Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No "Thank you" note for wedding and future gifts
Yes, I'd overlook the lack of thank yous and get a gift 15 34.88%
No, I would not give money or give a gift 28 65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 07:34 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I would say if it upsets you so much, confront her. See what her excuse is.

Or, don't engage in a confrontation.
Simply ask if the gift was received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 01:43 PM

41 posts, read 15,372 times
I guess I'm a minority here, but I find thank you notes kinda weird and useless. For sure people should thank others for coming, giving gifts etc, but I just find the idea of an actual note to be useless. Why do I need to design a specific note, pay for it, mail it to everyone, so that people can either throw it out immediately or leave it in a pile of other cards that will seat in some forgotten drawer, collect dust and never be looked at?

I actually didn't even know sending thank you notes was a thing until I got married a few years ago in my 30s, when my husband insisted that we send them, and I thought it was silly, so we almost got into a fight over it. Yes people came and brought gifts. We thanked everyone in person, we paid for a pretty nice catering and an open bar, we did a pretty nice deliberate favours for every guest, which were not usut useless souvenirs, but loot bags with treat and a few items people can actually use, and we also stuck a note in there thanking them for coming and telling them to enjoy the cookies made by the bride and hot sauce made by the groom, we also had extra special packages for parents, bridesmaids and groomsmen, and a few people who were involved in helping, like decorating, MC and DJ etc (it was kind of a DYI wedding, so lots of friends and family members were involved). We gave them all a bottle of wine, glasses, mugs, special souvenirs, self care products etc. So why do I need to make up some useless piece of paper for them on top of that? But apparently so many people are so attached to getting a card. I think its a bit outdated.

Old 02-10-2024, 02:53 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I completely disagree.

Let's say you spent time, effort, and money preparing a special dinner for a friend at your house. During the meal, no appreciation was shown. When leaving, no "thanks for dinner" was mentioned. No acknowledgement of your kindness and generosity was ever expressed. Let's say this lack of basic etiquette has happened more than once.

Maybe YOU would continue to put forth effort in making meals for this person, but I certainly wouldn't. If all my effort doesn't warrant a simple "thank you," whether it's for a meal I prepared, a gift I gave, or any other act of kindness, I would feel snubbed and unappreciated, and would consider that person an ungrateful clod.

I have never been able to understand people who don't express appreciation. It baffles me.
Some people are just born Takers who don't get the concept of gratitude. I have a niece who had a baby at 19 then proceeded to have a few more with a different loser. She was always struggling. I was working, not yet married or a mother, so I sent her a check at one point to help her out.

I got a letter back, not thanking me but instead telling me that anytime I have money to share, she'll be happy to take it. As you might imagine, I did not respond.

Old 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I think the way thank you is shown is a generational thing.

As a child I was taught that, when having a meal at a friend's house, I should always thank the mother at the end of the meal. In college, after going home with a friend for the weekend, a "bread and butter note" was sent. As an adult, visiting someone overnight, a hostess gift was either taken at the time or sent later with a note.

However, one thing that was not expected in those days, but apparently is now, is the sending of a thank you note after a job interview.

I know I'm an old fogie, but I expect a written think you note acknowledging a wedding gift. If this considered an old fashioned custom, why isn't the old fashioned custom of having the bride "given away" by her father usually followed not to mention other traditional wedding activities that make no sense in today's world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings