Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 PM

52 posts, read 174,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelbis View Post
You can't depend on Census data for infomation on Williston. The town has just grown too quickly and when they did the Census most people put down where they came from as their residence. While blacks are still not very numerous, the town is definitely not as racially homogenous as it was when I moved here in 05.
Do you at least see black people everyday? I know I should not care, but I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
quietlake, really the only way for a person to know up to date answers to your question is to make a trip and assess things yourself. I do not see race as a problem anywhere in N.D. I did however note when I moved to N.D. in 81, that there is still a lot of race issues between the Native Americans and Caucasions, which I have heard is mutual. And between the Mexican Americans and Caucasions. I have never seen any blatant predjudice, but it is there. Now lots of folks will deny this, but it is my opinion, even on the Eastern half of N.D. where we have nearly ever culture and immigrant here.
One interesting tidbit of N.D. history is that there were Black farmers, added a couple website links. I have heard that is where the term buffalo soldiers came from. I don't have the websites bookmarked, but you should be able to find something.
http://buffalopost.net/?p=16657
http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=24162
http://robt.shepherd.tripod.com/black-cowboy.html
http://history.nd.gov/ndhistory/firstpeople.html
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/38000.html

Last edited by JanND; 01-14-2012 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: added links to history of N.D.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 AM

249 posts, read 645,193 times
buffalo soldiers name came from the Indians who thought the Black soldiers hair was like that of the buffalo...

The Buffalo Soldiers were part of the groups sent out to annihilate the Indians...

Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
buffalo soldiers name came from the Indians who thought the Black soldiers hair was like that of the buffalo...

The Buffalo Soldiers were part of the groups sent out to annihilate the Indians...
That is discussed in one of the links. Interesting reading if you have the time.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM

57 posts, read 101,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post
Do you at least see black people everyday? I know I should not care, but I do.
I saw black people every single day in Dickinson. It's tough to tell unless you see someones face as everyone wears Carhart and hats so everyone looks the same. Anyone willing to come here in search of a better life has work ethic and drive regardless of skin color. There's no racism here. The only color anyone cares about is Green as in Money. Nothing to worry about at all.

The only grumbles I heard were about the Spanish speaking illegals that some of these subcontractors are bringing in by the truckloads. They work for next to nothing and the oil workers fear it will drive wages and more importanly living conditons down.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrelocation View Post
I saw black people every single day in Dickinson. It's tough to tell unless you see someones face as everyone wears Carhart and hats so everyone looks the same. Anyone willing to come here in search of a better life has work ethic and drive regardless of skin color. There's no racism here. The only color anyone cares about is Green as in Money. Nothing to worry about at all.

The only grumbles I heard were about the Spanish speaking illegals that some of these subcontractors are bringing in by the truckloads. They work for next to nothing and the oil workers fear it will drive wages and more importanly living conditons down.
ndrelocation.....From what you described yesterday I don't see how it could drive the living conditions further down. We just had an Olive Garden stop building cause the whole crew got deported. Having any better luck today w/ housing?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:41 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
ndrelocation.....From what you described yesterday I don't see how it could drive the living conditions further down. We just had an Olive Garden stop building cause the whole crew got deported. Having any better luck today w/ housing?
Jan, the one in GF ?? We are excited for the opening....our son has food allergies (milk, egg, peanuts) and is one of the few places he can eat spaghetti without butter.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM

57 posts, read 101,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Living conditions certainly can get worse than they are now Jan. If you've ever seen how illegals aliens are treated by farmers, you'd be shocked. I've seen them washing cloths in creeks and pooping in 5 gallon buckets living 20 to a trailer. That was back East also.

No housing available for now unless you have unlimited resources. Still trying though. It may take some time. Winter here is exceptionaly mild as long as the windchill stays low. I think I could live here for a few years if I could find housing.

Last edited by ndrelocation; 01-14-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Jan, the one in GF ?? We are excited for the opening....our son has food allergies (milk, egg, peanuts) and is one of the few places he can eat spaghetti without butter.
Dan...Yes, G.F. I have a son who grew up w/ allergies too. Try Amazing Grains.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrelocation View Post
Living conditions certainly can get worse than they are now Jan. If you've ever seen how illegals aliens are treated by farmers, you'd be shocked. I've seen them washing cloths in creeks and pooping in 5 gallon buckets living 20 to a trailer. That was back East also.

No housing available for now unless you have unlimited resources. Still trying though. It may take some time. Winter here is exceptionaly mild as long as the windchill stays low. I think I could live here for a few years if I could find housing.
ndrelocation....This is the warmest winter I've seen in the 31 yrs I've lived here in N.D. Dickinson is the banana belt....almost always warmer than anywhere else in N.D.
Quietlake....Not trying to steal your thread. I can honestly say that we have many cultures and races in G.F. And while I still lived in Williston we had a few black students, I understand more folks of color now. I have not ever seem blatant racial discrimination. I personally would be more concerned in being a single female in that area from the stories I hear/read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston