Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and/or visit?
WA state for both 12 16.44%
UK for both 27 36.99%
WA for living, UK for visiting 25 34.25%
UK for living, WA for visiting 9 12.33%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:29 AM

27,336 posts, read 13,597,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusgan View Post
Uh, you absolutely can beat the U.K., for both, in other countries globally, but I’d also say the US has accrued a dense, fascinating, and influential culture that surpasses the U.K. Historically, it’s better than the US, but I can see old buildings and towns and neighborhoods here, and there are better places to see history in Europe than the U.K. And I don’t get praising a country just because it existed for a long time. The US has created a cultural legacy that frequently gets held up to “Europe” in international pissing contests, it’s that dynamic and massive, and that’s in just 250 years of nationhood (longer than most countries today have been around…)

Artistically, technologically, filmically, musically, athletically, academically, the US generally offers a lot more than the U.K., all around. It’s a cultural behemoth and superpower on a continental scale, that has exerted massive influence in all of these spheres reaching back well into the 19th century, at least…
Yet another new poster who has just come here to find and old thread and to use to try and attack Britain with, which makes me suspicious that you are just a well known troll whose posts ate beyond tedious.

You seem to flit between referring to Washington State and the US as a whole and seem to take great pleasure in deriding British history and arts/culture, as well as it's academic and education sectors as well as it's innovation and technology.

You then take aim at sports and entertainment, as well as filmically the US is also superior, before trying to belittle Britain even further.

I would suggest that if you actually check Britain is highly respected in many of these areas, and in terms of the US as a whole it is a much bigger country and is more similar in geographic size to Europe than the UK, whilst the population is much larger.

In this respect you so realise that two of the great culture hubs of London and Paris are only a couple of miles away by train, and the UK and Europe have lots of interesting history and fantastic culture including music and the arts, technology, academic institutions and research etc, as do many US cities.

In terms of Washington State it's not really comparable to a country the size of the UK with a capital city the size of London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World