Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2024, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

the real kick in the nuts w/this one is that he was stoked to bring me on, so was i however since its swing shifts, i was told it changes once a month (one on days, one on nights) but its every two weeks.

but all that aside, i accepted the job & moved back to my hometown for it which was about 1500 miles away. theyre trying to build up a specific team here & they need 2 more in addition to me, but its always in person work. if i were to leave then that sets them back.

that said id 100% stick with this team if they had a wfh or remote job for me but i doubt they do. i guess i could ask. ive hinted at it a few times & since im in online training, i am currently WFH from another state.

anyways my boss is a real good dude, i mean as a person & as a boss hes always accommodating, will hear you out, wont come down on you too hard when you F up (ask me how i know), etc. ive never had a boss like this and i doubt i ever will again.

my gut tells me i need to stick with this team but go remote w/them but i cannot find enough remote tasks to fill up a 40hr work week......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 05:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_Turtle View Post
the real kick in the nuts w/this one is that he was stoked to bring me on, so was i however since its swing shifts, i was told it changes once a month (one on days, one on nights) but its every two weeks.

but all that aside, i accepted the job & moved back to my hometown for it which was about 1500 miles away. theyre trying to build up a specific team here & they need 2 more in addition to me, but its always in person work. if i were to leave then that sets them back.

that said id 100% stick with this team if they had a wfh or remote job for me but i doubt they do. i guess i could ask. ive hinted at it a few times & since im in online training, i am currently WFH from another state.

anyways my boss is a real good dude, i mean as a person & as a boss hes always accommodating, will hear you out, wont come down on you too hard when you F up (ask me how i know), etc. ive never had a boss like this and i doubt i ever will again.

my gut tells me i need to stick with this team but go remote w/them but i cannot find enough remote tasks to fill up a 40hr work week......
Not a great idea to convince yourself you want a course of action without knowing all the facts. Tell your boss you're interested in WFH/remote options. They may or may not exist. Then test the waters and weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:36 AM

705 posts, read 756,764 times
What is the company's policy on full remote? Your manager can only decide so much.
Why didn't you ask during the interview process?

Old 04-13-2024, 09:15 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
You can't have everything in a job that you want. If you have an awesome boss, keep that because it is very important. Forget about trying to get remote work now. Just put your time in and see what happens.

Old 04-14-2024, 04:02 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
You knew this job was in-person when you applied for and accepted it, right? I get that you'd rather work from home-- wouldn't we all-- but unfortunately, it's not a possibility with all jobs. If you can't even find enough work to do remotely to fill your time, how do you expect to convince them that they should let you work remotely? And if you work remotely, who will do the in-person work you are currently doing? Do you expect them to hire an extra person to do that? I can't think of any good way to accept a job that has certain conditions, then shortly after coming on, try to get the employer to completely change the nature of the job for you.

I'm guessing you're either going to have to stick to this job but accept that it's in-person, or find another job that is remote-- and one that is advertised as remote from the get-go.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:45 PM

35,053 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Most places are going to have restrictions on when you are eligible for internal transfer opportunities.

Your immediate manager has nothing to do with that. If that is ultimately what you want, with that company, you might as well low-key serve the time until then, then think about the transfer.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:52 PM

828 posts, read 771,926 times
I

You’re welcome

Old 04-16-2024, 07:52 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_Turtle View Post
i accepted the job...theyre trying to build up a specific team here & they need 2 more in addition to me, but its always in person work.

anyways my boss is a real good dude, i mean as a person & as a boss hes always accommodating, will hear you out, wont come down on you too hard

Suck it up. You accepted the job, so work with your new nice boss and maybe in a while after you've shown your worth, you can ask. It's way too soon to be trying to go remote now when you know they still need at least 2 more in-person workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment