Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 PM

420 posts, read 469,169 times

Advertisements

I inquired with someone that MDU is the electrical company in that area. I'm not sure who the gas company is. I was informed that water is expensive in that area. I'm not sure if she was exaggerating or making a comparison with some place "cheaper". Is the Williston area as expensive as it was a few years ago when there was a housing crisis in the Bakken regarding oil field workers having to shell out $2K for a small apartment or "mancamp"? People have said that Williston was comparable to NYC rentals so I figured so would the utilities be as well? From what I understand the Bakken housing crisis is not as bad now as it was a few years back when it was "hot". Either the workers burnt out and left or what...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
All that has changed regarding rentals. There are luxury apartments renting for 700-900 month, because there are so many available with the loss of many oil related jobs. Many rental companies are offering free cable and incentives because of the competition.

I am currently working on my rental house there, spending weekends, and just got home Sun. and my recent bill for gas and electric was 59.00. Water was averaging about 35 mth.

Still decent paying jobs there, although they may not be in the oil fields. Walmart had a sign up starting at 15 hr. JOBSND is where you might check online, then choose to check the Williston, N.D. area. Zip there is 58801 or Williams County N.D. You could also look at rentals online. I saw several online under the rent.com or such sites...Just make sure that you are looking in Williston, N.D. as there is also a Williston, Vermont.

MDU is the utility company for both gas and electric. And the City of Williston is who you contact for water and garbage.
http://cityofwilliston.com/

Last edited by JanND; 07-11-2017 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 11-07-2018, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 40,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
All that has changed regarding rentals. There are luxury apartments renting for 700-900 month, because there are so many available with the loss of many oil related jobs. Many rental companies are offering free cable and incentives because of the competition.

I am currently working on my rental house there, spending weekends, and just got home Sun. and my recent bill for gas and electric was 59.00. Water was averaging about 35 mth.

Still decent paying jobs there, although they may not be in the oil fields. Walmart had a sign up starting at 15 hr. JOBSND is where you might check online, then choose to check the Williston, N.D. area. Zip there is 58801 or Williams County N.D. You could also look at rentals online. I saw several online under the rent.com or such sites...Just make sure that you are looking in Williston, N.D. as there is also a Williston, Vermont.

MDU is the utility company for both gas and electric. And the City of Williston is who you contact for water and garbage.
Welcome to Williston, ND

Hi, I know this post is over a year old, but am wondering if this has changed yet. Are the newer luxury townhomes/ apartments still affordable? Is the boom creeping back to the point of pricing us out of rent after we go through the trouble of moving there? How's the crime? (We're an older retired couple).
Williston looks to be near the bottom of the 'safest towns' list of North Dakota I would rather not live there due to the stated concerns but unfortunately, Williston is the only town that has nice looking townhomes for rent within a reasonable distance to my hometown & family.
TIA

Old 07-10-2021, 05:11 PM

26 posts, read 21,010 times
This is some good information, and quite comforting! I was worried about affordability but it looks like it's going to work for us!
We just gotta learn how to live in snow country.
(Coming from semi-tropical which I have grown to loathe.)

Old 07-17-2021, 06:51 PM

26 posts, read 21,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleflower View Post
Hi, I know this post is over a year old, but am wondering if this has changed yet. Are the newer luxury townhomes/ apartments still affordable? Is the boom creeping back to the point of pricing us out of rent after we go through the trouble of moving there? How's the crime? (We're an older retired couple).
Williston looks to be near the bottom of the 'safest towns' list of North Dakota I would rather not live there due to the stated concerns but unfortunately, Williston is the only town that has nice looking townhomes for rent within a reasonable distance to my hometown & family.
TIA
The complex my daughter and I are planning to move into is lovely and seems to run from $700-$900, depending on the square footage. The complex was what sold me on moving there. I'll grow to love the town, I'm sure. As for crime, I'm afraid that's one of the constants of the universe, it has touched our family - one reason we're moving, because Houston ranks way up there on the scale of crime-ridden areas - but I would think a town the size of Williston would have a much lower rate. It's up to each of us to ensure our own safety with proper caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: