Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 06:36 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

Does your employer forbid the hiring of employee family members/close relatives?

If they encourage it, does your company have specific rules for it (ex. a manager cannot supervise their relative) or do they make no bones about people's perception of favoritism/bias?

My first retail job expressively forbid the hiring of family members. I didn't grasp it at the time and thought it was a stupid idea. Fast forward fifteen years and exposure to different corporate cultures, and now I understand why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 07:18 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Does your employer forbid the hiring of employee family members/close relatives?

If they encourage it, does your company have specific rules for it (ex. a manager cannot supervise their relative) or do they make no bones about people's perception of favoritism/bias?

My first retail job expressively forbid the hiring of family members. I didn't grasp it at the time and thought it was a stupid idea. Fast forward fifteen years and exposure to different corporate cultures, and now I understand why.
I have never worked for an employer that forbade the hiring of family members of current employees, but my employer have all been pretty large organizations. However, most of not all had specific rules regarding such relationships, most importantly that a family member cannot act as a supervisor of another. It's a very good rule that all medium/large sized businesses should adopt. I understand that family businesses and other closely held businesses operate a little differently, but there are some folks who won't work for closely held businesses because of the favoritism that there often is for family member employees.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:44 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
The company I actually work for, no. The company I contract with will hire family, but it will be in another department or plant, or shift.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
I've never personally worked for a company that just outright prohibited people from being hired if they have a relative working at the same place. However, just about every one of them had a nepotism policy.

I've worked at two places where someone MIGHT have questioned things. A large consulting firm where the CEO's kid was a staff consultant there as well. While the lines eventually connected - realistically, there were enough layers that it was unlikely an issue. Most people didn't even know since the guy wasn't the type to throw that knowledge around. The other was a husband/wife genomics team that ran a lab for a biotech I worked at. In that sense, they were essentially a team with regards to the work they were doing.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

8,050 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Years ago I worked at a major tire manufacturing company and it was very common to hire family of existing workers. It was astonishing what happened. One guy was the head of H.R. and both his kids were hired and then were pushed up into upper management positions in less than half the time it took other more competent people to progress. A lot of un-connected people were resentful of this.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have had that situation, even spouses working here, but when the wife got promoted and would have supervised her husband, he got transferred to another department. We do not allow a manager to supervise their relative, but do allow relatives to be hired. It did get messy once when a different husband and wife got divorced and both still worked here. Recently two engineers in different departments got married, a brother and sister both work in the same building but different departments, and we had a father and son in different departments.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Essentially in the same division with direct supervisory capacity.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Our company used to forbid it.

Then COVID happened, and we can't find anyone else. Now the whole family works here

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
When I worked in the glass plant over 40 years ago I was one of the few people who wasn't related to more than three other employees.

There were entire families who worked there: Dad, Mom, kids, in-laws with some having two or three generations there at the same time.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post

Not at all. It's a family business, and his sons all work with us. They keep their heads down and do their work like the rest of us. None of them are management. In fact, I'm not sure he would ever put any in management because he is too aware of the implications. I believe they will each move on to bigger things eventually in another company, or perhaps even start branches of our company in other cities where we have client bases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment