Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 01:17 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

As others have said, look up a company's history and comment to the interviewer how impressive it is to you. Also look up what they are currently doing, new products or services, new ways to fix old problems, etc. Tell how much that impresses you and how you'd like to be part of it. Share any troubleshooting you've done before as well. If what you're doing isn't working, you have nothing to lose by trying new tactics. Have you ever written articles for an industry journal? Ever been interviewed by a local newspaper? Copies of these might go a long way for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 02:06 PM

78 posts, read 77,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
As others have said, look up a company's history and comment to the interviewer how impressive it is to you. Also look up what they are currently doing, new products or services, new ways to fix old problems, etc. Tell how much that impresses you and how you'd like to be part of it. Share any troubleshooting you've done before as well. If what you're doing isn't working, you have nothing to lose by trying new tactics. Have you ever written articles for an industry journal? Ever been interviewed by a local newspaper? Copies of these might go a long way for you.
Oh, I've been doing that. That's job interviewing 101. I know everything from the mission statement, to the what's been going on in their latest press releases, etc. If it's on their website, I've read it several times before I even apply, let alone interview.

I don't have journal articles, at least, not for a while. I was actually writing some while I was seeking my own certifications because it cemented things in my head when studying. I've never worked anyplace that allowed me to be interviewed, usually the PR people handle that (and we would have strict rules not to talk to the media unless we got specific media training).

And the last place I interviewed at, I actually did start brainstorming with them on a project they were working on and I thought they liked my ideas. But I didn't get that job. Even though I didn't get it, I delivered on something I promised in the interview that I knew would help them. Maybe I am a sucker, but it was something I was excited to help with and I made a promise.

But I do need to find something different to do when interviewing. That's the point of my post. I was thinking of being more stand out by not being so vanilla. But it was already pointed out that, that might not be the best approach. I tend to be intellectual, so I tried to make an extra effort to smile more and make small talk before the interview. I sometimes get focused on the task and forget those niceties. One nice thing about Zoom interviews, I can watch myself too to make sure I am not coming across like my screen name. haha

I have a pretty good record of getting my foot in the door. So that's a positive. I am interviewed for 75% of the jobs I apply to. I just haven't been the #1 pick yet.

And I just got another interview today.

I have another thread about the unemployment rate and I mentioned my job hunting in it as well as the hunting of some friends I have. I don't want to get off topic here with that, but in that thread, someone suggested ageism may be at play too. My resume only goes back 20 years, but I am in my 50s and have been working for 30 if you just count post-college (not when I worked in college and high school).

I don't put more than 20 years back in my resume nor do I put anything that I think dates me too much. But they see my face in the interviews. I don't think I look my age (no gray hair, no wrinkles except some slight crows feet, etc) but everyone thinks they look younger than they are and people will tell you that you look young be nice, so I may be wrong assuming I don't look like a mid-50s woman.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:44 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Have your discussed your salary? Do you know if your salary is in the range for the position?

Old 03-14-2024, 03:40 PM

78 posts, read 77,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Have your discussed your salary? Do you know if your salary is in the range for the position?

I haven't yet, so far it's been all online and writing. This will be the first in-person interview. But they posted the salary range in their listing. It's in my range. I assume we will discuss final salary if they make me an offer.

Early on, when I first started looking, I wasted a lot of time on a couple of companies that ended up were offering a salary that's way too low. Nearly half of what I make now. Like I said, I fully study their websites and learn everything I can and that takes up a lot of time to study. I never counted, but it's easily a few hours each week while I am in the application and interview process. So now I don't even bother applying to jobs if they don't list the salary because it's a waste of my time (and theirs).

Last edited by AccidentalVulcan; 03-14-2024 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-14-2024, 08:09 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
Oh, I've been doing that. That's job interviewing 101. I know everything from the mission statement, to the what's been going on in their latest press releases, etc. If it's on their website, I've read it several times before I even apply, let alone interview.

I don't have journal articles, at least, not for a while. I was actually writing some while I was seeking my own certifications because it cemented things in my head when studying. I've never worked anyplace that allowed me to be interviewed, usually the PR people handle that (and we would have strict rules not to talk to the media unless we got specific media training).
That's a point that I think affects a lot of people. You're basically not allowed to write or publish anything about your work, yet in many technical fields, you get known for your "public" work that get you mentioned in trade publications and talked about among your peers. The last thing I published was over 15 years ago with all the restrictions they clamped down on us.

Quote:
I have another thread about the unemployment rate and I mentioned my job hunting in it as well as the hunting of some friends I have. I don't want to get off topic here with that, but in that thread, someone suggested ageism may be at play too. My resume only goes back 20 years, but I am in my 50s and have been working for 30 if you just count post-college (not when I worked in college and high school).

I don't put more than 20 years back in my resume nor do I put anything that I think dates me too much. But they see my face in the interviews. I don't think I look my age (no gray hair, no wrinkles except some slight crows feet, etc) but everyone thinks they look younger than they are and people will tell you that you look young be nice, so I may be wrong assuming I don't look like a mid-50s woman.
I wonder if your experience intimidates the interviewer? It wasn't something that I was ever concerned about when I was younger, but when I reached my 50s, it was something I began to feel. Nothing specific I could say Ah HA! Just a general feeling that the interviewer felt uncomfortable when I discussed my major projects and positions held.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:31 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's a point that I think affects a lot of people. You're basically not allowed to write or publish anything about your work, yet in many technical fields, you get known for your "public" work that get you mentioned in trade publications and talked about among your peers. The last thing I published was over 15 years ago with all the restrictions they clamped down on us.

I wonder if your experience intimidates the interviewer? It wasn't something that I was ever concerned about when I was younger, but when I reached my 50s, it was something I began to feel. Nothing specific I could say Ah HA! Just a general feeling that the interviewer felt uncomfortable when I discussed my major projects and positions held.
I would say that if you ever get a feeling an interviewer is 'intimidated' then that is a red flag and I would avoid working there. Outside of individual exceptions, that's only present in a toxic org. And if someone is in your interview loop, they have enough sway in your immediate org to represent culture.

I'm a Principal and Director in the tech world. My view is that every person we bring in should raise the bar by being at least in the top half of our current talent. If I can bring in someone with more experience and talent than I or my current team, that is a huge win because it improves the org and will rub off on others.

Last edited by Sunbather; 03-22-2024 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-22-2024, 10:09 AM

612 posts, read 1,512,610 times
Quote:
Background:

I've been job hunting for about a year now. It's been hard for me because I have golden handcuffs and need to find a place that's at least on par with where I work now. I am not at a place where I need to find new work, so I am trying to not take a pay cut. Because of that, I've only applied to a handful of jobs in that past year (jobs that 1. pay well and 2. I really would enjoy working at).

While I am in not real rush since I have a job now; I know my workplace is dying. I was accidentally shown the recent numbers last month. Since I started working there (going on 14 years now), revenues are down 50%. It's not going to last and I may be low hanging fruit because I am senior on staff and am compensated as such. Past cuts have been other senior staff who were well compensated. Unfortunately, they replaced them with fresh out of college greenhorns. These new people are well meaning, but my goodness do they need a lot of hand holding and extra help. And there are so many of them now, it's hard to carry them all.

Subject in title begins:

As staff where I work are let go and quit, I am dragged into the hiring process for new people because the boss wants my perspective as a long-term employee. I've noticed most of these applicants are following the same advice I've been following regrading the "right" and "wrong" thing to say to hiring managers. And because of that, they all blur together and seem as dull dishwater. But the real stand outs are the ones who get hired and they don't always follow the right and wrong things to say.

What do I mean? A good example is the interviewer asking me why I am leaving where I work. Instead of the stale old, "I am looking to grow, a new challenge, etc, etc." I could say, "I don't think my current job will be around in a year or so. It's dying because the industry we serve is being replaced by AI. Things are okay now, but it's not financially sustainable and I believe I will be looking for work in the next year or two because of this. So while I have the luxury of time, I am looking for a new position at a place where I would really love to work instead of a place I am forced to work. I am being picky, which is why I focused on your company's ad. I know can be passionate about like (your company) because X, Y, and Z."

I could throw in wanting to grow and a new challenge as well, but maybe frame it in a way that communicates how I am excited about the opportunely to learn new things and have new challenge.

From everything I've read and watched about job hunting, the right answer includes never speaking ill of where you work now and the answer to give seems to be that dull as dishwater looking to grow stuff. Maybe that works for younger people, but I think I am unusual in that I've been at the same place for well over a decade. It seems that most people hop around a lot anymore/every 3-5 years or so based on the resumes I've asked to review. And I think my loyalty to where I work now is making me come into question since every employer I've interviewed with has brought it up in a way that leads me to think they don't believe I will really leave.

What do you think? I have another upcoming interview and I think I am going to try it out. Will it work or am I just shooting myself in the foot?
This has always helped me to move further in interview process.. I just couldn't clear other interviews is a different issue. What I say is I would like to work on different challenges in different domain or something like different domain will give me opportunities to work on different challenges.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:15 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Having done an interview myself just this morning, I think a lot of it can be 'reading the room' and judging accurately how 'off-track' you can go with your answers. And that can be *hard*--will this person find your answer funny (and accurate) or annoying?

If I can't get a sense for that, then I've noticed my answers can be 'dull' and 'rote', and don't really go anywhere. If I *do* get a sense for it, then my answers are much more lively and stand out more. In the interview I had today, I was asked, "What would you do if a project manager has a customer that won't respond to them and they ask you for help?" My response was, "Oh, this has been an issue I've dealt with quite a bit. I long ago gave my project managers permission to make me the big bad boogieman and tell the customers that if they don't respond, the engineer (me) will cancel their order and they'll have to start all over again, and possibly even pay cancellation fees depending on how much work was already done. I know we shouldn't be 'mean' (I even used air quotes there) to the customers, but sometimes they need to be made to understand that lack of response will have consequences that they may not like. And 99% of the time, once they get threatened with cancellation, they answer." Well, the hiring manager *loved* that response (she said so outright), because I didn't give her the, "Well, I would do what I could to help the project manager out on this."--I gave her an exact example of what I would do, and how it's worked in the past, and was honest that maybe it's not 'nice', but it needs to be done.

And most of the interview went that way, where I gave honest, but slightly offbeat answers to some of the questions. One of them was, "How long has it been since you worked in the field?" My answer was, "Long enough ago that copper was king, now get me my walker." (She laughed at that one.)

Now, whether I get the job or not remains to be seen. However, the hiring manager did end the interview with, "I think you and I are of the same mindset and work ethic." So I'm going to presume that's a good sign.

But again, it can be *hard* to know what'll work with an interviewer. I think, personally, for me, not *needing* a job (just wanting something different) helps with being calmer and confident in letting my 'real self' out, and interviewers seem to respond to that.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:03 PM

1,850 posts, read 867,463 times
I had an interview where there were 4 people on the Zoom call, and they asked me to describe in detail what I considered my best project and also what was my worst.

I laughed and said, "What if they are the same project?"

That got a laugh from all of them and nods all around.

You just have to have some kind of banter with them. They are people just like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment