Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM

270 posts, read 193,604 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have recently thought about of relocating to Alabama. I now live in the Ozarks, but the climate is too cold for me here. I do not like progressive liberal attitudes. Cities are not my cup of tea. From what I read here, it seems rural Alabama might be right for me.

My question is, would the people there accept someone who is from another state? I am older and alone; I would like to make friends with locals. My concern is that I would be treated as an outsider. I thought about moving to Dothan area.

I have lived is Georgia, Tennessee and Texas before I moved here. My problem is I am a loner. In the past, I attended college and graduate school, but I have no need to brag on this and I have no plans on working.

I am a senior lady who is conservative in way usually associated with the South. Regarding religion, I am an Episcopalian and do not click well with ‘Bible only” Christians. My parents were upper middle class southerners; we were rather snobby and content with things unchanged.

I wonder if I would do well in Southern Alabama? My desire is to buy a nice home for cash and mainly stay home. Although I would like to know if older people there would welcome me. I like low taxes and have rural interests, yet I wonder if people in that area would not accept a stranger?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 PM

116 posts, read 524,685 times
I doubt that you would have any problems at all. The South is not as insular as TV and movies would lead you to believe.

Get involved with various organizations in town and you will find you fit in ok.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM

All right then. I mainly stay at home. Some of the small towns in the area would be more to my taste. What I would like is to have a nice home for less than $150,000. Perhaps healthcare is a concern, does Alabama have good in-home health care?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I really recommend checking out the town of Brewton. It's a nice quiet town with everything you would need. The population is around 6500, but it's pretty much rural around it. Pensacola,FL is only a 45 minute drive south. Brewton was once listed in Americas top 100 small towns. I wouldn't recommend it to younger people because of lack of jobs, but if you're retired it would be perfect.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM

I looked it up on my map. The reason I mentioned Dothan was because I need in-home heath care I thought I might find a place out toward Avon, or around there. Brewton looks close to where a hurricane might hit? I also do not drive. Hoping to find some alternatives to here. I have a nice home on 40 acres, but as I seldom get out, I think a quite home with less land might work out.

Please know, I do not type those funny marks

Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
There is home health services here, but I'm not sure of the process to get it. You could contact someone at the website below and they could tell you.

City Of Brewton, Alabama

Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks, I will check out all the more state laws carefully. I am in Missouri near the Arkansas border. If it were not so cold here, I would think about Arkansas. Usually, if one has Medicare and is totally disabled, old and very ill they will qualify. State law may determine the amount of services covered. I thought about Georgia, as I am sure it has what one can receive in Missouri; however, Alabama is more tax friendly. I read the Dothan had the lowest taxes for a small city in the nation. I like Alabama, having been there when I lived in Georgia, I found it very tranquil. Very pretty area.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 AM

251 posts, read 895,547 times
Check out Opp, Alabama also. Many retired people and a very friendly town.

The City Of Opp

Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 AM

22 posts, read 96,630 times
I live in Southern Alabama. We moved from Wisconsin about 4 years ago. Never did I feel like an outsider because we were from another state.
As for hurricanes...we went through Ivan and Katrina, and stayed in our home that was 20 minutes to the coast. What we try to explain to all of our family as they freak out is that all the destruction you see is directly along the coast, and most is from water, not wind. YOu may loose power, but buy a generator. If you dont have a house on the beach, or in an area prone to flooding, your only worry is falling trees, and power outages.
Good luck to you.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:44 PM

Thank you again. I did move here, to Enterprise AL, by the date of this post, I have been here for some time now and am thinking about moving again. This time to a 55+ community where there is more support.

I've looked in Florida at 'Top of the World' off hy 200 in Ocala. I also thought about about the "independent living" apartment option, but I like on OTOTW better right now. I wanted to move last spring, but prices are too high and selling has been crazy competitive. I thought I'd wait and see this year out, if the housing market cools and then look again.

If there are other good areas for 55+ communities with villas, or condos, let me know. I also thought about looking in Texas.

There are no 55+ communities in Alabama, or Georgia, not communities and I would need the community support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama