Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:35 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,071 times

Advertisements

Is the happy couple exempt from judgment if they were widowed instead of divorced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know how many times more friends and family have to stand there and toast to you saying you'll be together till death do you part.

2nd and 3rd and more weddings should be more modest than the first.
DH and I married when I was 50 and he was 65- my second marriage, his third. Previous marriages ended in divorce. We had a beautiful, joyous church wedding with 3 priests on the altar, 4 soloists and a lot of incense. We used the reading that included "What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder". We meant it. We were together until he died two years ago and it was a match made in heaven.

Fortunately, our denomination believes in grace and forgiveness.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:08 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
So many people in this subforum seem to have a neurosis about people spending money on upscale weddings.

I see nothing wrong with going all out for a second or third wedding, if the couple can afford it. Everyone wants a good life partner. These people just trying to find the right one. If they think they've found the right person and are happy, they should celebrate. Why not?

Anyone who disagrees can just not attend. Live and let live. Sheesh!

Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
My sister eloped with her jerk of a first husband. She's engaged to a great guy now and she wants to celebrate that, which I don't blame her for even a little bit. Their wedding is not going to be extravagant, but it will be something.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
WOW there are some judgemental people around here!

How is that judgmental? My wife has a cousin who has been married three times. Her second was bigger than her first. And her third was a big deal, too. You know, after the first time, the glamor kind of wears off.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
How is that judgmental? My wife has a cousin who has been married three times. Her second was bigger than her first. And her third was a big deal, too. You know, after the first time, the glamor kind of wears off.
Were her husbands married before?

They may have wanted a big wedding.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In many cases one person is on the first wedding and the other person is on the second or third. Why should the person who has never been married lose out? I have one friend going for his second in a month or two. I think his first was pretty small. His wife is younger and has never been married, so of course he is not going to say no to the (closer) destination wedding.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:33 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Of course it would be different if the bride and groom were paying for the tickets to go to these fancy destination weddings.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:37 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,605 times
It doesn't matter a hill of beans to me whether someone wants to have a full-scale $150,000 blowout for their third wedding. That's their business, not mine. They can rent the International Space Station for their reception for all I care. Good for them.

But if they get into a royal snit because their friends and relatives don't want to spend $6000 flying to some exotic destination and staying in a $350 a night hotel with a three-day minimum and try to lay the guilt trip on everyone who can't afford to attend? Then it matters.

I know of one bride who was pressuring family members to attend her "destination wedding". Later, I found out that she was getting a kickback from the resort for everyone who stayed there and had hoped to pay for part of her expenses with those kickbacks. Tacky. Really tacky.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:29 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I know of one bride who was pressuring family members to attend her "destination wedding". Later, I found out that she was getting a kickback from the resort for everyone who stayed there and had hoped to pay for part of her expenses with those kickbacks. Tacky. Really tacky.
When I was planning my wedding on theknot.com, several brides observed that if you had your wedding at an all-inclusive resort the reception wasn't as expensive because it was a meal your guests were already paying for. You just had to pay for whatever made it a little fancier. Yes- tacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings