Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mexico City or Madrid?
Mexico City 29 38.67%
Madrid 46 61.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Compare in all the usual factors. Obviously, quality of life probably goes to Madrid. I'm most curious about these measures:

Architecture - Spain has a longer European history but Mexico City has tons of colonial buildings as well as the pre-colonial Aztec civilisation.

Entertainment/Nightlife - Both have that Latin flair. Mexico City is a monster yet Madrid is renowned for it's nightlife. Which do you think comes out top?

Dining - I've heard good things about both. It would depend if you prefer Mexican or Spanish food, but both have diverse international dining scenes.

Scenery - I'd probably say Mexico City is more stunning.

People/Friendliness - No idea about this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
We need a expert who has been to both cities and has experienced what the op has listed, this is a very hard thread to answer in the criteria well at least for me

Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
I've been to Madrid many times and to MC once. I liked MC but didn't love it - though my stay was short. It's a fascinating city with some cool neighborhoods, great food scene and a lot of interesting architecture, but it's rough around the edges. Madrid is cleaner, safer, more beautiful (IMO) and overall much more "polished". Its cultural pedigree is second to none featuring some of the best museums in the world (including 4 of the 50 most visited). Its nightlife is world famous, and its food scene is unquestionably the best in Spain. Madrid also might just have the very best urban infrastructure of any city in the world - an even more extensive subway network than Barcelona, state of the art airport, hub of the Spanish high speed rail network (the most extensive in Europe) and a mind-blowingly dense motorway network. It is an amazing city and one of my 3 favorite in Europe (with London and Barcelona). MC is a great city as well but Madrid is out of its league.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM

768 posts, read 879,564 times
Mexico city air is like smoking 20 cigarettes a day. Also your family gets kidnapped by drug dealers if you are anything approaching wealthy. Basically its a dump.

Madrid is a proud european city on the other hand, with many great churches and museums.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times
^^

Ok your opinion on DF is very outdated and your last sentence is indicative that you've never even been there.

I've been to both DF and Madrid and yes it's a valid comparison based on the OPs criterion

Both are fabulous cities jammed packed with history and culture.
As so someone already mentioned above Mexico city can be rough around the edges to a certain extent but it's quite easy to find yourself in some fantastic charming neighborhoods.

For sceney DF is surrounded by mountains and snowcaped volcanoes, 2 hours east and west of the capital there are oceans.
For museums both are packed with them, Mexico DF has some really neat world renowned museums.

For food it's hard to chose, but consider Mexican along with French are the only two cuisines recognized by UNESCO.

Nightlife IMO goes to Madrid, I didn't really have a chance to party in DF.

Both have really great subways and wonderful architecture. I do think DF has a better skyline though.

Anyways both are really great cities, loved them both.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
I love Mexico City

People there >>>>

Mexican culture >>>>>>>

Mexican Architecture >>>>>>>>>

Madrid is likely the better, cleaner, safer, more historical, more advanced city but I love Mexico City and that's my choice.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
^^

Ok your opinion on DF is very outdated and your last sentence is indicative that you've never even been there.

I've been to both DF and Madrid and yes it's a valid comparison based on the OPs criterion

Both are fabulous cities jammed packed with history and culture.
As so someone already mentioned above Mexico city can be rough around the edges to a certain extent but it's quite easy to find yourself in some fantastic charming neighborhoods.

For sceney DF is surrounded by mountains and snowcaped volcanoes, 2 hours east and west of the capital there are oceans.
For museums both are packed with them, Mexico DF has some really neat world renowned museums.

For food it's hard to chose, but consider Mexican along with French are the only two cuisines recognized by UNESCO.

Nightlife IMO goes to Madrid, I didn't really have a chance to party in DF.

Both have really great subways and wonderful architecture. I do think DF has a better skyline though.

Anyways both are really great cities, loved them both.
A couple of observations.

When it comes to museums, Madrid has 3 of the greatest art collections in the world in the Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen forming Madrid's famed "Golden Triangle of Art". Really when it comes to art museums Madrid stands shoulder to shoulder with London, Paris and New York. Mexico City has a great archeology museum but it has no art museums of the same caliber.

Also, on the subject of subways DF has a great network but Madrid has an amazing one - possibly the best in Europe (if not the world) given its size and population. Consider the statistics: DF's system has 195 stations across 12 lines and 125 miles of track in a city of 8.8 million and metro area of 21 million. That's an impressive system but Madrid, though a much smaller city, has a substantially bigger one -- 272 stations across 13 lines and 182 miles -- in a city of only 3.2 million / 6 million in the metro.

Madrid also, of course, has a great commuter rail network reaching deep into the suburbs. Mexico City doesn't.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 AM

295 posts, read 1,154,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
^^
Not really.
The same year the UNESCO recognized the French cuisine, also recognized the Mediterranean cuisine, including the Spanish, the Italian, the Greek and the Moroccan.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Not really.
The same year the UNESCO recognized the French cuisine, also recognized the Mediterranean cuisine, including the Spanish, the Italian, the Greek and the Moroccan.
I thought they also recognised Chinese and Japanese?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 AM

57 posts, read 181,545 times
Both cities are pretty cool. I know some friends from Europe that in MC and love it.
I've been to Madrid never MC. When I think of MC I think funky hipster city and crazy with pollution which is tragic to me and Madrid to me is more elegant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World