Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,089 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lived here in Bronxville for the past 6 years while my daughter has been attending elementary school. I was a bit hesitant when we came down here, but my ex wife and I were going though a divorce and she was adamant about this place. She is Taiwanese and really liked the school district. She had friends here as well and knew a bit more than I did. She was right and we both moved to here and I can say it's been a good experience. As for diversity, well you will find some, but like another posted wrote, it's an affluent town and the real-estate is quite high here. The town is only 1 square mile so it doesn't have as much area to covers like other towns in Westchester. My daughter is mixed (like yours) and she has no issues here. She has lots of friends (mostly white) but she is alway good friends with hispanic and asian kids. There is not much of a presence for black family in the school district, however with Sarah Lawrence college and the surrounding towns Bronxville draws in a diverse crowd, which I was very happy to see. So it's not like people are not welcome, nor do that not visit. I think it's a matter of what people are comfortable with.

As for the School, it is very good and they have an advanced curriculum. The school is one large building housing Kindergarten to 12th grade. My daughter is in 5th and is doing well. It seems we have swapped out day care of tutors as it is needed. our daughter seems to like the extra help. So far all of her teachers have been amazing and become friends along the way. The teachers aids are also very helpful and one of them even became a sitter for us for a while. In essence it is a small town and no matter where you end up in Westchester Middle school is going to suck. It is what it is and I don't think any town can make a difference as it is always up to us parents to be cognitive of it.

I would check it out and if you are looking for a place to live, reach out and I would be happy to give you my agents info. Her name is Tatiana Castro-Taboas [email]tatiana.castrotaboas@compass.com[/email], M: 917-613-9810
She's Hispanic, She's from queens, She speaks three languages and her kids are in the school district. She is very cool to boot.

I hope I could be of any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 08:16 AM

191 posts, read 460,785 times
An old, but fascinating topic.

I wonder how it has been possible for Bronxville to keep such restrictive zoning laws.

Even though it is a very desirable time with a great commute, just a couple of new condos have been constructed in the past few years. All are small and have 2-3 floors. Literally, a couple of high rises in New Rochelle and Yonkers can have as many people as the whole 1 sq mile Bronxville.

Why don't we see any pressure or desire on the part of developers to build at least 6-7 story condos in Bronxville?

Old 12-14-2023, 07:17 PM

5,001 posts, read 8,244,643 times
Nothing makes me happier than “lack of diversity” the way people view that word. Forced diversity of skin melanin is garbage. And generally always fails.

Diversity of thought interests me however. Tell me why you think the complete opposite of how I think and let’s have at it. I give zero F’s about having different skin melanins around me though.

Bronxville should absolutely try and keep their little town as is. If you can afford it and present yourself well, move in. No forced diversity though.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Nothing makes me happier than “lack of diversity” the way people view that word. Forced diversity of skin melanin is garbage. And generally always fails.

Diversity of thought interests me however. Tell me why you think the complete opposite of how I think and let’s have at it. I give zero F’s about having different skin melanins around me though.

Bronxville should absolutely try and keep their little town as is. If you can afford it and present yourself well, move in. No forced diversity though.
OK, but my comment was not about diversity. The question is the lack of much of new construction, including the 5-6 floor condos. Considering the expected prices for any condo project in Bronxville, I would not expect much more diversity anyway (although, who knows, perhaps rich Asians?), but at least more people would live to Bronxville than the current 6,500.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:36 PM

5,001 posts, read 8,244,643 times
I suppose I was more addressing the content of the OP.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:04 PM

11,357 posts, read 19,006,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post

There's a difference between "forced diversity" and people who have the means to live there and want to but feel uncomfortable doing so because they think their neighbors "won't want them".

Old 01-25-2024, 02:43 PM

6,901 posts, read 3,124,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
There's a difference between "forced diversity" and people who have the means to live there and want to but feel uncomfortable doing so because they think their neighbors "won't want them".

If you can afford it and want the feel of a small town but excellent commuting options than just do it.

If you are afraid you will be the only non-white in Bronxville, it is too late. lol. They're already here!!!!

If enough people who "think their neighbors "won't want them" move in, then there is nothing stopping them from hanging out together, but somebody needs to leap first.

Are there 'cliques' in Bronxville? Yes, just like most anywhere else. If you are new, that view may be skewed as Everything is going to feel like a clique at first to you.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:23 AM

167 posts, read 137,297 times
I know Bronxville and it is effectively a sundown town to this day. You will certainly be "the other" even as a socioeconomically equal minority. There are many other towns in the metro that are just as upscale and are more inclusive.

Last edited by tsek; 01-31-2024 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-31-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
I know Bronxville and it is effectively a sundown town in effect to this day. You will certainly be "the other" even as a socioeconomically equal minority. There are many other towns in the metro that are just as upscale and are more inclusive.
which ones? Any examples of these "inclusive towns"?

Diversity, equity and inclusion sound amazing. I know it never means discrimination or exclusivity. I heard that on MSNBC, so it must be true.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:35 AM

167 posts, read 137,297 times
Ridgewood, Millburn, Tenafly, Princeton, Edgemont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County