Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 02:43 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/03/07/...employees.html
Quote:
Whether or not you get hired by billionaire Mark Cuban comes down to two qualities: culture and competency.

They're the "two things that matter the most," Cuban said during a MasterClass course released last month. "Are they competent enough to do the job? And do they fit in the culture of the organization? If they fail on either one, you're going to be in trouble."
Having spent over 30 years in management, I agree 100%

I just wish I was a billionaire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 04:30 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
What I found interesting in that short article was the possible disconnect of how workers view company culture and how he views it. While the article said workers consider culture important, which culture are they talking about? And which is he talking about? I agree that a poor culture makes a poor place to work but have seen many times where the culture management thinks is there is not the culture the employees experience.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What I found interesting in that short article was the possible disconnect of how workers view company culture and how he views it. While the article said workers consider culture important, which culture are they talking about? And which is he talking about? I agree that a poor culture makes a poor place to work but have seen many times where the culture management thinks is there is not the culture the employees experience.
Good point. I think culture can mean different things to different people and different roles. It might mean "how do others feel about what our department does in context of the larger organization" to someone like a VP/director. While to an individual contributor, it might mean "how cohesive is the team and how do they treat one another" or "how does management treat work-life balance".

Old 03-11-2024, 02:35 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/03/07/...employees.htmlHaving spent over 30 years in management, I agree 100%

I just wish I was a billionaire
Have you sat through the class?

Old 03-11-2024, 02:59 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I enjoy CNBC for their stock market news but I LOATHE these articles where some billionaire's word is taken as the Word of God. Mark Cuban seems to be one of the most oft-quoted billionaires too. "Mark Cuban sleeps only 4 hours a day!" "Mark Cuban says eating soy increased his IQ by 30 points!" "Mark Cuban drives a used 2017 Ford Taurus!"

I get it. It's headline seeking and of course most people want to be billionaires but to think that by mimicking some rich person's behavior or thinking every word that comes out of his mouth is gospel is a bit much.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:40 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I enjoy CNBC for their stock market news but I LOATHE these articles where some billionaire's word is taken as the Word of God. Mark Cuban seems to be one of the most oft-quoted billionaires too. "Mark Cuban sleeps only 4 hours a day!" "Mark Cuban says eating soy increased his IQ by 30 points!" "Mark Cuban drives a used 2017 Ford Taurus!"

I get it. It's headline seeking and of course most people want to be billionaires but to think that by mimicking some rich person's behavior or thinking every word that comes out of his mouth is gospel is a bit much.
Ironically, there are a lot of well off people out there that have less stringent and rigorous daily routines than the ones outlined in some of those articles. Mark Manson, a successful self-help author, has boasted as much, saying that his daily routine usually entails sleeping in until late morning and not getting started with his day until later than that.

Old 03-11-2024, 07:11 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Thats nice coming from a billionaire.... .. Now back to the real world where corporate america is filled with nitwits , often times, in management positions where they do a host of damage. LOL

Old 03-11-2024, 10:43 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
To some degree, you can teach technical competence.

Last year, I took a role that required "SQL proficiency." I had a basic to intermediate understanding of MSSQL at the time. I do not like programming, at all - I never have. I was way, way under skilled for what was needed - in saying that, the product that needed all the report development and such was a state tax software program where no one would know the database at all unless they worked at the vendor or another county using this software.

I was given multiple other projects that were more in my wheelhouse professionally, and sort of built a reputation on those software implementations, which wasn't I was hired for. The rationale was "we have a top-level expert in messaging/alerting/communications applications and platforms, so let's him fix/optimize our previous implementations while he learns the reporting/SQL stuff."

My manager has been developing reports on this tax system since it came out. His MS was data-focused, and that occurred after he took this system over. He knows it better than most of the vendor support reps. I always run it by him, but I'm 90% independent on the SQL part now.

You need to find the right people to fit into the culture, then plug your needs into their competencies, if that can at all be done. If you need a high level expert in X, you're likely better off contracting that person out in many cases.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:55 AM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
All I know about Mark Cuban is from watching him on Shark Tank. I have noticed that he mostly only invests in companies where the owner is more educated than he is. Like, no matter what the business, if you are a PhD or are a doctor or lawyer or former computer executive, he elevates himself this way. Kind of like guys who marry a super model.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:51 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I hire people for a living, and I agree. Personality and the ability to learn new things, solve problems, etc. are not things that you can just train on or teach.

Someone could know a tool or technology backwards and forwards, but if they struggle to communicate or work with colleagues, or they struggle to multi-task or learn different tools or technologies, then they typically are not going to work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment