Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 10:18 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a position to work for an oilfield services employer in the Williston area. My question is, what do those of you who current live in the area or who have recently lived in the area (<5 years ago) think of it?

I'm a young (early 30s), single guy, no family and no kids. I don't mind the cold weather as I grew up in the Northeast. Currently I reside along the gulf coast in a city of <100,000 people. The biggest gripe I have is there is nothing here and I've had little luck finding a life partner. Mostly I'm looking to move up north to a cooler climate and new opportunity. I have no family or friends in ND, or anywhere close. I've always been independent, looking for the next adventure in life.

A few more questions:

1. Where do you recommend living? I plan on renting an apartment. Not ready to buy a home just yet.

2. Ideally I would like to meet a young, single lady. Any hypotheses on what the dating market is like in the area? Positive or negative outlook for single men?

3. Where are the top places to socialize in the area? .not really a church goer.

4. Are snow tires recommended for the winter months?

Any advice pertaining to there questions is greatly appreciated any any other advice regarding the area, city, state, etc. is appreciated too. You can also PM me if that is easier.

Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 07:07 AM

23 posts, read 23,322 times
Hey Matt,

I got your DM and I figured I would reply here in case there might be anyone else out there who cares what I might have to say on the subject. Like yourself, I am also in my 30's now. I am originally from the Chicago metro, but I left home for Texas at 19 and I have been working in oil and gas ever since. I was first based out of Houston on offshore platforms and for the last several here in ND. I much prefer it here. I have been asked on multiple occasions by the brass if I would consider going back to Texas and I have always declined. I am pretty content where I am. So on to your questions.

1) Funny you should mention this as I just closed on my first home less than 60 days ago. Prior to that I was always an apartment dweller here. I most recently lived here: https://www.bluffsofwilliston.com/. After awhile, I just got sick of apartment living. I wanted more privacy, more room for my dog and toys, etc. I guess I am getting old. That said, I don't think you will have much troubling finding a place here so long as you are gainfully employed. And let's face it, pretty much anyone who is sane and sober and wants to work can find a gig in some capacity here.

2) I am not the most ideal person to ask this to as I have been with the same girl for a little over a year now. It’s honestly starting to get a little scary since she might well be “the one”. She knows all my flaws and puts up with my crazy work schedule and still loves me. The bar scene in Williston is robust but boring after awhile. Lots of Olympic level hard drinking and meat market antics. Great for getting laid and being a jackass, but not the most ideal for finding miss right. I met my queen online. She lives in nearby Watford City.

3) What you do to socialize largely depends upon what you are into. You can find meetups and clubs of various stripes to sink your teeth into. If you are like me and outdoorsman activities are your thing, there is almost limitless possibilities to get your fix. Hunting, fishing, camping, ATV’s, snowmobiles, etc. are my jam. I work my balls off, so I live life to the fullest when I am not working. Work/Life balance in general is a bit of a train wreck out here to a large degree. All some people do is work. It's all about that money. F that. All the money in the world means jack if you have no time to spend it because the only thing you are doing on your off time is sleeping. As I have matured a bit now and I have significant tenure with the company, I make sure I take time for me.

4) I use Blizzacks on my truck, which IMHO are the best performing snow tires in terms of both traction and stopping ability. Having a 4x4 and a big heavy truck is helpful, but tires make a tremendous difference.

Last edited by ChiTownRobby; 02-03-2020 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston