Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 05:40 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news that big tech firms such as Google and Amazon are firing IT workers because AI makes them unnecessary.

Anyone here work in IT? Are you concerned about future prospects for job in this field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 10:43 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I saw on the news that big tech firms such as Google and Amazon are firing IT workers because AI makes them unnecessary.

Anyone here work in IT? Are you concerned about future prospects for job in this field?
You are going to need to give us a citation to this, so we can see exactly what jobs are being eliminated, or is this just talk? I don't consider customer service help desk chat bots replacing workers to be IT work.

I've been in the industry for a long time and manage a group. There isn't a single IT or software job that can be successfully replaced by a software application. Yes, you can use ChatGPT to write a few lines of software code, but you could just as easily prior to this do a search online to find examples of the problem that needs to be solved. Before that, those examples were in the better IT books. Those are all tools and resources, but you still need an experienced software developer to be driving the process. Will this happen someday, perhaps, but I don't see this happening now.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:39 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You are going to need to give us a citation to this, so we can see exactly what jobs are being eliminated, or is this just talk? I don't consider customer service help desk chat bots replacing workers to be IT work.

I've been in the industry for a long time and manage a group. There isn't a single IT or software job that can be successfully replaced by a software application. Yes, you can use ChatGPT to write a few lines of software code, but you could just as easily prior to this do a search online to find examples of the problem that needs to be solved. Before that, those examples were in the better IT books. Those are all tools and resources, but you still need an experienced software developer to be driving the process. Will this happen someday, perhaps, but I don't see this happening now.

This is the latest news I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpcegHqGLSY

Old 01-14-2024, 09:05 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
This is the latest news I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpcegHqGLSY
Thanks for providing a link to the story. It doesn't come across that AI is eliminating software jobs. They are trying to make a story around the popular buzzword of "AI". The industry has a demand for more developers in AI and less in other things. The types of jobs being cut are not being performed by AI as their replacement. If Zuckerberg or Jeff Bezos/Amazon said something like, "We have developed an AI model called XYZ, which has made the labor of 100 software engineers working on network security and database redundant..." then it would be a story about replacing software developers with AI. Even in the story being reported in that video, the news anchor says "...may...". There is no clear cause and effect.

To answer your big question, I have no concerns about AI replacing IT jobs at all.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:55 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
LLMs are making every software engineer much more efficient, so there is probably a need for fewer of them to accomplish the same work. Software like Github copilot being integrated directly into your IDE is a game changer for debugging and writing efficient code.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:16 AM

35,053 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It’s definitely going to put a dent in help desk, support, and lower level system admin type jobs. ChatGPT has certainly enhanced what I can do.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:54 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
AI isn't taking over IT jobs. It is causing disruption in what tech is being invested in. You can think of it as Netflix killing Blockbuster or Napster killing Tower Records. A lot of jobs will disappear but new jobs will take their place. Everything will get more complicated and people on the lower end of the IQ spectrum will be even more screwed.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:24 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
AI can take over *some* IT jobs but it applies to any job that has repetition and doesn't require intelligent controls.

Why can't they post that majority of management jobs are replaceable with AI but nobody is pushing that.

A lot of management jobs are nothing but approvers and delegation and AI can easily monitor workers productivity, approve work orders, delegate workload, and contact other parties.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:55 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
AI will probably eliminate many jobs in the future, IT jobs included.

IT layoffs have lead downsizing for the past year. In my opinion, it is due to post-Covid inflationary economic forces, not AI. Also, a lot of tech items were over-purchased during the Covid lockdowns, so sales are temporarily lower. They pulled demand forward during Covid, creating a glut today.

Startup capitol has dried up a great deal for tech, and that is also part of the problem. I think many institutional investors are keeping dry powder rather than funding tech startups.

I have not heard that mass implementation of AI at tech firms has suddenly caused the elimination of IT jobs at current. Not yet anyhow. I don't doubt it is coming, but I have not heard that yet.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:32 AM

35,053 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
AI will probably eliminate many jobs in the future, IT jobs included.

IT layoffs have lead downsizing for the past year. In my opinion, it is due to post-Covid inflationary economic forces, not AI. Also, a lot of tech items were over-purchased during the Covid lockdowns, so sales are temporarily lower. They pulled demand forward during Covid, creating a glut today.

Startup capitol has dried up a great deal for tech, and that is also part of the problem. I think many institutional investors are keeping dry powder rather than funding tech startups.

I have not heard that mass implementation of AI at tech firms has suddenly caused the elimination of IT jobs at current. Not yet anyhow. I don't doubt it is coming, but I have not heard that yet.
I think the danger is that AI basically becomes being able to tend to itself - essentially autonomous.

Something like a tractor means you needed fewer works to "plow the field," but there were other jobs running the tractor, building them, mechanics to keep them running, etc. Human input and labor was still needed.

That is probably not going to be the case with advanced AI down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment