Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 06:48 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I had a 4x10 schedule, though I had a fifty mile commute through rural roads each way.

On the days that I worked, it was basically nothing but work, bed, and maybe the gym or a walk. With that said, the off days were glorious. Tons of time to travel without needing to take as much vacation. Doctor's appointments and things like that could be done through the week. When I was off, I felt truly off, without the need to constantly check my emails and such.

I would gladly do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 09:23 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Apparently, another study was done in the UK for the 4-day workweek that begin in June 2023. 3,000 workers at about 60 companies in the UK tried working one less day a week for six months. They received their same salaries in exchange for a promise to deliver 100% of their usual work. Guess what? None of the companies went broke. Today, 89% of those firms are still going strong with the altered schedule, and by the end of 2023, more than half had made the four-day workweek permanent, according to workplace research group Autonomy. Not only was work completed in less time, but employees reported improved mental and physical health.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:49 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
The Chinese and the Indians are I'm sure "experimenting" with four day workweeks.

I sometimes wonder if you pikers who yearn for this nonsense ever consider that 98% of what you use/consume in today's world was conceived and made by people who did whatever it took to make those products/services? You literally idolize these people while at the same time advocate for different rules for yourself that will prevent you to getting within 1% of those results.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:31 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Apparently, another study was done in the UK for the 4-day workweek that begin in June 2023. 3,000 workers at about 60 companies in the UK tried working one less day a week for six months. They received their same salaries in exchange for a promise to deliver 100% of their usual work. Guess what? None of the companies went broke.
Irrelevant, of course. I'll leave the details of the economic analysis to you as a homework assignment.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:43 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I have mixed emotions about a 4 day week. While the extra day off would be absolutely great and I'm confident I'd come back on Monday (or whenever) feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the (4 day) week, I know that personally my job can be so taxing mentally that being "on" for another 2+ hours those 4 days would take a toll on me too.

It's really moot for me anyway as we work when the financial markets are open so unless the NYSE, NASDAQ, etc. decided to close shop one day more per week I'm left with working 5 days.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:01 AM

24 posts, read 5,873 times
Wouldn’t a better managerial position just be to cut the size of their workforce?

If a 40 hour work week can truly be accomplished in only 4 x 8 hour days then they where underworked before hand.

From working in health care my whole adult life I could never manage that because people get sick 24/7 so round the clock coverage is essential and demand on your time during a shift never stops.

Old 02-24-2024, 09:40 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I have mixed emotions about a 4 day week. While the extra day off would be absolutely great and I'm confident I'd come back on Monday (or whenever) feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the (4 day) week, I know that personally my job can be so taxing mentally that being "on" for another 2+ hours those 4 days would take a toll on me too.

It's really moot for me anyway as we work when the financial markets are open so unless the NYSE, NASDAQ, etc. decided to close shop one day more per week I'm left with working 5 days.
Me too. Even if it's truly only 32 hours a week (4 8-hour days, vs. 4 10-hour days to still make 40 hours/week), I'm guessing that trying to pack that extra day's work into the rest of the week, as well as the fact that that might not work and you might end up working overtime on the other four days, might make the "less stress" bit moot-- kind of like how when you get back from vacation, you're so stressed out dealing with everything that piled up while you were gone that it almost would've been less stressful to just not go in the first place. (Same reason I don't think I'd like to work my 40 hours in four 10s rather than five 8s... you just trade one hassle for another. I'd have an extra day, but I'd have to spend it doing all the things I now couldn't do in the evenings on the other four days, so why bother.)

I love the idea, but I have a feeling that in many workplaces, it won't be as great as it seems.

Old 02-25-2024, 02:09 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I just ended a seasonal job working a 4/10 schedule. I never worked a 4/10 in my life, but I've always wanted it. I loved it because that 1 more extra day off makes difference! You actually feel like you've had a nice little rest because just 2 days off a week is too short.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:12 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
if the new standard is a 32 hour hour work week why not just do two 10 hour days and one 12 hour day and make it a 3 day week?

Old 02-29-2024, 06:03 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I agree with the comments above that if the all the work is being accomplished in the 4/8 schedule, all the workers were being overpaid before.

They clearly were not fully working during their 5/8 schedule.

If all those companies who paid them for the 5/8 schedule didn't notice the workers not fully working, I doubt they are properly measuring whether the work is being done now.

The workers are probably still working at the same pace except now the work isn't being done since they are working fewer hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment