Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2006, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 14,437 times

Advertisements

Not sure how many of you are actual Sylvania residents, but I am hoping many are so as to say 'thank you' for helping one of your local residents, my father (Charles Foreman), through a very tough early loss of my stepmom (an incredible woman who had an enormous positive impact on my life) on April 21, Although I was unable to make the funeral, the rest of my family (including my brother) did. The funeral and burial was held on my father's property in Sylvania (how rare is this nowadays), in which all said it had to be the most beautiful place and moment in the world- her final resting place on top of a hill, overlooking forests, creeks, waterfalls and wildflowers. My father, mother, brother, sister and I grew up for most of our lives in a small densely wooded resort town in upper northern Michigan. In later years, we traveled all over the country, with me ending up (after college) in Italy and then, for the last 13 years, in Arizona. Even in the midst of living in one of the largest cities in the nation, having a great home and job (I was a top government employee and, for the last five years, an AZ/NV Manager for URS (the No. 1 civil and environmental planning, engineering, and program/construction management - including homeland security- firm in the nation/world), nothing compares to my memories of growing up pure and with integrity, graciousness, and soundly (and I still carry those traits) in a small town that mirrors Sylvania (save the mountains, of course). My brother could not say enough about the area and, like my dad, about the incredible kindness of all of your residents. Richness in pocketbook and title means nothing when you do not have it in soul, family/friends, and your surroundings. I have survived Arizona and Phoenix's famous skin cancer/melanoma spells and Valley Fever (from all the contaminated soil/dust) over the years here (never missed a day of work, though. (-, and had forgotten how much being in a big city can actually reduce/cut off your quality years. It was too late for my stepmom when she finally found Sylvania. My Dad said she changed once she came there, though. She relaxed. She gardened. She reminded us all of what matters most. The incredible beauty of your town and people, throughout, reminded us all of that. My father buried my stepmom only four days ago and will only have his immediate surrounding acreage (and her on it) to comfort and make him feel less lonely. Thank you for being there for your fellow residents (as this truly is a rare blessing, nowadays), including my father, and if you happen to see him strolling around town in the next few days, weeks, and months, please continue to be there and as wonderful as you have been (and are).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama