Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and/or visit?
WA state for both 11 15.28%
UK for both 27 37.50%
WA for living, UK for visiting 25 34.72%
UK for living, WA for visiting 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 02:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

I chose the UK.

Yes, Washington State has similar terrain and weather to BC, and would be familiar to me, I just can't live in the US full time.

I mentioned this in another comparison thread, but the politics of the US, the lack of reasonable gun laws, and no UHC is enough to not want to have a life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 02:18 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I also thought saibot, wanted to move in from the weather, although it seems he can't bring himself to do so.
I like the weather just fine where I live, thanks.

As far as I can tell, this whole "UK weather" thing took off after I commented that I thought Washington wins out in the category of weather only because it has more variety. For some reason some British posters here were butthurt about that and started babbling about inaccurate stereotypes.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Washington state to live because it's closer to home. UK to visit.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:26 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

As far as I can tell, this whole "UK weather" thing took off after I commented that I thought Washington wins out in the category of weather only because it has more variety. For some reason some British posters here were butthurt about that and started babbling about inaccurate stereotypes.
There is nothing wrong with the UK weather, indeed mild winters and comfortable summers are far better than extreme weather, and the UK has seasonal weather.

In terms of the rest of your post, all I have done is introduced facts that show that the UK is actually less rainy in many areas than other parts of Europe and when compared to other cities.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:55 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the UK weather, indeed mild winters and comfortable summers are far better than extreme weather, and the UK has seasonal weather.

In terms of the rest of your post, all I have done is introduced facts that show that the UK is actually less rainy in many areas than other parts of Europe and when compared to other cities.

He didn't say anything was wrong with it.

And yea, the UK has mild winters and comfortable summers for some people. It's in a fairly moderate band in regards to seasonal temperature variation. The thing is, that's also a climate that can be found in Washington state as well. There's actually a very wide variation of climate that can be found in Washington state due to its coastal location with a lot of inlets (shared with the UK), but also an interior far from the sea (not shared by the UK), and most importantly, multiple tall mountain ranges that greatly change the climate both on the mountain and downwind of major climate patterns (very much not shared with the UK). Washington state encompasses a large variety of climates in a short area and that includes overlap in parts with the UK's climate. It's what makes its natural scenery so attractive as it has such massive shifts.

These are the climate types found within the UK using the fairly popular Koppen climate classification, though the varietal difference will be found under any major climate classification system.

None of this was about how rainy the UK is compared to other European capitals or mistaken stereotypes of the UK's weather. The whole thing started off with an accurate statement that was misinterpreted in a gut reaction that someone simply *must be* stereotyping British weather when no one said anything of the sort.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:58 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
He didn't say anything was wrong with it.

And yea, the UK has mild winters and comfortable summers for some people. It's in a fairly moderate band in regards to seasonal temperature variation. The thing is, that's also a climate that can be found in Washington state as well. There's actually a very wide variation of climate that can be found in Washington state due to its coastal location with a lot of inlets (shared with the UK), but also an interior far from the sea (not shared by the UK), and most importantly, multiple tall mountain ranges that greatly change the climate both on the mountain and downwind of major climate patterns (very much not shared with the UK). Washington state encompasses a large variety of climates in a short area and that includes overlap in parts with the UK's climate. It's what makes its natural scenery so attractive as it has such massive shifts.

These are the climate types found within the UK using the fairly popular Koppen climate classification, though the varietal difference will be found under any major climate classification system.

None of this was about how rainy the UK is compared to other European capitals or mistaken stereotypes of the UK's weather. The whole thing started off with an accurate statement that was misinterpreted in a gut reaction that someone simply *must be* stereotyping British weather when no one said anything of the sort.
What was said and backed up by UK Meteorological Office, is that firstly it does not rain all the time in London and the UK, and secondly rain fall patterns vary in the UK with most rain on the western hills.

In terms of Washington State it might have much more diverse and extreme weather, however more winters and extreme heat is not something I would always see as a plus point.

As for the weather, other formers have asked that the subject be moved on, so that is my final post on the matter. As for the links see my previous posts.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:39 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
What was said and backed up by UK Meteorological Office, is that firstly it does not rain all the time in London and the UK, and secondly rain fall patterns vary in the UK with most rain on the western hills.

In terms of Washington State it might have much more diverse and extreme weather, however more winters and extreme heat is not something I would always see as a plus point.

As for the weather, other formers have asked that the subject be moved on, so that is my final post on the matter. As for the links see my previous posts.

Sure, but the problem was that easthome and then you were responding to saibot who didn't say anything contrary to that.

I think you're misreading the map there. Washington state has large portions with the weather pattern that the UK has. It also has a diversity of other climates including ones that have less severe winters without extreme heat. It simply has more climate types within its area, and that's inclusive of the type you like in the UK. It essentially has more types of climates in its borders so there's a greater shot at having a climate to suit any preferences. Probably one of the more widely liked climates is the warm summer (not hot summer) mediterranean climate which is also one of the climate types there.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:45 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, but the problem was that easthome and then you were responding to saibot who didn't say anything contrary to that.
I was asked pointedly if I considered the entire UK rainy/drizzly. I responded truthfully that compared to where I live, which is a hot-summer Mediterranean climate, it is. This is not by any means the same as saying "It rains all the time in the UK." The whole thing is a misunderstanding fostered by people who are oversensitive to the fact that the UK climate overall IS rainy/drizzly in comparison with Mediterranean, semi-arid, and arid climates, and someone who lives in any of these is going to consider that it's wet, a lot of the
time.

The poster you were responding to may not see any need for very snowy winters or very hot summers, but you are absolutely right that there are plenty of people who like one or the other or both, and a location that offers various climate options within a relatively short radius is objectively going to please more people than a location which has few.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:52 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
I'm curious if any of the posters from the UK have been to Washington State, and how many American ones have been to the UK?

This Canadian has been to both. The UK, including driving up to Scotland, a few times and I can't count the number of times to Washington State, western and eastern Washington.

As for climate and terrain, the UK does not have anything remotely like eastern Washington.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:51 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Because posters pointed out you're basing your assumptions on British weather based on inaccurate stereotypes doesn't make anybody 'butthurt', its not a 'dig' because most people I the world make the same mistake! You and some 'other' posters on here are the ones making a big deal out of it! That's probably because one can tell 'Johnny Foreigner' until one is 'blue in the face' that in fact London is a cloudy/drizzly city is just a bad stereotype but they simply won't have it! You see the stereotype is soooooo strong that somebody living in Texas and has never even been to the UK will even argue the point with somebody that actually lives in London.

No 'butthurt', no looking for an argument, not even a comment on the thread itself but - if you want to learn something the actual truth of the matter is that London and the SE of the UK is not a particularly 'wet' place, its not particularly 'dry' either, if anything the weather in the UK is VERY easy to live with, its not wet, its not dry, its not hot, its not cold, climate in the UK rarely gets in the way of life like it can in MANY other parts of the world. Where I live (Sussex coast) in the SE of the UK also gets around 1900-2000 hours of sunshine annually and when you take into account that both here and in London itself by far most of that sunshine happens over 9 months it also shows that, while not a 'sunny' climate its also probably a LOT sunnier than the stereotype suggests, well for half the year anyway! The fact that the UK is so far north means that in the winter time sunshine really is at a premium, its dark early, it can be a bit depressing because you see in Britain during the winter months the sun will only rise between 10 and 20 degrees above the horizon!! Even a spattering of cumulus clouds will block the sun at such a ridiculously low angle, in fact the Sussex coast has more sunshine hours in the summer months than Bordeaux in South West France!

So there you have it, seriously personally I'm not 'butthurt', not suggesting anything, just using my experience as a citizen of this part of the world to (perhaps) dispel this myth that England is simply rain/drizzly all the time, I thought perhaps it would 'enlighten' some people. Now I fully expect somebody to tell me that despite living here I'm 'wrong' because their uncle once came to the UK for a holiday once and it rained every day but like I said that's because people tend to think of stereotypes as some kind of gospel truth, no doubt I'm the same when it comes to stereotypical things I've heard about 'other countries' too!

People can take all of this anyway they want, I just thought perhaps the truth of the matter MIGHT just be of interest to some, but if not then its no big deal. Coming next 'time to dispel the equally ridiculous - British people have bad teeth myth!!'

Tomorrow I'm off to the beach............................lets hope I don't end up sitting on it while it 'drizzles' on me!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650497
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World