Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2023, 08:08 PM

10 posts, read 7,877 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions on how to move from the Boston area to SC. I am a bit overwhelmed by it all. My husband and I hope to sell our house shortly and drive with 2 cats and one dog to the Fort Mill area. We plan to rent a house for a short period of time while we look to buy a home. We do have a realtor that we will be working with.

What is the best way to move a houseful of furniture? Pods? Moving company? We plan not to take a lot of our furniture but we have about 200 boxes to move. Then it would need to be stored until we can purchase a house which will get expensive. We may need 2 pods, one that will contain the items that are not being used right away and one that will hold the items that we will need when we arrive.

Any suggestions which companies to use or how to manage this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 06:25 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
When we moved to SC from NJ in 2006 we opted to go with ABF U-pack Freight - you "book" the amount of space you need on one of their tractor trailers, and they come to your house. You load the trailer, and they drive it. It came out cheaper than full-service moving. We had help from friends on the departure side (youth group from church came in handy!) and hired hourly work men from a local moving company on the arrival side. Offered them monetary bonus if they unloaded quickly (versus dragging it out to get paid more). They also offer UBF storage services if you want them to keep your stuff stored and only move it once from your current home to your permanent new residence.

For us, we rented a short-term rental apartment when we got here, and put 90% of our stuff in a storage unit nearby until we found a permanent place to live. For that move we just hired a big U-Haul and hired local moving men to help load and unload out of the storage facility once we bought a house.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:15 PM

328 posts, read 1,196,524 times
I used Pods when I moved to SC in December, 2019. They held my stuff until I found a home to buy and then dropped the Pod off at the house when I was ready to move in. I hired movers to pack and unpack the Pod. Everything worked out perfect. I would use them again in the future but don’t plan on moving anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
View detailed profiles of: