Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 07:53 AM

61 posts, read 53,487 times

Advertisements

Sometimes 4 interviews for customer service, sales support, data entry.

For example I have a call with HR then a week later a Teams call with the manager of the department.

A few days later HR emails saying they want to move on in the interview process with a Teams call with a few people in the dept. Asking me the same questions the manager did “Can you describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?”

I get a call a few days later from HR thinking maybe this is a call that they are offering me the position. (If it’s a rejection it’s usually and email or you don’t hear back). But no, now it’s an interview with the CEO.

They always say they want to fill this roll asap but then it takes weeks or months. I’ve been through interview process like that where I didn’t get the job. What a waste. And why can’t they do the interviews with the manager and employees at the same time instead of 4 difference ones? There are some that are in person where you have to back each time to meet different people. If you are offered it then there is extensive background check, drug test etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It depends on the employer, not all do it the same. here, for example, I will do a phone interview with just the HR person and each candidate. Then I will select 4-8 to do the in-person interviews, though we are still doing Teams now since Covid. I always include two other members of the team along with the HR person in the interview. After the last interview I will make a decision with input from the others, and a conditional offer is made before we do the reference/background checks.

Rarely, if it's really close between the top two candidates, we can ask HR to do one more interview for them. I have only done that once in the last 20+ hires. I don't know what the position you are going for pays, but unless it's a lot, they are wasting a lot of time and money on such a lengthy process.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:29 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Yeah it seems like so many companies do this now because they just can't seem to get their own house in order--can't get people to make decisions, can't get people to prioritize and make time to do one interview with everyone all at once.

Or they aren't *quite* ready to hire yet, so they are just stringing you along until they are ready to pay you.

The most satisfying thing is to tell employers like this 'Oh sorry, I'm no longer interested in this position. I received another offer while you were dragging this out.'

Old 03-28-2024, 09:42 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Yeah it seems like so many companies do this now because they just can't seem to get their own house in order--can't get people to make decisions, can't get people to prioritize and make time to do one interview with everyone all at once.

Or they aren't *quite* ready to hire yet, so they are just stringing you along until they are ready to pay you.

The most satisfying thing is to tell employers like this 'Oh sorry, I'm no longer interested in this position. I received another offer while you were dragging this out.'
^ This! It's so frustrating!

My team is woefully understaffed and even that doesn't seem to light a fire under management's butts! It doesn't help that our team's manager is very process-oriented, to the point of process for process's sake. It spills over into his (lack of) decision-making ability.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:11 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:

It seems a lot of that comes out of the HR process checking all the boxes they have put into the process. Last few hires I did, took only about two weeks to review resumes, put together the interview team, conduct interviews, and make a selection. Then it took HR six months to process everything through the hoops. We lost several people because they got tired of waiting and took other jobs, meaning I had to start everything all over.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:47 AM

78 posts, read 77,210 times
I am running into the same (3/4 rounds of interviews). But mine is for a program management type of job. It's interesting to me because I've been working for nearly 40 years now if you include all my rinky-tink jobs I had when I was a teenager in high school too. Until recent times, I might send a resume, talk on the phone, and then interview at a place with anywhere from 1-3 people, once and that was it. Now it's still the resume and phone call, but then it's several rounds of meeting 3-5 people (different ones each time), questionnaires, video recorded responses to questions, etc. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a place out there that does colonoscopy screenings for protective employees.

It eats up a lot of time. I just shared in another thread where I spent around 10-11 hours interviewing (total) at a place that ended up not hiring anyone. I am lucky that I have a lot of time off at my current job, so I can make time for all these interviews. I don't know how other people manage to fit all these interviews in.

Last edited by AccidentalVulcan; 03-29-2024 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-31-2024, 04:29 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I suppose all this inefficiency/CYA multi-interview malarky does provide some benefit.

Applicants who can't handle it drop out. They eliminate themselves so interviewers don't have to. Only those who really, really want the job stick it out.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:56 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
I would likely say this whether or not I'd received another offer, if they ticked me off enough.

Employment goes both ways: the employer pays money in exchange for a service offered by the employee. Both parties need each other and I find the lack of respect on most employers' behalf to be disheartening as well as repelling.

I cringe at the thought of having to engage in job searching in the future.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:01 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I suppose all this inefficiency/CYA multi-interview malarky does provide some benefit.

Applicants who can't handle it drop out. They eliminate themselves so interviewers don't have to. Only those who really, really want the job stick it out.
And what if they'd been the absolute best candidate a company was going to find? A skilled and qualified applicant ready to work isn't going to waste their time being strung along for multiple, repetitive interviews. I'd say these dysfunctional organizations of chaos are blowing it by dicking around with applicants' time and resources. Their loss.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:50 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
And what if they'd been the absolute best candidate a company was going to find? A skilled and qualified applicant ready to work isn't going to waste their time being strung along for multiple, repetitive interviews. I'd say these dysfunctional organizations of chaos are blowing it by dicking around with applicants' time and resources. Their loss.
Was about the post the same thing. Beat me to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment