Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 12:43 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati92 View Post
I've been asked to rate my 4 previous managers as part of an interview questionnaire...Never been asked this before? Should I provide the names? It feels like a trick question....
Not a trick question. You can answer, for example,

Manager #1: 6'4"
Manager #2: 6'0"
Manager #3: 5'7"
Manager #4: 5'5"

There. Managers rated from tallest to shortest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 02:44 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
I've been asked to rate my 4 previous managers as part of an interview questionnaire...Never been asked this before? Should I provide the names? It feels like a trick question....
Rate them how? On a scale of 1-10? Or is the question posed as broadly as you have just stated?

I would be careful to rate them reasonably highly, perhaps with some pro's and con's.

For example I had a boss who was "not very approachable" but that simply meant you had to have your ducks in a row and have carefully thought out any questions ahead of time.

Another boss was "more approachable" and when he handed out an assignment he sometimes hadn't thought it all the way through, but that often generated banter that was enjoyable, and I usually came away thinking I had contributed to defining the scope of the project.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:48 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Oh pooh. Part of an interview is to assess whether you can complete tasks. If they ask you "rate your four previous managers" you've just been given an assigned task. Your job is to complete the assigned task without either trashing the four previous managers or making it look like they fart only rose perfume. Kicking up a fuss at this assigned task tells them (well, at any rate it'd tell me), "This person is going to make a federal case out of everything they don't agree with, and be a royal pain in the rear to work with."
Well, that would tell me that you're not the kind of person I'd want to work for.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:13 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Well, that would tell me that you're not the kind of person I'd want to work for.
Unfortunately, in the workplace, managers often have to tell employees to do things the employees don't want to do. Pitching a fit when told to do something is not the way to get ahead.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:28 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Unfortunately, in the workplace, managers often have to tell employees to do things the employees don't want to do. Pitching a fit when told to do something is not the way to get ahead.
So, giving an applicant a ridiculous question to answer and when they push back, that proves they're some kind of drama queen that you wouldn't want in your org.

Actually, with this approach, you're going to filter out the good, ethical candidates and bring in the exact kind of back-stabbers that ruin an org.

Good luck with that!

Old 03-11-2024, 04:53 PM

11,769 posts, read 5,783,856 times
They are all ridiculous questions and have been for the last 20 yrs. I said to HR one day - what happened to interviewing a candidate and then checking their references to decide if they are a good fit. Too much BS these days - give us an example of this or that - guess what - if a problem arises I take care of it and don't think to remember the exact steps I took just in case they ask it at a future job interview. My friends used situations I handled and passed them off as their own at interviews.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:16 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
It's not a trick question. They don't want the names of your previous managers, but rather want to know how you perceive their style of managing. Were they micro or macro managers? Were you able to adapt to their style of managing? Did you think their style was conducive to your performance? Were they open to your input and suggestions? Additionally, consider if the managers had to tell you what to do or if you are a self-starter. While we may have had managers who we felt were lacking, it's important to ask yourself if they acted in the corporation's interest.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
I don't see how it matters as you'll be reporting to a new manager who will have their own personality, style, and quirks.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:30 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I don't see how it matters as you'll be reporting to a new manager who will have their own personality, style, and quirks.
It matters for the interview because it was specifically mentioned.

Old 03-11-2024, 07:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
It matters for the interview because it was specifically mentioned.
I'm not saying don't answer the question.

However, it'll likely have zero bearing on future performance or culture fit unless the new manager is anything like the previous four. If they're looking to suss out which qualities from a manager the candidate responds best to, then why not address that directly with the manager they'll be reporting to?

What they're most likely looking for is a canned, milquetoast response that is neither too negative or too positive of their previous managers and that doesn't raise any red flags. In which case, you may as well provide a vanilla answer to each that is akin to "they were great to work with, however, I found a new opportunity to broaden my skillset". Being honest or transparent is of no value unless you truly admired your previous manager (and most don't).

Last edited by digitalUID; 03-11-2024 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment