Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 04:41 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times

Advertisements

huge amount of people of Russian ancestry , as well as New York so of course they character of the population is quite european
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 04:57 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowingalot3 View Post
Why is it part of European organisations when it is clearly Asia why not an Asianvision song contest when it is in Asia in fact it is closer to Africa than it is to Europe for instance Israel borders Egypt though the Sinai Egypt is a African country so Israel should be able to join the African Cup rather the Euros makes no sense whatsoever it does even share any borders even one tiny little bit of Europe.
Australia joined the Eurovision but it is as far away from Europe as possible please explain why non European countries are part European organisations why don't European countries join African and Asian organisations than should Spain join the African Union cause it borders Morocco should should Russia join NAFTA because of the bering stait when it is clearly more Asian than North American
Well I really don't get it.
Obviously you haven't really researched the history of the area. Yes, Israel geographically is located in Asia but due to the state of war Israel had with all its Muslim neighbors prior to signing its first peace treaty with Egypt in 1979, there was no way for Israel to participate in any African/Asian competitions easily as other Muslim countries in Asia and Africa boycotted Israel (and/or didn't have diplomatic ties with it). Even now Israeli citizens are barred from entry in Indonesia (which is a Muslim country although not Arab). So in that context it makes sense that Israel was allowed to join European competitions like the European Basketball Cup or the Eurovision song contest (as a country relatively close to the European border).

As for Australia (in more recent years) being allowed to participate in the Eurovision, my only guess is that it is due to it being part of the British Commonwealth.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:35 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Why is it part of European organisations when it is clearly Asia why not an Asianvision song contest when it is in Asia in fact it is closer to Africa than it is to Europe for instance Israel borders Egypt though the Sinai Egypt is a African country so Israel should be able to join the African Cup rather the Euros makes no sense whatsoever it does even share any borders even one tiny little bit of Europe.
Australia joined the Eurovision but it is as far away from Europe as possible please explain why non European countries are part European organisations why don't European countries join African and Asian organisations than should Spain join the African Union cause it borders Morocco should should Russia join NAFTA because of the bering stait when it is clearly more Asian than North American
Punctuation is your friend.

I think your question is "why is Israel's culture more European than Asian".

So-what do you consider "Asian" culture? Clearly there is a major difference between Middle Eastern culture (though it's on the Asian continent) than what we consider "Southeast Asian" (what we used to call the Orient) culture or Russian culture, most of which is in Asia. Of those (and I'm sure it could be divided further) Israel is closest to Middle Eastern nations than to Southeast Asian ones in proximity, so that's where the comparison lies.

So, comparing the rest of the Middle East to Israel, the obvious divider is religion. Israel embraces Jewish traditions and culture, embraces science, technology, education, a strong work ethic, and generosity, compassion and humanity. Islamic culture follows the words of an illiterate warlord that murdered, raped, stole and was a pedophile. That told his followers to kill those not subjugated by Islam. One that does not embrace science or progress, but instead embraces 7th century culture. One that embraces violence and conquest, not compassion and humanity.

So...yes. Israel's culture is probably more "European" than "Middle Eastern". I think we should be thankful.

Old 03-04-2024, 12:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
I don't think Israel is 'considered to be European', its clearly in Asia, however you might say its culture is a bit more 'European' than 'Asian' though I would say its just more 'Western' than most of Asia.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:40 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
I never thought of Israel as European, then again I never thought of St Barts as European either despite whites originally from Europe are most of the people there. In order for a country to be European, a very basic requirement is to be in Europe. Israel has a bit of a problem in that front. lol Now Russia is one of where do you think Europe ends and Asia begins, but regardless Israel will never be in Europe.

What’s next? Singapore is Chinese? Taiwan is give or take (the Taiwanese doesn’t like to be lumped with China despite China says they are part of China but the Taiwanese say they are their own thing different from China, but Taiwanese people are largely of Chinese extraction), but Singapore has none of that issue. At one point it wanted to be part of Malaysia, but eventually the Malays said “that’s alright” and kicked them out. Yikes!

I never thought of Barbados as African despite most people are of African origin. Never thought of Argentina, Uruguay, Canada or the USA as European.

I have always considered Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, etc as African. No, they aren’t the same as Nigeria, Angola or Ethiopia; but all of them are in Africa. So, that’s that.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-04-2024 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-04-2024, 09:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 491,363 times
I don't really think of isrealies as European but many people there do have grandparents from Europe.

When I did my DNA test the small amount of Jewish DNA I got was located in Europe, not in the Levant.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:52 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Israel is a middle eastern nation and is seen as much. It wouldn't really be a Western Country at all

Old 03-05-2024, 07:08 AM

990 posts, read 879,142 times
Quote:
Israel only competes in continental sports (and music) competitions in Europe and not in Asia or Africa because if its athletes set foot on the soil of Islamic countries they would be easy prey for kidnappings and terrorist attacks. Even at the Berlin Olympics they suffered terrorist attacks.

In the case of Australia, they play club and national team football competitions across Asia in search of greater competitiveness. On its continent, besides New Zealand, there are only small islands that have an amateur level of football.

In South America, Guyana and Suriname, countries with less than 1 million inhabitants, prefer to compete in all sporting competitions in the Caribbean and North American leagues, because they do not have the competitiveness to face teams from the leagues of large South American countries.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:27 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Culturally, Israel seems more European or even American than African or Asian.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:14 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Israel is Western, not European. There's a difference. It's a settler colony like the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World