Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:36 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Why do we have to make a choice? Both are outstandingly scenic and both have areas of great ugliness.
Where do you consider great area of ugliness in Italy? I went over half the country and didn't see it. I've been all over California top to bottom and across and they definitely have some very ugly areas as well as some of the most beautiful areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 AM

209 posts, read 304,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Natural scenery. Even the first pic barely qualifies as it has buildings in it.

I would think it terms of diversity, California might have the edge. In terms of consistency, Italy.
California - SkyscraperCity

Italy - One picture every day - Page 317 - SkyscraperCity

Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
The word natural is in the title of the thread. Please explain to me how skyscrapers are natural scenery.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:35 AM

209 posts, read 304,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The word natural is in the title of the thread. Please explain to me how skyscrapers are natural scenery.
What?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,558 times
Italy.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,216 times
Well, I think most of the suburbs of Italian cities are ugly and mar the natural scenery. Have you seen the surroundings of Milan, Venice, Palermo to mention some areas? The coast between Siracusa and Catania marred by huge and ugly petrochemical works. Parts of Basilicata and Calabria are barren and very unattractive including the coastline of southeast Calabria. The city of Reggio. Most of this ugliness is man made. Italy does have magnificent scenery otherwise and still is one of my favorite countries to visit.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
I voted Italy....but.....I think I made a mistake. Focussing JUST on natural beauty, California wins because of the diversity of it's landscapes.

In terms of human made beauty...Italy wins easily.

I've been all over California and most of Italy except the far south.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:15 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,182,938 times
I dislike Southern California but the northern part is pretty.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Italy wins.

California has nothing like the Italian Alps where they look bluish and ice-like, its simply fantastic!!! Plus, Italy isn't really a desert place that has been artificially greened (much of southern California is a virtual desert). The beaches are also much nicer in Italy. Then there are those odd looking pines that are not conical and are practically unique to Italy, I love those!!!!

Italy is simply better as far as natural scenery is concerned.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
California has areas more beautiful and much uglier. Yosemite is one of the special places on the planet, Tahoe is gorgeous but at least half of California is ugly. All of Italy is scenic.
What areas of California would you say are ugly? Are you conflating the ugly suburban-sprawl of the state with the natural scenery, which is indeed beautiful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Italy wins.

California has nothing like the Italian Alps where they look bluish and ice-like, its simply fantastic!!! Plus, Italy isn't really a desert place that has been artificially greened (much of southern California is a virtual desert). The beaches are also much nicer in Italy. Then there are those odd looking pines that are not conical and are practically unique to Italy, I love those!!!!

Italy is simply better as far as natural scenery is concerned.
Don't you think the Sierra Nevada range of California is fantastic as well?

Only the eastern areas of Southern California would be dry enough to actually be considered desert; much of Southern California falls under the Med climate regime, although a drier version of the regime than that which occurs in the Med Basin.

The beaches of California look the exact same as those on the Med; the only thing that could possibly make the beaches of Italy better is probably the warmer water, but that's is. Both Italy and California beaches have similar sand and water color.

You have forests of redwoods in CA, the tallest trees on the planet, quite unique to California. You won't be seeing any of that in Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World