Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 09:33 AM

778 posts, read 503,975 times

Advertisements

When I was in college, I took a class; Effective Written Communications. The professor noted on one of my essays that "You write much like you speak." I wasn't sure what that meant, but on thinking about it, that seemed very normal, so I took it as a compliment. For many years I made my living as a writer, churning out technical documents in the aerospace, pharma, engineering, and manufacturing industries. I also wrote novels, screenplays, short stories, etc, which were good for the soul but didn't pay the mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 01:02 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I spend a lot of time telling construction people to write like they speak. Otherwise they use overly long words and tie themselves into knots trying to follow non-existent rules.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:03 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
just a simple question, Do you write the way you speak? If you have poor verbal communication, or you also going have bad writing habits?
I have poor verbal communication skills, but what I think are pretty good writing skills. I'm non-social and not much of a talker in person, but I could write paragraphs and paragraphs over the simplest things and do my best to refrain. I've written and published two books and the editing process was tough. I'm wordy on paper, but silent in real life. There's a frequent poster on this site whose posts are always mini-novellas, so long that I scroll past them every time. I wonder if they're like that in real life? Overly talkative and commanding conversations. I bet they're quiet, like me.

When I see writing that's full of typos or blatant misspellings, stupid slang (filled with LOLs), or incorrect punctuation and lack of paragraph breaks it makes me think the person is stupid. Doesn't mean they are, but that's just the impression they give off. Likewise, by the way I speak I suspect a lot of people think I'm a flat out idiot, but I don't think I am. Just unable to effectively communicate verbally.

Old 08-28-2023, 01:32 PM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't have poor verbal communication, but I write differently than I speak because I can go back and edit!
That's what I was going to say.

Old 08-28-2023, 02:13 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
When I see writing that's full of typos or blatant misspellings, stupid slang (filled with LOLs), or incorrect punctuation and lack of paragraph breaks it makes me think the person is stupid. Doesn't mean they are, but that's just the impression they give off. Likewise, by the way I speak I suspect a lot of people think I'm a flat out idiot, but I don't think I am. Just unable to effectively communicate verbally.
There's a regular poster on city data who often spells words like "yoo" and "wuz." Even though I know that language is fluid and I can parse what they're saying, it would be lying to say that I don't grit my teeth when I see their username come up.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:07 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,818,460 times
In what way? The way I write on forums is the same way I talk. I'm just forced to use a bit less profanity on this puritan ass site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing