Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:45 AM

4,801 posts, read 10,662,736 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the kind words, getatag...

Have had the Vert since new, 22 yrs ago. It is TheBestCar I have owned in 61+ yrs of lots of different cars, inc 25 yrs worth of good company cars.

For us, our western NC mtn home is 'home', as we have always remained NC citizens, never FL rez, so our EscapeWinterHouse is a retreat for us. But, I have become "Florida'd Out" after 19 winters there...

However, my CEO really likes it there, so 'we like it', but I press for later going/earlier coming home, ever year.

Enjoy your Beech Mtn situ this weekend; nothing beats higher elevation living, imo!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 11:02 AM

9,784 posts, read 15,850,517 times
Your pictures are beautiful. Wow that view from your mountain home! And your homes are lovely.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:49 PM

5,494 posts, read 6,148,755 times
MD I can echo your thoughts, the C5 was probably one of the best cars I ever owned. I did have to replace the gears in the headlights with brass ones. One of the plastic gears lost a few teeth. While I was in there I noticed the two bolts allowing the hinge movement of the lights was stripped. I found a better solution for just a few bucks at a hardware store. I used a single threaded shaft with a plastic hose over it to keep it centered and functioning. Other than that, I drove the car like I stole it most times and it was always flawless until I sold it 4 years ago.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:50 AM

26,188 posts, read 13,152,687 times
I love that picture. I can't imagine having that view from my home. A good friend of mine came close to moving to this area, & buying a home w/ a view like that, but his health, and the health of his significant other, wasn't doing well, & the healthcare situation where they were looking was not good...too far away.

They were looking near the NC-SC state line Northwest of Greenville, SC. They'd have to drive an hour into Greenville SC for most healthcare.

They decided to stay here in FLA just a few weeks ago.

I can't wait to return to Brevard this Summer. I don't have a view, but if I return in 2025, I'm renting a vrbo w/ a view.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:10 AM

Above average Sunday sunrise sun rays view yesterday morning...

The sun rays lasted only about ~ 3 mins, but I grabbed a quick image with my cell phone cam.

Mostly low to mid 60s for highs up here at our elevation, with 40s to barely 50 overnight for BeautyRestTime with the BR windows open, A/C off...But it will warm up this week, the weather guessers say.

Mid 70s down below on our ball chasing track, at LRCC...

If one doesn't like Spring here in the Mtns, I can't offer any ideas on 'where else to be' this time of year!
GL, mD

Old 05-24-2024, 10:38 AM

A Walk in our area woods, seeing wildflowers, last week and the usual daily rain and T Storms this May...

Bumper crop of native Trillium this season:

Squaw root:

Common Blue Violet:

May Apple about to bloom:

Typical rainy view, very wet May up here at elevation...almost a winter like sky:

Up and at 'em for the rare non-raining sunrise view:

All these rainy days call for a medicinal bev before weekend dinners...need to resupply:

Old 05-25-2024, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the pics MD..... especially the "Dead Soldier" in the last pic.

Old 05-26-2024, 03:36 PM

Thank you, getatag!
I will restock on that and a couple other species of my fave bevs when we do a run to NJ, to see our adult Kidz this summer...

NJ has some good pricing on wines, spirits et al and since we will be there, some stocking up is in order.
Hope you and your Fam are all doing well!

Old 05-27-2024, 05:46 AM

Family is well, we have spent the last three weeks at Beech. Soon to be heading to visit No.1 son in Virginia, then off to the OuterBanks for a weeks vacation with almost 40 close family members. Following that, a short stop at the flatlands house, then back here, hopefully until the lowlands cools off in Sept or Oct.

In an effort not to be guilty of thread drift/hijack, I'll include a picture from a recent hike to the top of our world here at Beech.

(This is from the 5506' bar at the top of Beech, looking out at mostly Tennessee and maybe a sliver of Virginia on the far right.)

Old 05-27-2024, 01:09 PM

Nice view image!
I have several pairs of sneaks, a pair almost like yours...Merrell forgot how to make laces that aren't round/stay tied.

Calves are in shape...mine have eroded, my TM neuro situ does not help usual former rigorous trudging, and muscle cells ain't 'connected much', so I have had some former good muscle erosion. But, I suck it up and keep going.

More absolute Soakers most of last night and all morning into noon, up here. We are up to the gunnels and if I don't see rain for weeks, I will not care...

Nice and coolish up here for Memorial Day, however.

We might get to 60, but I doubt it...enjoy your Fam and travels, and dodge the freakin idiots.
GL, mD

ignore the date & time: impossible to set/keep set accurately

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina