Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2023, 09:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Good morning all,

Anyone out there familiar with Chinatown, Wisconsin (or had heard of it?!?).

I actually heard about it last year, when going to Dundee, WI. And yesterday I drove through Chinatown.

I did a bit of research. Apparently in the 1950's, people from places like Milwaukee and Chicago were buying land and building summer homes in the northeast section of Long Lake.

It sounds like, per the other residents that already had homes there on the west side of the lake (the good side of the tracks (lake), apparently), had certain opinions of the houses being built across the lake. It sounds like they felt their new neighbors were building shoddier homes, and first referred to it as "Shantytown".... And because of the concern with possible high tides, stilts were placed under the houses being built, and so it was equated with how "Chinese" would make their houses, and so the name became "Chinatown".

I certainly did not see anyone that resembled possibly being of Chinese descent. But then again, I didn't see EVERY resident yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 10:05 PM

2,888 posts, read 989,003 times
That's really interesting. I wasn't aware of it but now I want to see it.

Maybe next time you can see every resident. Quite an undertaking.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:27 AM

snerk, good morning.

Going to use good old Wikipedia to research this one...

Chinatown is one of the unincorporated communities of Osceola, a town in Fond du Lac County.

As of 2000, there was 0.0% Asians!

Heck, I didn't even see any Chinese restaurants on my trip around there.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:17 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Looks like a pretty obscure town. Not even on Streetview.

Interesting name origin; I just sent the Wikipedia article to a couple friends.

I don't think I realized how dense with small lakes Wisconsin is. Pretty similar to Minnesota.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:11 PM

TheTimidBlueBars, good afternoon!

I must admit, as much of an urban guy that I am, I also enjoy the backroad drives, the lajes, the little towns, etc. that Wisconsin has to offer.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:41 AM

117 posts, read 84,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
TheTimidBlueBars, good afternoon!

I must admit, as much of an urban guy that I am, I also enjoy the backroad drives, the lajes, the little towns, etc. that Wisconsin has to offer.
If you wanna see the ultimate Wisconsin showcase, you should check out New Glarus, WI & Monroe, WI. Very picturesque, you could tour the backroads & see the barn quilts, & check out the Spotted Cow brewery, & see the only place in the western hemisphere that still produces Limberger cheese.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:08 PM

Kraftask, good afternoon. How are you, my friend?

Historically, Spotted Cow bear is loved by Chicagoland people. My friends there ask me to bring them some, when I come down to visit them.

Old 08-18-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Kraftask, good afternoon. How are you, my friend?

Historically, Spotted Cow bear is loved by Chicagoland people. My friends there ask me to bring them some, when I come down to visit them.

I'm doing well. I'm not sure about any Chinatowns up there. But i know there's a lot of Swiss ancestry in Green county WI.

Old 08-18-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Good morning all,

Anyone out there familiar with Chinatown, Wisconsin (or had heard of it?!?).

I actually heard about it last year, when going to Dundee, WI. And yesterday I drove through Chinatown.

I did a bit of research. Apparently in the 1950's, people from places like Milwaukee and Chicago were buying land and building summer homes in the northeast section of Long Lake.

It sounds like, per the other residents that already had homes there on the west side of the lake (the good side of the tracks (lake), apparently), had certain opinions of the houses being built across the lake. It sounds like they felt their new neighbors were building shoddier homes, and first referred to it as "Shantytown".... And because of the concern with possible high tides, stilts were placed under the houses being built, and so it was equated with how "Chinese" would make their houses, and so the name became "Chinatown".

I certainly did not see anyone that resembled possibly being of Chinese descent. But then again, I didn't see EVERY resident yesterday.
From what i've read is Chinatowns are mostly on the East & West coasts & Chicago in the Midwest but fun fact, St. Louis used to have a Chinatown before it was demolished to build Busch Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin