Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I have a friend who is no genius but he graduated LAUSD back when LA had decent schools, we met via a mutual interest in electronics and camping. He has the tendency to say something like "I need about 50 foot of rope." I confronted him on that, said he should say "feet," and he admitted being fully aware of the correct way to use the word. He just likes to affect a sort of hick attitude.

He's doing it intentionally, for social reasons, not because of any lack of knowing the correct use.

I don't think that our language is so mutable as to ever allow apostrophe's to be used to form plural's. [sic] (j/k)
Why? That's bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Why? That's bizarre.
Do you think a Yale-educated guy like George W. Bush actually spoke the way he did, or was it all an act to seem more folksy? He certainly won a lot of polls in 2004 where pollsters asked which candidate voters would "rather have a beer with."

In many circles, those who are deemed as "too educated" can be ostracized.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:56 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
I have a friend who is no genius but he graduated LAUSD back when LA had decent schools, we met via a mutual interest in electronics and camping. He has the tendency to say something like "I need about 50 foot of rope." I confronted him on that, said he should say "feet," and he admitted being fully aware of the correct way to use the word. He just likes to affect a sort of hick attitude.

He's doing it intentionally, for social reasons, not because of any lack of knowing the correct use.

I don't think that our language is so mutable as to ever allow apostrophe's to be used to form plural's. [sic] (j/k)
Precisely. Of course there are new words (but some of them probably shouldn't be recognized). Basic rules don't change though.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Well, to go back to my previous point: The company used to be branded as "Wal-Mart;" it's now branded as "Walmart." Even though you wrote the company name incorrectly twice, I still knew what you were talking about.
You are absolutely correct so I most likely won't make that mistake again. No, wait ... that was a typo.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Why? That's bizarre.
In a previous post I noted that some people do not want to appear "uppity" or bumptuous (self-assertive or proud to an irritating degree), and so they act down from their socioeconomic status to get along with less edumicated [sic] people.

I don't like this. I am just describing it.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:28 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Just a minute ago, I saw a college educated person write "50$" on a forum post. I've seen that incorrect form written many times, and have to wonder what's being taught in schools these days.
Perhaps they want others to think that they've traveled extensively or have lived abroad.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:

Haha, yes. Occasionally I will say "Youse guys" just because it's a stereotype of how people from New Jersey speak.

But don't say "Joisey" to people from New Jersey. No one in NJ actually says "Joisey", but we hear it so much that we've developed a reflex to punch people in the face who say that to us.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:42 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In Edison, NJ, there used to be a Ford assembly plant, and next to one of its driveways there was a sign directing workers to the "Employe Entrance".
'Employe' is a variant spelling but is recognized as correct by most references I've found.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
'Employe' is a variant spelling but is recognized as correct by most references I've found.
I think it's an older spelling that was once more common. It might be British; they have firmer pronunciation rules than ours, so for them, one E may have been enough.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:57 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think it's an older spelling that was once more common. It might be British; they have firmer pronunciation rules than ours, so for them, one E may have been enough.
Dictionary.com quotes a British dictionary as saying that "employe" is a US variant, but that the British used to use the French word "employé".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing