Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Was not aware we had a choice.
I'm not clear on what you mean. A choice of what? The OP is about using who or whom. Do you differentiate or do you just more or less ignore any rules about which one to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:00 AM

17 posts, read 18,322 times
Part of the beauty of the English language is its flexibility. We don't speak the language of Shakespeare, nor that of the last King Edward, nor that of George Washington. Our language mutates, expands, contracts, evolves. "Whom" seems a corseted Edwardian grande dame in this age of blue jeans and tee-shirts. Let it retreat to its dry dusty shelves while "who" speeds along on the waves of the 21st century.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I do. But you're right, has the bell tolled for whom?
I suppose the modernized version will be "Peeps what the bell rings for."

Old 01-14-2015, 07:19 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
I just read in the "Letters to the Editor" section of our newspaper, "Whomever decided to support this agenda was unaware of the consequences."

That's really mixing up the usage of who/whom.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I am a 'whomer'.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I suppose the modernized version will be "Peeps what the bell rings for."

Or....."Who dat?"

Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am no expert on grammar but I still use "whom" rather than who when the objective form is called for. I notice that the use of 'whom' seems to be dying out, even among professional communicators. I notice that in a lot of advertising, for example, 'who' is always used. It doesn't really bother me. Years ago I recall William F. Buckley saying that he accepted the use of 'who' as objective (but not 'whom' when the subjective was required).

The other day there was a controversy about some high school students chanting "USA, USA" at a basketball game and the school district superintendent, Dr. Kevin Brown sent out a letter to parents about it:
Alamo Heights ISD letter to parents about Edison-Alamo Heights game incident | kens5.com San Antonio

From the letter:

I was surprised that even a professional educator declines to use 'whom.' In fact the only people I know of who still seem to use it are print journalists, and I like that they do. I once got a chance to ask 'Grammar Girl' Mignon Fogarty (whom I like(haha)) about this. She said that she still greatly preferred that 'whom' be used where appropriate, and did not seem at all pleased that it is dying out.

Grammar Girl :: Quick and Dirty Tips â„¢

So what is your opinion about the use of 'whom?' Do you use it? If so do you look down upon those who don't. If not, how do you feel about those who do? Does it come off as snobby?

I don't like to criticize correct usage, but I think the use of "whom" can come off sounding affectatious when speaking informally. I also don't say "It's I" when I'm at someone's door.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:33 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
He, who uses "whom," is the "him" to whom I wish to speak.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:01 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Just read this in the "Ask Amy" column:
"Toward the end of college, I met a man who I thought was going to be Mr. Right."

Isn't it "whom"....or am I mistaken?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Just read this in the "Ask Amy" column:
"Toward the end of college, I met a man who I thought was going to be Mr. Right."

Isn't it "whom"....or am I mistaken?
No, it's not "whom". Easy trick to check, rearrange the sentence. "Who" goes with "He, She, They". "Whom" goes with "Him, Her, Them".

What works--"I thought HE was going to be Mr. Right", or "I thought HIM was going to be Mr. Right."

It's "he", so it's "who".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing