Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2006, 07:34 AM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times

Advertisements

Wanting to buy few acres to build a small vacation cabin enjoy the state park and do some hunting and fishing in the national preserve.
I've visited desoto state park several years ago but never go to sand rock
or surrounding community so I have a question and would like candid responses:
I'm black and wonder if I should have any valid reason to reconsider buying in this area? I checked the local census and found that there werent any blacks living in sandrock(very small community) but that doesnt particularly bother me as long the folks there are friendly enough.
I spend a lot of time camping in north georgia mountains where there are hardly any
blacks and have found everyone pretty decent and cordial and I'm just not sure what to expect in rural Northeast alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 04:17 PM

50 posts, read 245,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Wanting to buy few acres to build a small vacation cabin enjoy the state park and do some hunting and fishing in the national preserve.
I've visited desoto state park several years ago but never go to sand rock
or surrounding community so I have a question and would like candid responses:
I'm black and wonder if I should have any valid reason to reconsider buying in this area? I checked the local census and found that there werent any blacks living in sandrock(very small community) but that doesnt particularly bother me as long the folks there are friendly enough.
I spend a lot of time camping in north georgia mountains where there are hardly any
blacks and have found everyone pretty decent and cordial and I'm just not sure what to expect in rural Northeast alabama.
No one is going to care. This is the new south, not the old south. There are still some jerks scattered here and about, but for the most part, no one is going to care.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 48,867 times
I agree with AndyG. Deliverance was a movie, not a reality. Sand Rock area is a good choice. Close to Centre a nice town . You will have to go there to get anything, and I mean anything. You might also look a little further north to the east of Hwy 176 . This will put you further out from most things though. South of Dog Town, (5 mile or so) I found 1 acre lots on the rim going for 50 K surrounded by state land on isolated road. Very scenic. It was near the Glass Blowing place. You can get a better deal if you buy more land. 20 or more acres can be had for 3-5K per acre. It might not be on the rim, but still very beautiful. Good luck.

Last edited by skymanta; 12-21-2006 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-22-2006, 05:21 PM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times
Hey, I appreciate your responses.
I got out to look over the property this past weekend and agree there is some pretty country. I didnt like the property I went to see, but really like some areas close and on the southern end of the preserve.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Instead of building a camp, you might consider looking at some of the properties with existing manufactured homes. In some cases the costs of the land and the home isn't much more than the cost of land alone, plus you have a water hookup and septic tank thrown in. If you don't like the home, you can remove it and build your camp.

If you like hunting, you might check out Cheaha. There seems to be more actual wilderness there than around DeSoto.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 48,353 times
Little river is in the atmore area and there it is a largely an african american area. I lived there until I was 12 and the people are really friendly. My grandmother still lives there, but, the white people there are very friendly so that should not be a problem.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 PM

"Little river is in the atmore area "

Huh??? Atmore is in the far southern part of the state. Little River andDeSoto state park are in the far northeast of the state. Perhaps you were thinking of Little River state forest, which is actually on the Perdido?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:25 AM

8 posts, read 48,353 times
My mistake. I did not know that there were two places in alabama called little river. I just remember when I was little my family would go there every summer for us to go swimming.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:52 AM

Yeah, I find it interesting that AL allows some of the naming conventions that it does. There are two "Union" Alabamas, multiple "Mount Olives," etc. I guess some communities aren't large enough to get a post office address, but it makes for a lot of confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama