Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 01:25 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It will ruin my relationship. It’s always good to leave on good terms. But our company has been exhausting our limited resources and depending on me to help with that, with no backup plan. So basically, I’m in a sinking ship and when I leave, the ship will sink faster and will leave everyone left to drown.
Once you have the new job, focus on that relationship. You are not doing yourself any favors holding yourself hostage to an ineffectual management team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 03:02 PM

3,480 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Once you have the new job, focus on that relationship. You are not doing yourself any favors holding yourself hostage to an ineffectual management team.
True. It's just interesting how this opportunity fell on my lap right when I started this thread. I think it's all God's plan to help save me from this sinking ship.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:18 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
True. It's just interesting how this opportunity fell on my lap right when I started this thread. I think it's all God's plan to help save me from this sinking ship.
I had a very similar experience happen to me in the spring of 2020. I was with a horrible employer in 2019 into 2020 when the pandemic started. That company had fired the manager who hired me. A couple of weeks into working from home I was contacted by another employer who found an old, outdated version of my resume on Careerbuilder and really liked one of my earliest roles. It was as if God threw me a life preserver, metaphorically speaking.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I had a very similar experience happen to me in the spring of 2020. I was with a horrible employer in 2019 into 2020 when the pandemic started. That company had fired the manager who hired me. A couple of weeks into working from home I was contacted by another employer who found an old, outdated version of my resume on Careerbuilder and really liked one of my earliest roles. It was as if God threw me a life preserver, metaphorically speaking.
I really hope this new job works out. I'm tired of being at crappy jobs. My previous job, my boss was an abusive micromanager. Had to get out ASAP. Now, I'm at a job where my boss is super nice, but people are dropping like files forcing me to constantly fill the gaps on my own, which is just too much.

I love what I do, but gosh, the nonsense I deal with at these companies is crazy!

Old 04-16-2024, 07:59 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
It will ruin my relationship. It’s always good to leave on good terms. But our company has been exhausting our limited resources and depending on me to help with that, with no backup plan. So basically, I’m in a sinking ship and when I leave, the ship will sink faster and will leave everyone left to drown.
But it's a toxic relationship. Move onward and upward.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:05 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
A pretty funny coincidence but a ex-colleague of mine referred me to a job at his company early last week. They recently interviewed me and were happy with me, so I'm expecting a written offer soon. They are just waiting for one more approval from senior management to make it official. And the salary they told me over the phone is a huge bump up from what I'm currently making. So looks like I may be very close to landing this job.

If I do land this job, it's going to be very very bad when I resign because we are already short one person on our team, as one person just recently resigned. And I heard rumors that another person on our team is actively looking as well. And then I might leave too, and the company is very very dependent on me since I have been with the company the longest and have the most senior knowledge. So when the day comes when I have to resign, it's going to create some very bad friction between me and my boss since it will leave them in a very very deep hole.

No one is irreplaceable. If you died, they would find a way to get things done. You also need to do what is best for you. Better working conditions and more pay - it's a no brainer!

Old 04-16-2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
No one is irreplaceable. If you died, they would find a way to get things done. You also need to do what is best for you. Better working conditions and more pay - it's a no brainer!
No, actually you have no idea how they are exhausting our resources and I'm the one left trying to fill in gaps while people drop like flies and management takes so long to replace people. My boss doesn't seem to have a worry in the world because he's not the one dealing with extra workload and constant training & re-training; it's all on me. No backup plan but me. What if I quit, suddenly died or got hospitalized? Very simple... my boss doesn't think that will ever happen, so it doesn't worry him. Why that doesn't cross his mind is beyond me!

Old 04-17-2024, 08:04 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Quote:
No, actually you have no idea how they are exhausting our resources and I'm the one left trying to fill in gaps while people drop like flies and management takes so long to replace people. My boss doesn't seem to have a worry in the world because he's not the one dealing with extra workload and constant training & re-training; it's all on me. No backup plan but me. What if I quit, suddenly died or got hospitalized? Very simple... my boss doesn't think that will ever happen, so it doesn't worry him. Why that doesn't cross his mind is beyond me!
Unfortunately I've been in cases where management simply has no clue about how much work is involved or how much it takes to get a new employee up to speed enough to function independently. I watched our top level executive one time get up in front of an auditorium of 600 scientists and engineers and declare that "you people make the job too hard; I should be able to hire anyone off the street and it should only take you two weeks to train them."

Not hardly.

The thing is, you need to decide whether it's worth it to stay or go. If they saw your value and compensated you for it would be one thing, but you're saying they don't see the value you're providing, and the other job would compensate you much better. That really says a lot of how you company feels about the value of your work.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:38 AM

7,480 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
A pressure cooker company who works smart and hard will survive what I believe is going to be a massive economic mess in this country and perhaps broader. The cause of this crisis is debt levels. We want to live like we once were, the most productive innovative country in the world but are no longer. Covid accelerated this trend as mandated shutdowns crushed businesses and failed to stop Covid. Now we face deficits to bailout the mistaken shut downs in the name of Covid.

Tough times ahead folks but just working harder one do the trick you need to automate and work hard only on the right things ie prioritize and apply the 80/20 rule which is doing 20% of the effort needed for a perfect job can result in 80% of the positive outcome from that project.

That is good advice (always). Focus on high value work.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:43 AM

7,480 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
I really hope this new job works out. I'm tired of being at crappy jobs. My previous job, my boss was an abusive micromanager. Had to get out ASAP. Now, I'm at a job where my boss is super nice, but people are dropping like files forcing me to constantly fill the gaps on my own, which is just too much.

I love what I do, but gosh, the nonsense I deal with at these companies is crazy!

I think you said you only have 5 years invested in this. They gave you a lot of raises and you feel you were compensated fairly. So, if you are vested and you can roll over your 401k I think you should move on.

The problem is that management gets to be right. They get tunnel vision and live in their bubble world where everything they do is reinforcing the lies they tell themselves and everyone else. Unless there is some overriding authority their power and incompetence is continually reinforced.

You might Temp and try out a few different work environments before you make another long term commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment