Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 04:12 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

It will be Valentine's evening at 7 PM. I just found out 3 days ago that the church I've occasionally gone to will have a mass wedding ceremony for couples who want to get married and I'm doing it, so I have 2 weeks to scramble and get ready! It's not like I can even suddenly take 2 weeks off form work.

Where does one even begin when there's only 2 weeks until getting married?! This is the easiest way to get married as it is since the venue & minister are taken care of as well as a LOT of other things (don't have to worry about guests, cake, & food). Firstly, we just applied yesterday & got the marriage license this morning. I've made a to-do list. I'm most concerned about my dress, which I have no idea what to get. I'm thinking a silvery color & weather so far says 64 degrees...might even rain.

My mother will be walking me down the aisle, so she still has to get a dress & everything too! I'll have no one to help me w/ this, except my mom. We'll have to do some shopping for fiance' too. We still have to get him a ring.

We'll get things done for sure, but any quick tips, suggestions please!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 04:24 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Get off of CD and get shopping! Is there a mass reception or does everyone do their own? That can be done later or not at all. Congrats and have fun!

Old 01-31-2024, 04:43 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Congrats!!

Old 01-31-2024, 07:44 PM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
Congratulations!

Old 02-01-2024, 08:53 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Well, I've always liked the rain since I was a child, but it looks like it will be raining for MOST of the days up until the wedding. Trying to mk hair appt.

If anyone know where to get a long, silver-colored or pale grey wedding dress w/ sleeves, please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Get off of CD and get shopping! Is there a mass reception or does everyone do their own? That can be done later or not at all. Congrats and have fun!

Thanks & yes, mass reception afterwards, which we won't be participating in. We ordered his ring & it will come in plenty of time, but will still look around here & there if we can in case he sees something else he likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Congrats!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
Congratulations!

Thanks for the congrats!

Old 02-01-2024, 08:53 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
awww.... congratulations!

Old 02-01-2024, 09:11 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
If anyone know where to get a long, silver-colored or pale grey wedding dress w/ sleeves, please let me know!
I don't know anywhere specifically but I think ordering online with such short notice is risky. I suggest visiting some of your local bridal stores or even department stores will have formal/occassion dresses on the rack.

Make hair and nail appointments for you and mom ASAP. Make-up appt if that's your thing.
If the church isn't providing one, secure a photographer to get some nice shots in y'all's wedding finery.
Reservations at a nice restaurant afterward for a celebratory dinner (if there isn't going to be a reception).
Call the florist and order a small bouquet for you, corsage for mom, boutonnière for groom.
Hair/shaving appointment for the groom.
Dresses for you and mom. Attire for the groom.
Rings.

Florists, salons, photographers, and restaurants will be busy that day so make those calls first.

Call out sick and take the day to go wedding dress shopping.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:23 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Congratulations! Pretty exciting!

As for dress shopping...if it were me...first I'd go to a store like Macy's, or whatever, and try on pretty dresses. If you find one you like, ask if they'll hold it for you for 24 hours.

THEN if you want to, look on Amazon and see if you can get it, or something very similar on Amazon.

If it were me, because it's short notice, I wouldn't spend TOO much time shopping in the stores, just because time is ticking.

Also might want to try a bridal store and see if they have some last season or clearance dresses you might like.

Old 02-01-2024, 11:13 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
I'm most concerned about my dress, which I have no idea what to get. I'm thinking a silvery color & weather so far says 64 degrees...might even rain.

Congratulations!

This is the time of year we went shopping for my daughter's dress, and at David's Bridal all the Mother of the Bride type dresses on sale at ridiculous prices. I got mine for about $30! The link below is for all dresses, set to the color you described. You can finagle the settings however you want, obviously.

https://www.davidsbridal.com/dresses...tDirection=ASC

You can also get your fiancé's suit or tux there, too.

If you don't have a David's Bridal nearby, the places I would go for the dress and a fancy suit is Dillard's, Belk, and Macy's, in that order.

If your stuff needs alterations, look for a place nearby; don't use David's Bridal because it will take forever. A seamstress can do it within days.

Also, be prepared to give a big donation to the church for you not needing to deal with food or a cake. Ask how many guests you can invite; they usual limit it to 4 depending on how large the sanctuary is.

Next is a photographer! Ask for referrals from friends on social media.

A local florist can do your bouquet and boutonniere, or you can order them online and design them yourself, but you'll have to do that like today, if they'll even be able to get to you on time (make sure you verify that first). If you do silk flowers, that's even easier, and you can keep them forever. That's what I did. Ask a crafty friend to help you out. A trip to Michael's or Hobby Lobby will be in order.

If you are going to do a reception, let us know. I can definitely help you with ideas for that! I am a planner, so just ask!

Last edited by clevergirl67; 02-01-2024 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-01-2024, 11:41 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:

This one is only $40 https://www.davidsbridal.com/product/beaded-v-neck-sheath-gown-with-chiffon-capelet-wgin2001b?defining_color=285

If you can't find one with sleeves, you can always get a shawl to match: https://www.davidsbridal.com/product/sheer-chiffon-wrap-ow2129?defining_color=9516

Here's a darling blusher veil: https://www.davidsbridal.com/product...ning_color=165
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings