway, we got there around 8:30 last night after making three unnecessary stops for my aunt. Up early, a quick breakfast followed by an 80-mile drive to the builder’s preferred granite supplier. Between my aunt and a rather pushy salesperson, we were extremely lucky to find something suitable as a starting point.

We arrived back at the homesite around 12:30 for my wife and aunt’s first ever visit to it. The builder, his wife and the electrician was there and I got everyone but the electrician to give us some space. We did a 15 minute walkthrough followed by another session with everyone else making decisions big and small.

The electrician was excellent. He loved my open ended question of, “What do we need that we don’t know we need?” Surprisingly, we covered everything nicely. The builder really likes the electrician also and that puts us at ease. I told the electrician about helping my father wire houses on the weekend for pocket money. He laughed when I mentioned the drill and drill bit was as big as me. A 10-year old drilling 1” holes in 2x4s was a sight to see.

Both my wife and aunt were thrilled with the builder, his wife, our house and the location. I’m sure I’ve alluded to it previously - my wife wasn’t really 100% on board with the entire move but now, as I anticipated, she’s all in. She can’t wait to finish her selections and move in.

Hey, sometimes the good guy wins. Lol She went so far as to text one old neighbor in particular and tell them how happy she is! That takes a huge weight off of my shoulders. Yes, we have a very long ways to go but, at least MrsK7 is happy. Happy wife, happy life.

Tomorrow is Mother’s Day. We’ll do our usual church routine, followed by lunch at my sister’s possibly followed by my wife’s equestrian lessons. It’ll be a good day.....which was the whole point of “coming home”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 08:45 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
But what about PARKER? How is he doing?

Seriously, love your updates. Sounds like all went well despite some minor annoyances. You are handling it all well too ... you know that the end result is going to be wonderful!

Happy Mother's Day ... I hope you and your family members have a wonderful day.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But what about PARKER? How is he doing?

Seriously, love your updates. Sounds like all went well despite some minor annoyances. You are handling it all well too ... you know that the end result is going to be wonderful!

Happy Mother's Day ... I hope you and your family members have a wonderful day.
Thank you! I hope you’re having a wonderful day also!

The windows aren’t in yet so Parker was jumping in and out of them to everyone’s delight. He’s so fluid, so graceful when he jumps. It’s a joy to see!

My wife and I took our aunt over to my sister’s for a Mother’s Day lunch. It was great!

We’ve been huddled up looking at flooring and plotting our next move for the last 90 minutes. I strongly suspect we’ll go back next weekend for insure my wife is comfortable with all the decisions we made this weekend. We already have a cover story so “you know who” won’t be tempted to go with us.

My wife has to get comfortable with all of the color choices. As a quilter, she has a great eye at pulling, for example, the flooring, the countertops and the cabinets together, all with an eye on our budget. I know enough to stay out of her way and let her “think” ..... something my aunt and the sales day failed to do.

We’ll get there!

Old 05-10-2021, 10:48 AM

Default W

Dogs and kids should be allowed to run free, early and often. If they chase an occasional squirrel and end up a tad bit muddy, it’s ok. It’ll wash off. Parker was happy with himself. The bath, not so much.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:50 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Dogs and kids should be allowed to run free, early and often. If they chase an occasional squirrel and end up a tad bit muddy, it’s ok. It’ll wash off. Parker was happy with himself. The bath, not so much.
Parker looks like a cool dog.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Parker looks like a cool dog.
Thank you. He’s the happiest creature you’ll ever see!

We went back to the new community this weekend and met with the builder again sans aunt. We really didn’t make any changes but they had half a dozen points to clarify.

We had the pleasure of meeting the builder’s daughter. First, she’s a pistol. Cheerleader, just finished her freshmen year and works for her parents every weekend to repay them for her college expenses. She doesn’t suffer for a lack of confidence. She was driving a little bobcat-type tractor loading logs.

The house is coming along. They’re waiting on windows to be delivered- they were impacted by Covid. We stopped at a more, local granite place and found 5 possibilities in 10 minutes. MrsK7 made her choice in the flooring type and the color. Huge step.

The electrician was hard at work this morning. I’m guessing he got a lot one and will finish up this week. The plumber will be on-site this week.

We’ll go back for the Memorial Day weekend and attempt to make our plumbing fixtures, kitchen appliances and lighting selections. We’ll stay with our friends at their cabin which is 80 yards from their house....and about 2 miles from ours. The view from their cabin is great! 6 am, hot coffee, hummingbirds buzzing us, Parker stalking birds.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:23 PM

House is coming along slowly but surely. I put up a temporary mailbox and will begin to collect mail at the new location sooner rather than later. We also moved closer to the build, Valley AL. After the weekend rains, I hope they can start bricking it up. By next weekend, it’ll look like a real house.

Next week, I’ll start spending the morning there. I need to clean up the mulched areas before they get out of hand. I plan to tackle it literally 10 square yards at a time and if I can’t handle that in a morning, I can reduce it to 10 square feet. That’s the advantage of being retired. Lol

Old 06-18-2021, 03:48 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
House is coming along slowly but surely. I put up a temporary mailbox and will begin to collect mail at the new location sooner rather than later. We also moved closer to the build, Valley AL. After the weekend rains, I hope they can start bricking it up. By next weekend, it’ll look like a real house.
Now that is exciting! I look forward to seeing lots of pictures.

Can you tell us again how many acres your property is? Your lot looks very private (I would love it!).

Quote:
Next week, I’ll start spending the morning there. I need to clean up the mulched areas before they get out of hand. I plan to tackle it literally 10 square yards at a time and if I can’t handle that in a morning, I can reduce it to 10 square feet. That’s the advantage of being retired. Lol
Had to smile at this!! I officially retire 1 week from today although I'm still teaching summer classes (but they are online asynchronous and last only 6 weeks -- we're just about to finish week 3 -- so the work is pleasant and not time-consuming at all). I subscribe to Cambium's veggie garden threads every year, and every year I tell myself "Next year I'm going to have a veggie garden!" Alas, I still haven't gotten started. Let me ease into retirement ...

I do have a heuchera bed in my front yard that is beautiful when it's not full of weeds. I definitely need to get out there and weed it, then mulch. Maybe you will inspire me!

Old 06-18-2021, 05:58 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
I had to check to see where Valley, Alabama was. Looks like it's in south Alabama on the eastern border with Georgia. I noticed in your pictures the really tall pine trees which we don't have in north Alabama unless they've been planted. We mostly have deciduous trees in this part of the state.

Nice house. I'll bet you'll enjoy living in the country.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Now that is exciting! I look forward to seeing lots of pictures.

Can you tell us again how many acres your property is? Your lot looks very private (I would love it!).

Had to smile at this!! I officially retire 1 week from today although I'm still teaching summer classes (but they are online asynchronous and last only 6 weeks -- we're just about to finish week 3 -- so the work is pleasant and not time-consuming at all). I subscribe to Cambium's veggie garden threads every year, and every year I tell myself "Next year I'm going to have a veggie garden!" Alas, I still haven't gotten started. Let me ease into retirement ...

I do have a heuchera bed in my front yard that is beautiful when it's not full of weeds. I definitely need to get out there and weed it, then mulch. Maybe you will inspire me!
Thank you! I always appreciate your kind remarks.

We’re on 10 acres, our neighbors on each side are on around 20 or more and behind us, one guy owns around 700 or more acres. We’re the poor ones in this lineup, lol, and it doesn’t bother me one little bit!

Now that we’re settled, as noted above, I can focus on the land itself. I wanted to insure that MrsK7 is functioning well in her WFH position and that she’s comfortable here. This apartment complex is surprisingly quiet and very diversified! Alabama is seemingly well represented in the car manufacturing arena so that brings a diverse mixture, which, I happen to love.

For example, while out with Parker this morning we met a young man who is from Romania. He’s the head chef at a nearby Italian restaurant and we’re already planning a visit. His wife is from this area and they met in Ireland.

One week from today? That’s like....7 days. What’s your first order of business? Any big plans to kick off your next joyful phase of life or will you simply ease into it? Either way, I wish you well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama