Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 09:49 AM

518 posts, read 626,097 times

Advertisements

I'm researching areas of Westchester to live where I don't need a car. I'm looking to possibly buy a co-op but it would have to be in an area where I can walk to supermarkets, pharmacies, libraries, vets. etc. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 10:14 AM

821 posts, read 773,531 times
Honestly, you need a car pretty much in most places in Westchester. If you don't have one, you'll likely use a taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc quite frequently.

You can minimize car use in certain more densely populated areas. A lot of retirees live in the apartments near the Hartsdale Train Station. You can also probably get by without a car in downtown White Plains (one user on this forum lives in an apt there and doesn't have a car). Sections of Fleetwood in Mount Vernon, Yonkers and downtown New Rochelle likely also apply since they are more densely populated.

Old 02-07-2024, 11:19 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I'm researching areas of Westchester to live where I don't need a car. I'm looking to possibly buy a co-op but it would have to be in an area where I can walk to supermarkets, pharmacies, libraries, vets. etc. Any suggestions?
White Plains. No need for a car unless you want to leave the city. Hospital, doctors, pharmacies, restaurants, and shopping all close to or in the city center.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:50 PM

518 posts, read 626,097 times
Thanks. I could most lkely be very content in downtown White Plaines without a car. I'm going to check into that area. Are there good and bad parts of White Plaines? I just want out of New York City. As long as I can walk to supermarkets, libraries, pharmacies, I would be happy. If I do commit to a co-op or condo, I want to
be sure I'm making the right move.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I could most lkely be very content in downtown White Plaines without a car. I'm going to check into that area. Are there good and bad parts of White Plaines? I just want out of New York City. As long as I can walk to supermarkets, libraries, pharmacies, I would be happy. If I do commit to a co-op or condo, I want to be sure I'm making the right move.
What one person considers a "good part" may be considered a "bad part" by another. So I really cannot comment on that. I think it is a very safe place. The closer to the city center yo will find it more likely you can walk. I would recommend renting for a year before you buy so you can get to know the parts of the city.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:44 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Thanks. I could most lkely be very content in downtown White Plaines without a car. I'm going to check into that area. Are there good and bad parts of White Plaines? I just want out of New York City. As long as I can walk to supermarkets, libraries, pharmacies, I would be happy. If I do commit to a co-op or condo, I want to
be sure I'm making the right move.

Being able to walk to these places is very personal.

How far do you want to walk to the supermarket and carry your groceries back home?

Do you want to be able to walk to the train station?

How far is too far? In the cold? In the heat? In the slush?

Only you can decide.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:04 PM

47 posts, read 18,913 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you are going to need a car in Westchester. Anyone telling you you can live without one in Westchester is an idiot and giving you bad advise.

Where are you exactly working? Even if you are working in Manhattan but want to live in White Plains, you are going to be disappointed when you need to do something within Westchester. Do you have kids? What do you typically do on the weekends? Do you visit areas that are rural?
Westchester towns are weird cause you could live walkable to a train station but the big grocery station will require you to drive. There are very few places that have 24/7 or extended hours pharmacy or even a 711. The Bee Line bus system is useless and maybe if half the lines were BRT or light rail you might have a shot to live car free. Walkable means less than 1/2 a mile.

Using Uber or Lyft every day or even just five days will be more expensive than even a cheap car.
The best you can do is live car lite which means you use your car only when you need it but that depends where you work.
I wish we would rely less on cars and that's why I live in the city and only come to Westchester to visit family.
You got a better shot living car-free in Hoboken or Jersey City than in Westchester considering NJ's leadership sucks the car lobby dick more than NY leadership.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymma View Post
Sorry, but you are going to need a car in Westchester. Anyone telling you you can live without one in Westchester is an idiot and giving you bad advise.

Where are you exactly working? Even if you are working in Manhattan but want to live in White Plains, you are going to be disappointed when you need to do something within Westchester. Do you have kids? What do you typically do on the weekends? Do you visit areas that are rural?
Westchester towns are weird cause you could live walkable to a train station but the big grocery station will require you to drive. There are very few places that have 24/7 or extended hours pharmacy or even a 711. The Bee Line bus system is useless and maybe if half the lines were BRT or light rail you might have a shot to live car free. Walkable means less than 1/2 a mile.

Using Uber or Lyft every day or even just five days will be more expensive than even a cheap car.
The best you can do is live car lite which means you use your car only when you need it but that depends where you work.
I wish we would rely less on cars and that's why I live in the city and only come to Westchester to visit family.
You got a better shot living car-free in Hoboken or Jersey City than in Westchester considering NJ's leadership sucks the car lobby dick more than NY leadership.
Anyone saying you are going to need a car is Westchester is an idiot giving yo bad advice. Sadly you think the entire world is "you" or at least lives like "you". There are many thousands who do not have cars and live fine in this county. What completely idiotic comments.

Best of luck to original poster. Of course you can live without a car. of course there are limitations to depending on walking and public transportation. But if you are okay with those limits, its not a big deal at all.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:11 AM

47 posts, read 18,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Anyone saying you are going to need a car is Westchester is an idiot giving yo bad advice. Sadly you think the entire world is "you" or at least lives like "you". There are many thousands who do not have cars and live fine in this county. What completely idiotic comments.

Best of luck to original poster. Of course you can live without a car. of course there are limitations to depending on walking and public transportation. But if you are okay with those limits, its not a big deal at all.
I am being realistic and you are being moronic. White Plains isn't LIC, Queensboro Plaza, Williamsburg, Broadway Junction, Jamaica Center, Woodside, Hoboken, or Jersey City. You can live in those places car-free.

That's why I asked the poster about their lifestyle and where they work. Maybe you should think before insulting people. Ubering everytime will cost more and Ubers are not always frequent.
14% of Westchester Count doesn't own a car. Most of these are either illegals or unmarried couples where one partner owns a car but the other doesn't.

Last edited by prodigymma; 02-09-2024 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-11-2024, 12:08 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
I recently moved to Tuckahoe. My lady does not have a car. I have a truck. She works from home and is generally a homebody though.

My take…..you need a vehicle living outside of any city. She gets along fine so far because I have one. And frankly, she will get one at some point as well.

Also to the OP: If you’re trying to escape the city because of how city life is and all that comes with it, I don’t think you’ll be that happy in downtown white plains. I probably experience more beggars and skells over there than many parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County