Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM

265 posts, read 349,316 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am going through a Pre-Employment Screening for a new job, but they use Sterling Background check (Or Sterling talent) company. Even though I feel I am fine and I know I'll pass, but I still worry which is a natural habit, I guess.
Anyways, when I googled searched this background check company, I was SCARED, 68/71 reviewers gave the company a 1 start out 5, saying they report false information, take weeks to complete screening, etc.

Has anyone gone through this company before for background checks? I already gave my notice to my current employer after signing the new offer, I am really nervous.

Thanks,
Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-07-2019 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Name deleted at OP's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,568,722 times
the bad reviews are people who didn't get the job and felt it was someone else's fault

Old 06-07-2019, 01:25 PM

9,457 posts, read 8,437,051 times
Sounds like someone who had an ax to grind created new accounts and repeatedly gave them poor reviews. I've never heard of any business with that bad of a reputation.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:37 PM

If you look at the trustpilot, you'll see what I am saying. I am just super nervous!

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/sterlingcheck.com

Old 06-07-2019, 02:41 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,385,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
Hello,
I am going through a Pre-Employment Screening for a new job, but they use Sterling Background check (Or Sterling talent) company. Even though I feel I am fine and I know I'll pass, but I still worry which is a natural habit, I guess.
Anyways, when I googled searched this background check company, I was SCARED, 68/71 reviewers gave the company a 1 start out 5, saying they report false information, take weeks to complete screening, etc.

Has anyone gone through this company before for background checks? I already gave my notice to my current employer after signing the new offer, I am really nervous.

Thanks,
[Snip.]
Don't be concerned about bad reviews of the company. Those are from people who were in the wrong and don't want to admit it, they lost a job all on their own.

Background check companies are there to do a service. They don't make any judgement about things. They simply collect the information and tell the employer if the background check passed or not. If anything comes up at all, even a mistake, they will contact you to either make a correction or for additional information.

If it is taking too long, it is for the employer to contact them and ask what the delay is.

But I have to tell you, in 2019, you can have a spotless background, and when you include fingering printing, drug testing and the usual background check you might not be able to get the clear to start the job for 3 weeks or more. The process takes a long time because it isn't all accessible on a computer like they show in TV dramas. They actually have to contact people on the phone to ask them questions, and not everyone is always available.

Even if the employer comes back and tells you, that you didn't pass a background check, you ask why to get more details, because there can be mistakes in people's records. Or someone they contacted was reading from the wrong record and thought it was about you.

The biggest problem is the delay. I rarely hear about mistakes made by the background check company.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-07-2019 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Don't be concerned about bad reviews of the company. Those are from people who were in the wrong and don't want to admit it, they lost a job all on their own.

Background check companies are there to do a service. They don't make any judgement about things. They simply collect the information and tell the employer if the background check passed or not. If anything comes up at all, even a mistake, they will contact you to either make a correction or for additional information.

If it is taking too long, it is for the employer to contact them and ask what the delay is.

But I have to tell you, in 2019, you can have a spotless background, and when you include fingering printing, drug testing and the usual background check you might not be able to get the clear to start the job for 3 weeks or more. The process takes a long time because it isn't all accessible on a computer like they show in TV dramas. They actually have to contact people on the phone to ask them questions, and not everyone is always available.

Even if the employer comes back and tells you, that you didn't pass a background check, you ask why to get more details, because there can be mistakes in people's records. Or someone they contacted was reading from the wrong record and thought it was about you.

The biggest problem is the delay. I rarely hear about mistakes made by the background check company.
Thank you! I have never had any issues with any background check company, but when you see such reviews, it scares me since the opportunity I accepted is crucial.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
If you look at the trustpilot, you'll see what I am saying. I am just super nervous!

Quote:
Absolutely HORRIBLE.
IF THIS COMPANY IS DOING THE BACKGROUND CHECK FOR YOUR NEW JOB, CHANCES ARE,YOURE SCREWED.
THEY EMAIL YOU CONSTANTLY TO DO The things that THEY are hired to do! How hard is it to verify employment? Why on earth can't you just google the address and call them yourselves?? You need all my w2 forms for every year?? Who really keeps all that?? This place is a joke.

Seriously, these comments are from idiots like this one who don't keep good records, this is some how the background check company's fault? Everyone knows you keep IRS records for at least 7 years in case of an audit. At least they are contacting you for more information and not simply saying you failed a background check which is what most people fear.

Relax. Don't worry about it.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:53 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,772,651 times
Yea I wouldn't put much faith in these reviews. People tend to try getting revenge on the company that either fired them or didn't hire.

I've never had any issues with background checks. If you do have issues, it's your job to find out why.

Last edited by deposite; 06-07-2019 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Here is another good one:

Quote:
They should not even get one star.They…
They should not even get one star.They cost me a job in the automotive industy because of a misdermenor 13 years ago who goes that far back...

Right, this is the company's fault because the employer actually cared this fool had a negative record? Wow.

This reminds me of a book author who said he interviewed 150 men in jail. And every one of them said they didn't belong there. Each had stories as to why. The interviewer said very likely some of those stories were true, but the chances of all 150 of them don't belong in jail is extremely hard to believe.

If all the complaints were about people who said they had a 100% clean record and the company had reported false stuff, that might be an issue. But many times people don't provide all the information to the background check company so they can do their job. If it asks for the last 3 places you have lived, make sure that information is correct. If they ask for the names of the companies and addresses, make sure you have that info correct too.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:47 PM

23,626 posts, read 24,171,106 times
I’ve gone through Sterling for several pre-employment checks. They took about 1-1.5 weeks to complete. No adverse information was reported about me.

They verified:: name(s), social security number, past addresses, educational credentials, places of past employment, felony convictions, and positions held.

If you’re clean, I wouldn’t worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment