Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 08:11 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times

Advertisements

The problem is the OP's original post doesn't make it clear if there is every any additional compensation or promotion potential associated with taking on the duties of "lead." Mine used "lead" specifically to avoid paying the additional compensation. "Additional duties as assigned" don't affect the compensation range of the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 11:37 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,716,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
I am part of a small team of 4 that they want to perform the duties of the "Lead" as it called. The other three are already trained on the new work but since I was out of the office due to medical issues (Cancer diagnosis followed by surgery/treatment), I have yet to have the training.

The others apparently raised no ire at this but I don't see how my work can train us and expect us to perform the same duties as the better paid Lead without raising our/my pay to match. If I'm going to take on more responsibilities, I personally expect to be paid for that. While the others on my team are the "Keep your head down, do whatever is asked of you like a good soldier," I am not that. It seems like my employer is trying to get away with something illegal/against contract.
I don't exactly understand why you think this is illegal. As long as an employer isn't asking you to do anything illegal they can change your requirements. Of course, you aren't required to stay there if you don't like it. However, if you just decide to leave you better have good documentation as to these increased expectations beyond your job requirement. Because if you leave and they decide to dispute your Unemployment claim, without proof of your reason for leaving you may be just out of luck. If you have a contract it may be more of an easily identifiable "line in the sand".

Something to think about. In many companies, people that "go the extra mile", are going to be the ones noticed. They are going to be the ones who are seen to get promotions or higher raises. So these people doing things you don't think you need to will probably be the ones who would be the first ones considered for the job you think you should have with these increased duties.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:57 PM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Take on the extra role, use it in your next yearly performance review to negotiate a raise or promotion, if it looks like neither will ever happen then use the experience on your resume when looking for a new job.
^^^^

This!

Old 04-17-2024, 02:07 PM

35,096 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
As other's said - there's no "illegalities" about it unless you have a contract the specifically covers this.

In a real world scenario - it's up to you on how to respond/deal with it. Does taking over the role provide more to put on your resume? Make you more marketable? If so, maybe an opportunity. And better in terms of the career plan?

Bottom line - there's two ways to look at it:
  • Show them you can be the lead, then ask for the promotion.
  • Or, don't lift a finger unless they pay you what you feel is right.

In the end - neither is right/wrong - you have to make that decision. IMO - the 2nd option seems a little myopic.... but it's not my decision to make.
What likely happens is that the OP does the work and still doesn't get the raise.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What likely happens is that the OP does the work and still doesn't get the raise.
If they assess the new role/opportunity correctly - it would likely make them more marketable from the additional skills achieved. So if the current company doesn't pay what they're worth, it's very likely someone else well.

Just my .02 - while low level jobs might be 1:1 in terms of pay vs. effort. that ratio isn't as linear when it comes to more skilled positions. It's shortsighted to only consider pay and not look at the skills you may gain from potential opportunities. Again, just my opinion. And of course, there's no way to accurately apply metrics to compare.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:44 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Looking at some of OP's recent posts he has been trying to push his employer in the past and wants to move to FL. As his medical situation seems to be under control why not pack up and move instead of another round of "I am right".

Old 04-18-2024, 05:48 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Been there, done that. That's why I suggested that they do the work, as requested, but if the raises/promotions don't come, then create a "plan B" for themselves. I say this as someone who got sucked into the spiral of empty promises made by my employer.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:54 AM

17,340 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
I am part of a small team of 4 that they want to perform the duties of the "Lead" as it called. The other three are already trained on the new work but since I was out of the office due to medical issues (Cancer diagnosis followed by surgery/treatment), I have yet to have the training.

The others apparently raised no ire at this but I don't see how my work can train us and expect us to perform the same duties as the better paid Lead without raising our/my pay to match. If I'm going to take on more responsibilities, I personally expect to be paid for that. While the others on my team are the "Keep your head down, do whatever is asked of you like a good soldier," I am not that. It seems like my employer is trying to get away with something illegal/against contract.

Do you really want to start an issue after being out of work?

ME: I'd let it go and get back into the routine, showing them you are up to task 100% before rocking the boat.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
In my 25 years in the corporate world, I have been promoted (unsolicited) 6 times and my salary today is nine times what it was when I first started. Each and every time I was already doing the work of the higher level. And it wasn't because my management "asked" me to; it was because I sought out the additional responsibilities.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:03 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,361,234 times
Quote:

It's not illegal. Employers could pay an administrative assistant an engineers salary and an actual engineer could be paid less than said administrative assistant. I have seen it many places. It depends on the politics of the office and how they view you. You can make a stink about it and back it up with your experience, accomplishments, etc. or you could leave, do better, get paid your commensurate salary.

Last edited by quiet life; 04-18-2024 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment