Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 06:35 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I see now, our $21 million from "Pennies for Progress" was not just on paper. The money was given to Tepper and now York County has filed a lawsuit against Tepper's organizations and the City of Rock Hill to get the taxpayers money back.

This was really a dirty deal. The mayor in Rock Hill says ... we did everything we were suppose to do.

York County says Rock Hill did not issue the bonds as agreed.

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/06/10/york...anity-project/
So do you think that Tepper et al simply overextended themselves or had problems with their financing or cost increases or was it some sick effort to leverage some sweeter deal in Charlotte for the team. Seems like Charlotte is forking over a bunch of money for the creation of a new entertainment district around the arena.. so I wonder how much capacity there is to do anything for the Panthers though they too can benefit from a solid Entertainment District Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:09 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
I honestly do not know who is right and who is wrong in this situation. At first, it seemed to me that the Panthers were in the right, but then again it does not seem like they run their organization right from football ops on down.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
So do you think that Tepper et al simply overextended themselves or had problems with their financing or cost increases or was it some sick effort to leverage some sweeter deal in Charlotte for the team. Seems like Charlotte is forking over a bunch of money for the creation of a new entertainment district around the arena.. so I wonder how much capacity there is to do anything for the Panthers though they too can benefit from a solid Entertainment District Uptown.
I don't know. I am sure Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia and other surrounding areas would welcome this type of facility but the Tepper organization is in a legal mess now.

I just can't understand why the mayor of Rock Hill and the City Manager continue to say that Rock Hill complied with the agreement.

Then York County Council, SC State officials and Tepper's group say Rock Hill did not comply with the $25 million bond issue that was in the contract.

This facility was pitched as the York County taxpayers would not be affected financially (tax increase) by this deal with the Panthers. The recent York County lawsuit indicates our tax money has been handed over to the Tepper real estate company. The county wants the $21 million Pennies for Progress money back.

York County is suing Tepper's organizations in addition to suing the City of Rock Hill. I assume they are holding the City of RH responsible for the $21 million from Pennies for Progress handed over to Tepper and RH's failed vanity project.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:38 AM

113 posts, read 127,429 times
I hope when the next reauthorization vote for the Pennies program comes up, taxpayers remember the loss of this 21 million dollars.
That's a hell of a lot of money that should of gone to fixing our deplorable highways in York County.

Council should be absolutely ashamed as to what they've done to the residents of our county.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Top 5 richest owners in the NFL:

David Tepper, Panthers: $16.7 billion (103rd-richest person in the world)
Stan Kroenke, Rams: $10.7 billion.
Jerry Jones, Cowboys: $10.6 billion.
Robert Kraft, Patriots: $8.3 billion (up two spots)
Stephen Ross, Dolphins: $8.2 billion.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:43 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
This is *embarrassing*

ROCK HILL, S.C. (CN2 NEWS) – The failed Carolina Panthers practice facility and headquarters are still being debated in a courtroom.

The City of Rock Hill is asking a judge to dismiss the City in the York County’s lawsuit as a Tepper Defendants.

York County and the Panthers claim the main issue with the project was Rock Hill did not issue the required bonds, but the City of Rock Hill claimed for months now there was no requirement for it to issue the bonds.

https://www.cn2.com/city-asking-to-b...-from-lawsuit/

Old 11-17-2022, 09:10 AM

197 posts, read 278,358 times
It's pretty obvious he was just wanting it as a profit-making development. COVID hit, the economy went sour, Atrium pulled out and he could find no partners for his commercial spaces, no hotel partner, and probably no residential partner. Rather than admit he wanted out for his own reasons, he tried to blame it all on the city. The fact of the matter is this guy is worth over 18 billion and he could build that little practice building with his pocket change. And with the money this guy has, it is just despicable how he is trying to steal from taxpayers with the road money, etc. not to mention leaving a huge eye sore in Rock Hill. And he did a similar thing with Charlotte and Eastland property, although at least no construction was started there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties