Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 12:06 PM

250 posts, read 529,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
You scare me with that statement as much as anyone I see on the streets. There is something very disturbing about someone who finds it necessary to grab a gun every time he leaves his house.
Is it not entirely possible that we have, at some point in time, walked past each other on the street? Perhaps near the Mustard Seed or that pet store that closed? How would you know if I have a concealed handgun? I don't walk around waving it, and I have never had to draw it. However, I prepare for every possible situation
at all times, which includes calling on inner city Cleveland raising street smarts for things like knowing where to park. The Mustard Seed lot is lighted and safe. But if it were to be crowded and I had to park on Conger or South Highland I would carry my concealed carry gun with me. It's concealed. Nobody knows I have it. And I will use the word pray though I don't believe in such things as I say that every day I pray I hope that THIS is not the day I am attacked and have to use it. Nobody sane wants to kill anybody. I had enough of that in Vietnam. However, I am not going to be a consensual victim. I am at an age that if someone were to try and exert physical dominance over me I can no longer fight back with hands and feet. Thus I have to opt for other methods of self defense.

I do not indulge in the vice lifestyle. Thus the probability of gunplay entering my life is next to nil. I am not out involved in drug deals, I don't hang around bars until they close (and in fact have not had a drink in 26 years - when I quit playing music in bars, I stopped going to them.) That does not discount my love of sport shooting, which I do at least twice a month. In warm weather months I visit a State owned outdoor range where I can fire my rifle. How does any of that translate to some kind of maniac who would walk down a street waving guns like most of you have assumed I am? Guns are meant for protection, not aggression. If I had any ill intent, do you think I would buy guns legally and have a CCW permit that requires identification and a traceable record of that permit on file? I have no felonies on my record. I don't even have a misdemeanor on my record. My entire police history is 5 speeding tickets in 52 years of driving.

If you folks want to be the next innocent bystander who gets killed in a pizza shop robbery, that is your choice. I opt for safety.

To the original topic, "What do I LIKE about living in Akron", the answer is "nothing". I can't stand this mayor, I hate that the city is polarized as badly as it is, and I hate that budget cuts have the police force as lean as it is. Police presence deters crime, but the skeleton crew they have run silly calls all day long and there is very little time for cruising of neighborhoods JUST to show the cops are out there. I listen to the scanner a lot and there are so many calls for a couple arguing, for awful mothers who think it's the police's job to parent their kids and nonsense neighbor feuds where one neighbor goes out and measures how far from his driveway a car is parked, JUST because he doesn't like the person driving it that there is nobody left to cruise and keep the drug aware that police are watching. The cities I am looking at for my move have about 10% the level of crime Akron does. It comes at a price, but I'll pay it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 05:24 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
Is it not entirely possible that we have, at some point in time, walked past each other on the street? Perhaps near the Mustard Seed or that pet store that closed? How would you know if I have a concealed handgun? I don't walk around waving it, and I have never had to draw it. However, I prepare for every possible situation
at all times, which includes calling on inner city Cleveland raising street smarts for things like knowing where to park. The Mustard Seed lot is lighted and safe. But if it were to be crowded and I had to park on Conger or South Highland I would carry my concealed carry gun with me. It's concealed. Nobody knows I have it. And I will use the word pray though I don't believe in such things as I say that every day I pray I hope that THIS is not the day I am attacked and have to use it. Nobody sane wants to kill anybody. I had enough of that in Vietnam. However, I am not going to be a consensual victim. I am at an age that if someone were to try and exert physical dominance over me I can no longer fight back with hands and feet. Thus I have to opt for other methods of self defense.

I do not indulge in the vice lifestyle. Thus the probability of gunplay entering my life is next to nil. I am not out involved in drug deals, I don't hang around bars until they close (and in fact have not had a drink in 26 years - when I quit playing music in bars, I stopped going to them.) That does not discount my love of sport shooting, which I do at least twice a month. In warm weather months I visit a State owned outdoor range where I can fire my rifle. How does any of that translate to some kind of maniac who would walk down a street waving guns like most of you have assumed I am? Guns are meant for protection, not aggression. If I had any ill intent, do you think I would buy guns legally and have a CCW permit that requires identification and a traceable record of that permit on file? I have no felonies on my record. I don't even have a misdemeanor on my record. My entire police history is 5 speeding tickets in 52 years of driving.

If you folks want to be the next innocent bystander who gets killed in a pizza shop robbery, that is your choice. I opt for safety.

To the original topic, "What do I LIKE about living in Akron", the answer is "nothing". I can't stand this mayor, I hate that the city is polarized as badly as it is, and I hate that budget cuts have the police force as lean as it is. Police presence deters crime, but the skeleton crew they have run silly calls all day long and there is very little time for cruising of neighborhoods JUST to show the cops are out there. I listen to the scanner a lot and there are so many calls for a couple arguing, for awful mothers who think it's the police's job to parent their kids and nonsense neighbor feuds where one neighbor goes out and measures how far from his driveway a car is parked, JUST because he doesn't like the person driving it that there is nobody left to cruise and keep the drug aware that police are watching. The cities I am looking at for my move have about 10% the level of crime Akron does. It comes at a price, but I'll pay it.
I'll reiterate.....there is something deeply disturbing about a person who can't leave his house without taking his gun with him. You really need to just stay home.

And that home needs to be way out in the boondocks where you can sit and polish your gun and listen to your scanner, undisturbed by interaction with others human beings.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:36 PM

14 posts, read 11,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeRox View Post
I have lived in Massillon for 3 years now and I hate it. People are rude, every one of my neighbors is either addicted to coke, meth or are pill heads. I have tried dating men from here and they are just gross. Everyone cheats on each other and act like it's normal behavior. I am actually on this site because I am looking for a better place to live. If you don't want negativity about Canton area, don't ask for people's opinions about it. It is a horrible place to live.

I know the poster wasn't looking for negativity, but I saw your post and had to say that I agree with you 100%. I grew up in Canton but left there in 1992. Was offered a job up there in 2007, so decided to give it another go. HUGE MISTAKE. No place is perfect, but the Canton area puts a whole new meaning in a sucky place to live. Good luck with your searching! Shouldn't be too hard to find someplace better, lol.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwitch View Post
I know the poster wasn't looking for negativity, but I saw your post and had to say that I agree with you 100%. I grew up in Canton but left there in 1992. Was offered a job up there in 2007, so decided to give it another go. HUGE MISTAKE. No place is perfect, but the Canton area puts a whole new meaning in a sucky place to live. Good luck with your searching! Shouldn't be too hard to find someplace better, lol.

Can you elaborate on what makes it terrible? I am originally from the Wheeling area of West Virginia. I had family that lived in Canton, so I'd been there a few times growing up, but not enough to really know the area. I then moved to Alabama for about 10 years. If you want to talk about a horrible place to live...that is one. Anyway, I'm in my 30's and single. I am looking for a place to date some normal guys. I also want a city without a ton of crime. I love a place with good restaurants too. Anything you could elaborate on would help! Thanks!!

Old 02-23-2022, 11:02 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WistfulQuiet View Post
Can you elaborate on what makes it terrible? I am originally from the Wheeling area of West Virginia. I had family that lived in Canton, so I'd been there a few times growing up, but not enough to really know the area. I then moved to Alabama for about 10 years. If you want to talk about a horrible place to live...that is one. Anyway, I'm in my 30's and single. I am looking for a place to date some normal guys. I also want a city without a ton of crime. I love a place with good restaurants too. Anything you could elaborate on would help! Thanks!!
I myself haven't lived in Canton, but my family also ended up there for a while from WV/Appalachian Ohio. Canton remains a very old school place, feels like a time warp to visit there from Cleveland. I kinda enjoy that aspect though. Anyway, the city of North Canton is pretty nice you might consider that.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,880 times
I live in a charming historic neighborhood in Kent that’s a hidden gem. I can walk to 2 great breweries and downtown, including the excellent free library. There’s yoga, small coffee shops, and the river. I have pleasant and quiet neighbors with virtually no crime. Ppl keep using the phrase “time warp” and that’s appropriate, but I think especially in terms of how pleasant and affordable Kent is. It may not be like this forever, if it gentrifies or whatever the opposite of gentrify is lol. I’ve lived in kent for ten years and it only gets better but remains relatively very affordable, unlike pretty much every similar place I know of. So those are things I like about Akron area.

Old 03-19-2022, 03:26 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
^ Kent is a hidden gem. The hike and bike trail options are great and very scenic along the river. This along with the good eats and brews plus a college town - makes it a great place to live at any age. Plus you're within easy driving distance to all the amenities of Akron and Cleveland.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:41 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRUHottie4fun View Post
I live in a charming historic neighborhood in Kent that’s a hidden gem. I can walk to 2 great breweries and downtown, including the excellent free library. There’s yoga, small coffee shops, and the river. I have pleasant and quiet neighbors with virtually no crime. Ppl keep using the phrase “time warp” and that’s appropriate, but I think especially in terms of how pleasant and affordable Kent is. It may not be like this forever, if it gentrifies or whatever the opposite of gentrify is lol. I’ve lived in kent for ten years and it only gets better but remains relatively very affordable, unlike pretty much every similar place I know of. So those are things I like about Akron area.
Kent has done a great job developing itself imo. It's not just a collegetown, I think many different types of people can enjoy it. Easy access to Akron, Cleveland and the Mahoning Valley. Ideal in many ways.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WistfulQuiet View Post
In terms of good restaurants, Canton lacks them unless your idea of a good restaurant is a standard chain such as Buffalo Wild Wings or Quaker Steak and Lube or Carrabbas. Its a very depressed area still...but its done a few nice things w/ it's downtown and such.
Crime is a problem and drug addiction is a huge issue.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:15 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwitch View Post
You reminded me that we used to joke that Akron’s motto was, “At least we’re not Canton.”

I agree about Kent. Nice small college and nice family town. I raised my family next door in Stow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
View detailed profiles of: