Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 07:34 PM

54 posts, read 46,198 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the responses. While Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee are beautiful and clean, we prefer to locate ourselves outside of any radiation fallout zones of nuclear power stations, so had already scratched those.

Won't scratch LJ off the top of the list yet since it checks so many of our boxes. Definitely will visit for an extended period of time though!

I welcome any other lake suggestions that may fit our criteria.

Thanks everyone!

MM

Last edited by Movinmel5201; 12-16-2023 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 10:13 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, this area is to the southwest of AVL, but aircraft arriving from ATL begin their descent well in advance of arrival.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:20 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Yes, this area is to the southwest of AVL, but aircraft arriving from ATL begin their descent well in advance of arrival.
I realize that, and why I attached the map indicating the traffic pattern east of the lake.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:33 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinmel5201 View Post
I appreciate the responses. While Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee are beautiful and clean, we prefer to locate ourselves outside of any radiation fallout zones of nuclear power stations, so had already scratched those.
How big is a "fallout zone"? Lake James is just about the 50 miles from the McGuire Nuclear Station.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:10 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Just write to Duke Power and get a free supply of potassium iodide tablets, problem solved.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
How big is a "fallout zone"? Lake James is just about the 50 miles from the McGuire Nuclear Station.
From maps I've seen, Lake James is outside of fallout zones of current nuclear stations.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:13 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
OP, have you looked at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia? It's not in a fallout zone...

Old 12-19-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, have you looked at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia? It's not in a fallout zone...
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a look!

MM

Old 01-06-2024, 07:27 AM

28 posts, read 69,667 times
Hi, I have lived at a campground for last 3 years for 6 months during the summer on Lake James. My friend and I have a boat, so we are out often on the lake, as well as I have water views from my site. The Planes I feel wont be any type of hindrance. Yes, they do fly over and near Lake James at times, some weeks between 10-11 AM and some in afternoon around 2ish PM. I have never heard them at night. I actually am absolutely thrilled to see them. I luv airshows, fighter jets, etc. Its truly amazing to see them and their gone as fast as they appear. I look forward everyday to see them. No clue what happens during winter months. Also Lake James is very large and IMO very little boat traffic in general since it's such a large lake. Yes, maybe the July 4th, etc it can look pretty busy, especially if you have to launch a boat (which I don't have to) but still I've been on many lakes where it seems a boat is next to you all day long and your wiped from watching every boat because of some crazy boat drivers not paying attention. If I had the Buckaroos, I would certainly buy a place without hesitation in that area or on the LAKE (BIG $$$$ FOR THAT). My 2 cents. :-)

Old 01-06-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmxchuck View Post
Hi, I have lived at a campground for last 3 years for 6 months during the summer on Lake James. My friend and I have a boat, so we are out often on the lake, as well as I have water views from my site. The Planes I feel wont be any type of hindrance. Yes, they do fly over and near Lake James at times, some weeks between 10-11 AM and some in afternoon around 2ish PM. I have never heard them at night. I actually am absolutely thrilled to see them. I luv airshows, fighter jets, etc. Its truly amazing to see them and their gone as fast as they appear. I look forward everyday to see them. No clue what happens during winter months. Also Lake James is very large and IMO very little boat traffic in general since it's such a large lake. Yes, maybe the July 4th, etc it can look pretty busy, especially if you have to launch a boat (which I don't have to) but still I've been on many lakes where it seems a boat is next to you all day long and your wiped from watching every boat because of some crazy boat drivers not paying attention. If I had the Buckaroos, I would certainly buy a place without hesitation in that area or on the LAKE (BIG $$$$ FOR THAT). My 2 cents. :-)

Thank you, cmxchuck, for taking the time thoroughly sharing your experience and thoughts regarding the noise above and on Lake James! We're looking forward to visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina