Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:14 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Warmest February on record in Seattle.
January was 9th warmest
December was 4th warmest

I remember those days. No thanks. Had 20 months in a row above normal. Time to make up for lost time. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Coldest February on record in Buffalo, NY ....average temp a bone chilling 11F
breaking old record, feb 1934 11.6F
Awesome opposites. Could of used Caribou actually. Coldest Feb in Caribou 2.6°F beating Feb 1993 4.1°

Buffalo 3rd snowiest Feb on record too with 46.2"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Coldest February on record in Buffalo, NY ....average temp a bone chilling 11F
breaking old record, feb 1934 11.6F
Coldest month on record there as well as Rochester NY, too. Pittsburgh missed the mark for coldest February and will come in at 18.4F, including today's numbers. Record-coldest February at all but one (Akron/Canton OH) of NWS Cleveland's main climate sites (Erie PA, Cleveland, Youngstown OH, Mansfield OH, and Toledo OH), but still far off the Jan 1977 benchmark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Number of days dropping below 10°F (-12C) at BDR coast not only most for the month but most for any month on record! (67 yrs)

Feb Normal is 2 days! They hit it 14 times this month.

Also most for the year (Jan-Dec) Still have March and December to add to that. Nuts around here this month

Here's the Top 18 years with the most number of days below 10F for each month.

Ice thickness is the most we've seen out there. I'm hearing ships and ice fisherman say the same. That's what happens with a historic cold month
Fourteen at Bridgeport?!? Good heavens! Including today, Pittsburgh has 16 days with < 10F lows; ties 1875 and 1979 for the February record count, and more than Jan 2014. Only Jan 1940 (2nd-coldest of any month) and Jan 1977 have had more. This is a nice change from the count of 0 during Feb 2012, my freshman year (each successive winter has on balance been colder)

Regarding the ice, ice on even the Chesapeake has surpassed Jan 1994 levels according to local Coast Guard icebreaker members, and should in modern times be only exceeded by Jan 1977. http://www.abc2news.com/lifestyle/ch...istoric-levels

Last edited by Qilin34; 02-28-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin34 View Post

Fourteen at Bridgeport?
Twelve times here at Islip (ISP). Most ever for a single month, though still pretty close to the 10 times in January 2005.

Westhampton (FOK) was really impressive. It went below 10F on 21 days this month, and hit 0F or lower on 11 days this month. It even hit -12F on the 21st. The average low there was 6F. This is coastal Long Island, for pete's sake!

Old 02-28-2015, 07:11 PM

269 posts, read 237,678 times
In April 1987, A lot of communities in Alabama recorded measurable snowfall, the latest on record. Birmingham got 6 inches, but later in the month it hit 92F which is the hottest April temp on record for there. Where I live we saw both our coldest (30F) and hottest (93F) April temperatures on record that month. Here is an article about the April snow:

Story of an Illegal Snowstorm : The Alabama Weather Blog

Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM

115 posts, read 213,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Twelve times here at Islip (ISP). Most ever for a single month, though still pretty close to the 10 times in January 2005.

Westhampton (FOK) was really impressive. It went below 10F on 21 days this month, and hit 0F or lower on 11 days this month. It even hit -12F on the 21st. The average low there was 6F. This is coastal Long Island, for pete's sake!
There has to be something wrong with those numbers. -12 on the southern coast of eastern long island? That's similar to the coldest in Poughkeepsie...

Here in Westchester we went below 0 only twice the entire month. I doubt Westhampton has been below 0.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8p123 View Post
There has to be something wrong with those numbers. -12 on the southern coast of eastern long island? That's similar to the coldest in Poughkeepsie...

Here in Westchester we went below 0 only twice the entire month. I doubt Westhampton has been below 0.
I'm far from the "expert" on this, but from what Shalop has said, soil content (sandy, I suppose) and distance from UHI work together to be highly conducive to extreme radiative cooling.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My town has the highest diurnal range (11.9C) for the rainfall (1470 mm) that I can find anywhere. Might be higher somewhere, but I can't find it.

Might also be the place where snow falls are close (within 5 km every year), but is the rarest (once every 35-40 years).
Queenstown, Tasmania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This place is a good contender.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:18 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
A good ratio, but it's quite a way inland and and has a bit of altitude. I'm looking for somewhere at sea level and by the sea, like my location. My area has has locations with rainfall up to 3600mm at the same diurnal range as I get here, but those places are up in the hills a bit

Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Interesting look...

3rd February in a row with a colder temp then previous & it was a doosy free fall one. Never been one colder in any month.

Northern CT on left, Coastal CT on right.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8p123 View Post

The numbers are legitimate.

I would have reason to doubt them if Westhampton was the only station on Long Island that was consistently recording subzero readings this month, but there are many other CO-OP stations and smaller airports in that general area which also went well below zero a few times this month. These include Bridgehampton Co-op, Shirley Airport, Upton Co-op, Baiting Hollow, etc.

Here's the Nowdata page if you want to examine that area yourself: National Weather Service Climate

Under locations, click "view map," and then choose "Show more stations." Basically choose any station in eastern-central Long Island and you will see subzero numbers. The entire area is boss at radiative cooling on clear, calm nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather