Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 09:01 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
There's a small box you have to either select or deselect for this.
I learned to turn mine completely off for any sort of changes after I changed my title some time ago and people thought I got a new job.
I think a lot of people don't know about this.
I am doing a different job, so I added "new role" into my profile. I purposely did NOT check the box that asked if I wanted to share to my network. It did it anyway, and not only that, it said, "Congratulate MQ on her promotion to <title>. It wasn't a promotion, and it sounded as if I was saying something that wasn't true to make myself look big. I just wanted people to know what project I am on.

Then I went to an industry event where the first person I saw is someone pretty high up in that world who said, "Hey congrats on your PROMOTION..." and I went and looked and saw what they did.

I made a post saying it was not a promotion but a new role after discovering there's no real way to contact Linkedin and tell them not to do that.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:35 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Our HR did that to us. They decided to make things easier on themselves by consolidating job descriptions into generic documents. Supervisors were not involved in the rewrite. After the rewrite, my official job description covered everything from laying concrete to building guided missiles. And contained nothing of what I actually did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post

That's how it was at my last company. All job titles and descriptions were generic templates to fit within a department's career framework. They did very little to explain someone's specific role. Not only that, managers used this to their advantage by assigning "other duties" that fell well outside what the role was initially marketed to the candidate as. This was one of the reasons I wound up moving on. I was hired by one manager to do a specific data analyst role that I was actually interested in. Then after she left, I was inherited by another manager who didn't know enough about the work I was hired to do, so she tried molding me into a generalist/clerical role.
In my case (my industry's case) it was more of a function of the employees. Disruptions due to COVID and a couple labor disputes made people look for other sorts of work and coupled with a recognition that algorithms rule the world now meant that employees were changing their titles and job descriptions to an unprecedented degree. Some of it was legit and honest. Most of it was injecting jargon and skills inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 09:08 AM

1,850 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I don't condone outright lying about drastic gaps in experience, but sometimes you gotta fudge the numbers a little to get the opportunity.
Yeah, I've been in interviews where I say, "I know such-and-such, but I've never done this with it. I learn fast, though." Just to give them a heads up.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'm of a different mind on this.

LinkedIn IS my professional resume. It's the first thing most people are going to see regarding my career. My actual Word resume basically mirrors my LinkedIn, and I edit the actual resume down quite a bit.

I make the changes on LinkedIn first. I don't think I've edited my resume since I was job searching back in 2022.

Job titles, time of employment, and sometimes time in certain job grades are easily verifiable through a typical "eligible for rehire" and basic info check like that.

Job titles between organizations vary widely. I went from a level four analyst (senior) to a level two (associate) at my current employer. At my previous employer, I was the sole person responsible for multiple computer software systems where software malfunctions or poorly implemented processes could be a determining factor in matters of life or death - one system was used to alert on-call physicians in emergency situations.

At this job, I'm not responsible for anything like that. Yes, I'm over processes that are business critical, but nothing like that.

Our level two analysts at the previous job had to basically lead their own projects without a lot of guidance. I would help where I could, if asked and needed, but folks were pretty well on their own.

I had one job for about six months at a bank that ran an off the shelf product core banking software, but so heavily customized it that the vendor struggled to understand what they were doing if they got in deep water. There was no test environment, so changes were sent straight into production with no way to know what it would do. When an error was made, the senior analysts and management there circled the wagons and blamed the newest person.

No one would survive in that kind of environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment