Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2024, 01:46 PM

33 posts, read 13,006 times

Advertisements

I see Boston similar to the year 1981, it is tough, it is rough, it is cool. People born in 1981 are cool, they are tough, and they are the eldest of a generation of folks born from 1981 to 1996.

Boston though has a humid subtropical climate the millennials of climate types.

Boston though is more 1981 than 1996 ofc.

Boston does not pass the OFFCIAL test to be continental as officially a continental climate needs that -3C average for their coldest month of the year, which Boston lacks. You see a person born in 1981 came of age right as the 90s were ending, but once they got to enjoy freedom, bam it is 2000 the year of glorious films like American Psycho, Requiem for a Dream, Left Behind (2000), and yes Where the Heart Is (that movie with that chick that lived at Wal-Mart, even seen it since sometime in the 2000s).

You see the year 2000 is like -3C in that is means something. -3C means consistent snow on the ground without break for the most part. 0C just means frost/thaw cycle that leads to mushy mushy conditions for all involved. Not to mention the mean maximum for Boston in the WINTER months are hovering around 15C/59F.

Also Boston does have tropical traits like HUMIDITY! High humidity at that. Sure it is no Atlanta, DC, and certainly no Houston or Tampa but it is more humid than just about any Dfa and certainly any Dfb climate.

Overall you can NOT argue that Boston is continental as it is OFFCIALLY Subtropical. Anything that lists Boston as anything but Subtropical is OBJECTIVELY WRONG in the Reddit definition of things!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 04:11 PM

83 posts, read 70,471 times
I just realized we're all autistic.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:45 PM

410 posts, read 110,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
I just realized we're all autistic.
Lol!

Not me though. I just think subtropical environment is something tangible at all times, while the artificial concept of subtropical climate is really just a matter of belief in a particular classification.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:53 PM

4,607 posts, read 2,740,857 times
Well, I don't know the definition of "subtropical" but I lived in Boston 16 years and it certainly does NOT conform to the layperson's idea of what "subtropical" would mean. Come on, already. 6 feet of snow in the winter, "subtropical"? Gee, I wish I'd had some of what you're smoking when I was having to move all the old snow so I could pile the new snow somewhere on the 6 foot high berms on either side of my driveway.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:57 PM

861 posts, read 705,727 times
IMO the 0 C isotherm is much better than the -3C isotherm when separating oceanic/subtropical climates from continental climates.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:44 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,995,747 times
There are people who opine that Sydney is not subtropical, and now you're actually saying Boston is a subtropical climate? Lol.

Let's throw in Chicago and Toronto next, considering how humid they can be in the summer.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:12 AM

1,562 posts, read 883,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
There are people who opine that Sydney is not subtropical, and now you're actually saying Boston is a subtropical climate? Lol.

Let's throw in Chicago and Toronto next, considering how humid they can be in the summer.
Might as well include Montreal.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:50 AM

207 posts, read 158,341 times
For someone who lives in a real subtropical region(Grand Strand), this basically undermines the definition of subtropical; it becomes meaningless. Humidity is a normal part of any livable place, even places like Iceland, Ireland, and Minneapolis have humidity. Obviously that doesn't make any of those places subtropical, now does it? It simply means they are not arid. Also, snow isn't as important as one is led to believe, because some continental climates like Manchuria/Korea are not known for snowy winters but still very much continental climates. Zone 8 in the US is a very good edge for the subtropics, basically anything south of zone 8a in the US is basically subtropical. Zone 7 comes very close, with 3 months left off the classification for being too cold, to be classified as more "warm temperate" or "mesothermal". However, neither apply to Boston imo due to the cold highs, which gives the vibes of a milder continential climate[/i] than the prior terms listed.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:46 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,087,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post
For someone who lives in a real subtropical region(Grand Strand), this basically undermines the definition of subtropical; it becomes meaningless. Humidity is a normal part of any livable place, even places like Iceland, Ireland, and Minneapolis have humidity. Obviously that doesn't make any of those places subtropical, now does it? It simply means they are not arid. Also, snow isn't as important as one is led to believe, because some continental climates like Manchuria/Korea are not known for snowy winters but still very much continental climates. Zone 8 in the US is a very good edge for the subtropics, basically anything south of zone 8a in the US is basically subtropical. Zone 7 comes very close, with 3 months left off the classification for being too cold, to be classified as more "warm temperate" or "mesothermal". However, neither apply to Boston imo due to the cold highs, which gives the vibes of a milder continential climate[/i] than the prior terms listed.
Agree.

Start of subtropical ....around Virginia Beach....zone 8

North of Norfolk/Virgina Beach ...not subtropical....
for example: Ocean City, MD has to bring in palm trees from Florida
every spring to give hotel and beach areas a subtropical "look"
then they die ...then buy more next spring from Florida....rinse and repeat,
does make the area look good for their peak summer season.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:59 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,087,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Might as well include Montreal.
Yep....Montreal summers are pretty humid ...I remember....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather