Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2023, 05:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times

Advertisements

A lot of things in this world are about more than salary/benefits/housing equity/retirement accounts and ROI.

My first degree was some of the best years of my life, on one of the most beautiful campuses in this country.

And I would argue that a GOOD job is one where you are contributing to society and not just making the most money you can for the least hours and gas money.

For instance, lets say some woman lied about having a Masters Elementary Ed because she 'actually wanted to be a teacher' and went on to become one of the most respected elementary teachers in the school.

Stuff like that has actually happened before. If anybody wants to give an example, feel free.

But it's a different way to think.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 06:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
A lot of things in this world are about more than salary/benefits/housing equity/retirement accounts and ROI.

My first degree was some of the best years of my life, on one of the most beautiful campuses in this country.

And I would argue that a GOOD job is one where you are contributing to society and not just making the most money you can for the least hours and gas money.

For instance, lets say some woman lied about having a Masters Ed and went on to become one of the most respected elementary teachers in the school.

Stuff like that has actually happened before. If anybody wants to give an example, feel free.

But it's a different way to think. I don't want to blow too many minds here though...
To your point, that might suggest that the hiring system is broken at a lot of places and there are unnecessary barriers to entry for otherwise capable people. I'm not diametrically opposed to that line of thinking at all.

However, in this instance there were requirements (fair or not) and they were circumvented by way of blatant and intentional dishonesty. The fact of the matter is that my buddy will most likely do a decent enough job and this will be a distant memory eventually. However, it doesn't change the other fact that he got there by purposefully misrepresenting his credentials. What if he had applied and simply not listed a college degree? If the company cared more about his experience than the piece of paper from over a decade ago, he very well could have still earned the opportunity with his integrity in tact.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:58 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
If a place really cares about the degree and has any sense, they will ask for you to have the college send them your transcript directly to them.

My employer believed a few liars and took them at their word. After they repeatedly demonstrated that they couldn't perform the tasks that someone with their degree should be able to perform, they dug deeper and found out that they failed to do their due diligence and the employees in question were terminated.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:14 PM

22,151 posts, read 19,203,648 times
i remember when i was in a Kinko's print shop years ago trying to scan my own university diploma, to submit with a job application, and Kinko's would not let me do it. i showed them all my ID that this was my own diploma and they still would not let me do it. it was bizarre and to me crazy.

i ended up going to a different Kinko's and scanned it myself hiding it all the while amongst some benign looking pages and feeling like some sort of criminal.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If a place really cares about the degree and has any sense, they will ask for you to have the college send them your transcript directly to them.

My employer believed a few liars and took them at their word. After they repeatedly demonstrated that they couldn't perform the tasks that someone with their degree should be able to perform, they dug deeper and found out that they failed to do their due diligence and the employees in question were terminated.
also for many jobs i've applied to, it is routine to be asked to submit the sealed university transcripts, which are sent directly by the University. that is more secure. Some of the jobs i've applied have required security clearance and this is the norm.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
A lot of things in this world are about more than salary/benefits/housing equity/retirement accounts and ROI. My first degree was some of the best years of my life, on one of the most beautiful campuses in this country. And I would argue that a GOOD job is one where you are contributing to society and not just making the most money you can for the least hours and gas money.

For instance, lets say some woman lied about having a Masters Elementary Ed because she 'actually wanted to be a teacher' and went on to become one of the most respected elementary teachers in the school. Stuff like that has actually happened before. If anybody wants to give an example, feel free.

But it's a different way to think.
if someone lies about their degree, then no, by definition they are not and can not ever be "the most respected teacher in the school."

sheesh

Old 11-08-2023, 07:22 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Those who find ways to "justify" his act because he's not really hurting anyone, what about those who applied for the job, did everything the right way, and didn't get it because of a liar? His lies hurt someone even if not directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I know because he told me.
You believe him? You already know he's a liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
As a former HR manager, albeit in the highly restrictive Defense industry, I used to be the person who called on every suitable applicant...back before the internet. Once they passed my review, then the names were passed to contractors who did further background checks. IF the applicant was hired, all of this material was redone...before we submitted for a very expensive security clearance. I have come across way more faked degree/job history and even lies about age than I can remember. Everything is done online and very quickly now, and with photoshop etc probably easier to do, hoping that someone drops the ball.

I eventually was working at a very large defense contractor and was contacted by someone at DISCO who did clearances and they found an anomaly while doing a TS background on a long time employee. He had lied about a job quite a few years back. He was fired for this, even after a long history of great work. His security clearance, which is everything in that industry, was revoked. So yes some things can bite you in the ass....I heard he took up house painting.
Having his clearance revoked will not only bit him in the current job, but also any future government contractor job. He pretty much killed his career with that.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

sheesh

Old 11-08-2023, 07:29 PM

i remember fairly recently applying for a job at a very prestigious agency and was excited when they called me for an interview. i was very impressed with the interview and it has stayed with me ever since including the level of security they went through. I had researched the company in advance to prepare for the interview because i wanted to impress them. I had practiced answering out loud and on paper the long list of interview questions i've kept for decades, and keep adding to, whenever i am asked an interview question i haven't heard before i add it to the list and practice it for next time. This helps me feel prepared for the interview and less nervous.

Anyway the interview was over the phone and it included some writing exercises, since the job included writing not just correspondence and memos but also reports and summary findings and dispute resolution. Anyway the writing exercises were timed, very short time frame, they literally said, here is the question, you have five minutes we have to receive your answer by email in that time frame, GO, if it is one second late you get a zero.

That was wild. Apparently they like my answers and they said later that was the reason they ended up offering me the job. They said many people can "talk a good line" during an interview, but they said they could weed out a whole lot of candidates with timed writing under on the spot deadline pressure. I loved it. It was fun. I worked on a newspaper daily for years and was always writing against deadline so i was comfortable with that. It also helped with having researched the company before hand because i was able to include details about the company, they said they liked that too.

For companies where it matters, yes they take the extra time and effort to try and ensure their candidates are above board. It felt like a feather in my cap to get a job offer there. I ended up not taking it, i went with a different agency, and have since run into several people who also have applied at that agency but did not get job offers. I have a lot of respect for companies that value integrity.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Those who find ways to "justify" his act because he's not really hurting anyone, what about those who applied for the job, did everything the right way, and didn't get it because of a liar? His lies hurt someone even if not directly.
Agreed. Although, at least according to many redditors, that just means he's a superior interviewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You believe him? You already know he's a liar.
Why would I believe his story about the fabricated degree and the background check?

Well, initially he showed me a copy of his resume that he submitted for the new job he got. I noticed that he had a degree listed at the bottom under 'Education'. Knowing that he never went to college, I asked him if it triggered anything on his background check. He confirmed that it did in fact provoke questions, which led me to my next question of, "Well, how did you assuage their concerns?" knowing damn well he didn't have a degree or transcript to send them. He then proceeded to show me the photoshopped degree with his name superimposed on it that he sent to the company as proof. This was something he was very proud of. He wasn't admitting guilt, he was bragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment