Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 413 times

Advertisements

We have an internal group IM channel and for the team to post any information that you would like to share. I made some conntribution to some difficulties, and shared what I have done with the team through the IM channel, only focus on what the solution was, and not anything else. But, I don't know why, the IM channel keeps silent, with no any acknowlegement or maybe an appreciation note from co-workers or manager.

No matter what, I am thinking to say sometime next time when it happens again, but, not sometime to bring any conflict, or anything could make others feel I am quibble over every detail.

Would you please offer some advise on what I should say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 07:05 AM

467 posts, read 291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjlfod View Post
Nothing. Welcome to the real world.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:18 AM

2,004 posts, read 1,003,380 times
I just wouldn't share anything again.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:35 AM

6,576 posts, read 8,436,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjlfod View Post
We have an internal group IM channel and for the team to post any information that you would like to share. I made some conntribution to some difficulties, and shared what I have done with the team through the IM channel, only focus on what the solution was, and not anything else. But, I don't know why, the IM channel keeps silent, with no any acknowlegement or maybe an appreciation note from co-workers or manager.

No matter what, I am thinking to say sometime next time when it happens again, but, not sometime to bring any conflict, or anything could make others feel I am quibble over every detail.

I know that company culture has a lot do with it but keeping up morale is key to retaining good employees and I think it's important that a manager (and yes, even your co-workers) to occasionally express that you bring value to the team, you're doing a good job, etc.

But if it's not happening on this informal IM channel, I don't recommend that you say anything. If it's bothering you, I would suggest that you schedule a check-in meeting with your manager to discuss your areas of strengths and weaknesses and see what comes out of that.

Is it part of your company's culture to acknowledge a job well done?

Old 05-07-2024, 08:15 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,826,124 times
Great job! lol.

It's just the culture of your team. I personally think you would benefit from getting a bit of a harder attitude. That means to not be offended at something so small. I am taking an educated guess that you are new to working.

If you want to get your point across, say something funny like "yeah, you guys are welcome" or "I accept cash and gift cards" or "no no, no thanks needed. It's enough knowing that I contributed to the solution" or "what other problems can I solve for you today", there are a billion ways it can be said. Funny, sarcastic, and a little mockery.

So harden up and don't expect a trophy at every corner.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:26 AM

22,655 posts, read 47,843,952 times
IDK... isn't your paycheck acknowledgment of a job well done?
Participation trophies are unicorns in the business world, first time poster.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:41 AM

6,759 posts, read 8,609,324 times
Since when do you expect to be praised for just doing what you're being paid to do?
A job is for making a living, not for affirming how special you think you are. When I was in the military, you got job satisfaction from making sure all your guys came back alive. No non-com would ever think to go to a recruit and say " You really polished your boots nice today, good job!"

Grow up and put on your big girl panties and just do your job.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:48 AM

3,162 posts, read 1,621,092 times
Do other participants receive "attaboys"? If not, I wouldn't expect anything. If so, perhaps mention to your manager that you are not receiving much positive feedback and can he/she offer any insight on why -- could be a variety of reasons including your contribution is not as noteworthy as you think.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:59 AM

9,467 posts, read 8,448,946 times
Yes, demanding acknowledgement via IM for the world to see should serve you well. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:30 AM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
More info needed. You didn't say whether you're the only one who doesn't get acknowledgement, or if that's typical behavior on the platform you're using. We have no idea what the significance is, if any, of silence to your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment