Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 02:03 PM

22 posts, read 15,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
A full house generator? What would be the power source?

Natural gas is far the best and most stable solution, but there isn't natural gas in north of NYC. However, there is natural gas line in some areas of NJ.

In Westchester, a whole house generators needs multiple propane tanks.

A small portable generators use gasoline.

When I lived in Boston suburbs, our weather was similar to upper Westchester - perhaps a little colder, but just as snowy. However, Boston's suburbs power lines were buried below ground. So no power outages.
Never thought of that. Any towns in Westchester with underground power lines?

Yes it seems propane is the only option on the NY side. Score one for CT in that regard.

It's definitely pricey with an additional cost on top of the generator/installation, the propane tanks and higher usage costs but as you've described, the alternative is a nightmare that can't be measured in money (or it can partially if you had to get a hotel as a result).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
A LATE EDIT - so southeast to NJ for a second home. Less snow on the NJ shore.
I have not looked much in NJ but it's a good point. Not my ideal environment there but may be worth it to avoid the worst of winter.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:48 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
OP - I'm assuming you're not interested in a condo or townhome?

Old 10-25-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
OP - I'm assuming you're not interested in a condo or townhome?
Not ideally since we want some privacy and the whole point is to escape the NYC density and stretch our legs.

But it does possibly solve some issues in terms of maintenance (if HOA handles that). If it was the right set up, might consider it.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:17 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we had a second home in the poconos .

it never failed .

our temperature monitor would call at 2 am and tell us the temperature in the house was approaching 40 degrees .

we are here in nyc …is it a power outage? did our heat crap out ? is it just us that lost power ?

it was so stressful dealing with this and all the constant maintenance..we sold it eventually
That is why we own a bungalow in the three season community on a Lake in NYS Dutchess County. The community pays a maintenance guy to go into ever unit and pump out & turn off the water in every unit in the fall. Then they turn it back on in the Spring.

The advantage of this arrangement is that there is no need to worry about heating the house in winter. The downside of course is that we can not stay in winter. But for us, as a family with smallish kids, the lack of headache is more important...

Old 10-25-2023, 04:21 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeleven View Post
Never thought of that. Any towns in Westchester with underground power lines?

Yes it seems propane is the only option on the NY side. Score one for CT in that regard.

It's definitely pricey with an additional cost on top of the generator/installation, the propane tanks and higher usage costs but as you've described, the alternative is a nightmare that can't be measured in money (or it can partially if you had to get a hotel as a result).
On the underground power, it would not matter if it was underground in your town, it would still be tree level from the power station to you ground entry point. The system is just not designed that way. But I'm been on my multi acre rural lot in northern westchester for 30 years. I've got a 500 gallon propane tank on my property that I've never come close to running out of, even during the 5 day loss of power after Irene, which was the longest we ever had. Lost power for a whole day 5 times in my 30 years, mostly its short term. I also have a nice gas stovetop and oven, wall hung propane water heater that backs up my solar fed electric heat pumps as my primary heat source. Never run out of propane, never need multiple tanks. I do not know anyone who feeds a 100 - 200 AMP backup generator with multiple tanks. Even a dedicated 250 gallon will give you 5 days. A 120 tank should get you 2 days, which other than the one storm Irene, would have been enough for my 30 years here. but talk to a contractor for exacts on a specific unit. They have gotten far better in terms of efficiency over the years.

If you are really worried, just hire a property manager to go in during a storm and on a set schedule. Pipes take 2-3 days to burst in sub 0 (sub 32) temps and if you have a temperature warning and someone who can go in and reestablish heat, you will never have a problem.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:08 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
On the underground power, it would not matter if it was underground in your town, it would still be tree level from the power station to you ground entry point. The system is just not designed that way. But I'm been on my multi acre rural lot in northern westchester for 30 years. I've got a 500 gallon propane tank on my property that I've never come close to running out of, even during the 5 day loss of power after Irene, which was the longest we ever had. Lost power for a whole day 5 times in my 30 years, mostly its short term. I also have a nice gas stovetop and oven, wall hung propane water heater that backs up my solar fed electric heat pumps as my primary heat source. Never run out of propane, never need multiple tanks. I do not know anyone who feeds a 100 - 200 AMP backup generator with multiple tanks. Even a dedicated 250 gallon will give you 5 days. A 120 tank should get you 2 days, which other than the one storm Irene, would have been enough for my 30 years here. but talk to a contractor for exacts on a specific unit. They have gotten far better in terms of efficiency over the years.

If you are really worried, just hire a property manager to go in during a storm and on a set schedule. Pipes take 2-3 days to burst in sub 0 (sub 32) temps and if you have a temperature warning and someone who can go in and reestablish heat, you will never have a problem.
My friend has two propane tanks - I don't know how much each tanks holds.

Dr. Strangelove do you have to switch the generator on?

As for CT, only a minority of homes has natural gas.

CT property taxes are half of Westchester's. If you aren't using the schools, your tax dollars are paying for police/fire department/garbage pick ups. Why not pay less?

As for NJ, the shore has less snow, but western NJ is as bad as northern Westchester in terms of snow and cold.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:30 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
My friend has two propane tanks - I don't know how much each tanks holds.

Dr. Strangelove do you have to switch the generator on?

As for CT, only a minority of homes has natural gas.

CT property taxes are half of Westchester's. If you aren't using the schools, your tax dollars are paying for police/fire department/garbage pick ups. Why not pay less?

As for NJ, the shore has less snow, but western NJ is as bad as northern Westchester in terms of snow and cold.
My generator is a manual turn, so I go out and have to start it, turn the main power off, turn the feed into the panel from the generator on, then when power was restored do the same thing in reverse.

Now though, if you have an electrician set it up, they can monitor the power by itself, turn itself on and off when the power comes out. If I was not in residence, this would be the fix. Its not that much money.

I suppose if you want to buy or rent two smaller thanks, its up to you. I do not understand why one would do it, but if it is design or something about how they look, its up to you. If your friend is in Westchester where they make deliveries pretty much at any point in the week, they could easily get a single tank. Far north where you have to set up deliveries at least a week in advance, bigger tanks are the norm. I just like the convenience of a bigger tank.

On the taxes, YorktownGal is exactly right. CT property taxes are generally MUCH MUCH lower than Westchester's. The main reason is to use the schools. But then again, sometimes people spend so much time (and money) making their home and property perfect, they are reluctant to leave. My wife hears the west coast calling for a few reasons, but I am not ready to leave this home yet. I doubt I ever will. But the taxes will likely force me out at some point. Because they are ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:48 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
On the taxes, YorktownGal is exactly right. CT property taxes are generally MUCH MUCH lower than Westchester's. The main reason is to use the schools. But then again, sometimes people spend so much time (and money) making their home and property perfect, they are reluctant to leave. My wife hears the west coast calling for a few reasons, but I am not ready to leave this home yet. I doubt I ever will. But the taxes will likely force me out at some point. Because they are ridiculous.
Going five miles up into Putnam County saves on taxes too. Although, not as much as CT.

Just remember: when your kids are young, a weekend place is fun. In middle school and high school, they will complain about leave their friends on the weekends. Depending on their friends, putting up with the complaining may be worth it.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 10-28-2023 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-29-2023, 05:13 AM

337 posts, read 356,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeleven View Post
So a vacation home in Scarsdale or White Plains it is LOL.

Well that's disheartening to hear. Funny that a NYC apartment would be a place of refuge during storms but it's true.

Even if you could escape to NYC there's those frozen pipes to worry about in event of power outage. Perhaps a full house generator would mitigate the risk/stress? A small expense for peace of mind when you can't be there. I'm mostly trying to talk myself into it now!
You'd be surprised how beautiful some of the homes are in those towns and some are "off-the-beaten path" if you're far away enough from the train station in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County