Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times

Advertisements

One I've been coming across recently is someone saying "I'm proud" instead of "I'm happy" or "pleased." Example: "I'm proud of those vegetables you gave us."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:25 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocat View Post
I don't think I remember Fletcher's Barbe que restaurant--what is it close to?
I have caught many mullet myself with a cast net.
Do you know Mary's restaurant? I think it may still be there
We would go there after fishing in the gulf all day on the boat and I am going to go there again someday if it is still there. It was a small restaurant and they had starched white tablecloths and served the same dinner family style to each table. The dinner was gumbo, the dark black hot kind, fried chicken, fried oysters, shrimp. fish, wonderful deviled crab, as many as you wanted. I don't remember what all else. It was not all fried and greasy though. Great great food and atmosphere too. Oh yes, wonderful shrimp creole served over rice. And fabulous cornbread sticks. I'm not sure exactly where it is. It may be near Bon Secour
Mary's is on the Mobile county side of the bay. Just over the Fowl river bridge going towards Bayou la Batre on highway 188.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
People say 'Anyway' on the phone when they aren't sure what to say next..or maybe they just want to hang up..

Old 10-28-2007, 03:31 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
Love this thread. Of course, you know the football thing! WOW! But what pride each side has! I also love colloquialisms! Moving around, I find this one of the most fun things. Here are a few I have come across.
Fix'n to
Instead of goodbye it's "We'll be see'in ya..." Nice, never say goodbye
For thank you "We appreciate ya.." this is a very nice way to put it - more feeling...
Always in the South...
Yes Sir/Ma'am
No Sir/Ma'am
Mr. Mrs. Miss [name]
The best I have heard so far...
for unbelievable "Well I'll be a gold toilet!"
I'm 48 years old and have lived in Alabama all my life. I have NEVER heard "Well I'll be a gold toilet".

Old 10-28-2007, 07:15 PM

58 posts, read 192,824 times
Where the left lane on the interstate is the driving lane and the right lane is the passing lane.....

Who knew? Sign should be posted... Welcome to Alabama the Beautiful...Left is for traffic...Right is for passing...

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,445,095 times
AnyDayNow:

Quote:
One time h and I went out to eat and were surrounded by those cultured people known as 'snowbirds.'
There's a story up here in Huntsville about a couple of local fellows eating lunch at the diner - some damnyankees heard 'em talkin' and commented about how Southerners really -do- speak differently...

Those local fellows were Wernher von Braun and his German rocket team

Old 10-28-2007, 07:54 PM

69 posts, read 254,194 times
Default Proud instead of Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One I've been coming across recently is someone saying "I'm proud" instead of "I'm happy" or "pleased." Example: "I'm proud of those vegetables you gave us."
My mother and her family always say 'Proud' instead of 'Happy'. It's obviously an Alabama thing; haven't heard it anywhere else and I've lived all over the U.S. My mother is 82 and has lived in MI for 60 years. She recently said "I'm so proud that Sarah is comin' up here to visit me". Her sister, Sarah, lives in AL. I was born there, but never lived there beyond babyhood. I love Alabamans!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 22,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
I'm 48 years old and have lived in Alabama all my life. I have NEVER heard "Well I'll be a gold toilet".
I'm 45- same here... that's why it was sooo funny! Got to get into the country and the hills to get the really good ones!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,133 times
tuxedocat, I think the Mary's you referred to earlier was in Magnolia Springs, right on Hwy 98 near the intersection with Baldwin County 49. It was indeed memorable eating! Alas, it is no more, at least as you and I knew it. As I recall, Mary had been one of the principal cooks at that upscale restaurant next to Bon Secour Fisheries on the Bon Secour River. I can't pull the name up to save my life, but it was the one where they put in a round glass dining room right on the banks of the river. Anyway, I think when that place closed down, Mary opened the place over in Magnolia Springs. Sure wish it was still there.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
Me neither...but I like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama