Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 09:06 AM

17 posts, read 12,167 times

Advertisements

So, first, I don't have a horse in this race. But I am interested in understanding the objective realities of what is likely to occur, following what I increasingly view as the likely scenario of Edgemont successfully incorporating.

I have my own views, but would love to hear / learn from you all as to how you see the rest of the unincorporated Greenburgh developing over the years after any would-be Edgemont incorporation.

And on the other side of that coin, how do you think Edgemont will fair in managing its own town? There have been cases where newly incorporated towns fail to deliver. My guess is that it succeeds.

For anyone who needs to be caught-up on the latest - tl;dr...

A proposed amendment by Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart Cousins would allow Edgemont's 7,800 residents to vote on becoming an independent village with their own government until 2040, without needing petitions. This could significantly boost Edgemont's chances of incorporation, but Greenburgh town officials worry it might lower quality of life in the rest of the town due to lost tax revenues from Edgemont.

https://nysfocus.com/2024/01/22/edge...llage-new-york

https://thehudsonindependent.com/gre...n-legislation/

https://www.greenburghny.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2338
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 02:45 PM

81 posts, read 85,198 times
Huh, I just read wikipedia and found out Edgemont is just a nickname, apparently the official name has always been Greenville (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgemont,_New_York). I knew Edgemont was somehow contained inside of Greenburgh, but I never knew Edgemont's official name was Greenville. I've never heard anyone call it that.

Anyway, the story here is the same as every incorporation battle -- Edgemont would be better off by leaving (at least as measured by property values, control over tax dollars, and less worry that you kids might someday be re-zoned to a different school across town for "equity"), but Greenburgh would be worse off from losing an affluent tax base.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:13 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heapchk View Post
Huh, I just read wikipedia and found out Edgemont is just a nickname, apparently the official name has always been Greenville (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgemont,_New_York). I knew Edgemont was somehow contained inside of Greenburgh, but I never knew Edgemont's official name was Greenville. I've never heard anyone call it that.

Anyway, the story here is the same as every incorporation battle -- Edgemont would be better off by leaving (at least as measured by property values, control over tax dollars, and less worry that you kids might someday be re-zoned to a different school across town for "equity"), but Greenburgh would be worse off from losing an affluent tax base.
There is no such thing as being "re-zoned to a different school across town" in this context. The Edgemont School District is the Edgemont School District. Whether an incorporated village comes into existence or not, the School District is unaffected.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:16 PM

16 posts, read 18,946 times
Greenburg can absolutely re-zone school districts in it's territory if they want to, and it's not exactly rare for something like that to happen.

Old 02-02-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
There is no such thing as being "re-zoned to a different school across town" in this context. The Edgemont School District is the Edgemont School District. Whether an incorporated village comes into existence or not, the School District is unaffected.
Untrue. As mentioned above, Greenburgh can legally rezone any school district in its unincorporated territory if it wants; but this is not just theoretical -- they already did it. In particular, Hartsdale had its own school district until the 1960s but that was rezoned and merged with other Greenburgh schools.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Untrue. As mentioned above, Greenburgh can legally rezone any school district in its unincorporated territory if it wants; but this is not just theoretical -- they already did it. In particular, Hartsdale had its own school district until the 1960s but that was rezoned and merged with other Greenburgh schools.
No one who resides in the Edgemont SD can have their kid sent to a school outside the district (absent uncommon special education placements on consent of the family). The existence, or lack thereof, of an Edgemont Village will have no effect on this.

People on this thread are misunderstanding and misusing certain terms. The Edgemont SD has finite boundaries. Either you live in the district, or you don't. For those that live in the district, your kid will go to Edgemont schools. An Edgemont Village does not need to form in order to thwart some insidious forcible move of an Edgemont SD neighborhood to a school in any other school district.

The Town of Greenburgh has absolutely no power to "rezone" anything relating to schools. In fact, the Town cannot do anything in relation to schools.

Old 02-10-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The Town of Greenburgh has absolutely no power to "rezone" anything relating to schools. In fact, the Town cannot do anything in relation to schools.
Curios why you say this. What government do you think created and controls and collects taxes for and pay for the edgemont schools? (Hint: unincorporated edgemont does not have a government so it obviously can't be them). You agree Greenburgh created and controls the edgemont school district, but you don't think Greenburgh can ever change it?

Greenburgh already *has* rezoned school districts before -- ask anyone who used to live in the Hartsdale School District https://hartsdaleneighbors.org/harts...ool%20District which no longer exists because Greenburgh rezoned it away in 1967 amid great controversy. I wasn't around back then, but I have neighbors who remember it.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Curios why you say this. What government do you think created and controls and collects taxes for and pay for the edgemont schools? (Hint: unincorporated edgemont does not have a government so it obviously can't be them). You agree Greenburgh created and controls the edgemont school district, but you don't think Greenburgh can ever change it?

Greenburgh already *has* rezoned school districts before -- ask anyone who used to live in the Hartsdale School District https://hartsdaleneighbors.org/harts...ool%20District which no longer exists because Greenburgh rezoned it away in 1967 amid great controversy. I wasn't around back then, but I have neighbors who remember it.
The Edgemont School District controls and collects taxes for the Edgemont schools. It is its own incorporated governmental entity, with a finite geographic border. Residents within the border elect a school board, and the school board levies taxes against properties within the border. The existence of an incorporated Edgemont Village, or lack thereof, does not affect the Edgemont School District.

The Town of Greenburgh did not create, and has never controlled, the Edgemont School District. The Edgemont School District was not founded by the Town of Greenburgh, and the Town of Greenburgh has no power to dissolve it or affect it in any way.

The Hartsdale School District, I believe, was merged with another small school district through a process forced by the State - a process which I believe can't be replicated today. This newly formed district is the present day Greenburgh School District. But, in any event, the Town of Greenburgh had nothing to do with it.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
The Town of Greenburgh did not create, and has never controlled, the Edgemont School District. The Edgemont School District was not founded by the Town of Greenburgh, and the Town of Greenburgh has no power to dissolve it or affect it in any way.
If the Edgemont school district wasn't created by the town of Greenburgh, then who do you think *did* create it? (It can't be the government of Edgemont, since Edgemont is unincorporated and does not have its own government other than Greenburgh).

Old 03-01-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
If the Edgemont school district wasn't created by the town of Greenburgh, then who do you think *did* create it? (It can't be the government of Edgemont, since Edgemont is unincorporated and does not have its own government other than Greenburgh).
The state did - indirectly. Shortly after formation, the State permitted the creation of common school districts, which were very small, and very local, school districts, with usually just one room school houses for a handful of kids who could walk there. In 1853 it created the concept of a "union free school district", to be created amongst a bunch of neighboring common school districts. Edgemont is a union free school district, so its creation, in its current form, must have been in 1853 or later.

I know you may find it hard to believe, but there exists in this world things that have not been created by the Town of Greenburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County