Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 09:25 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I remember when Snyder was hailed for "saving" the franchise from John Cooke.
I was there when he was not hailed. Staying in the Cooke family was preferred.

Look the logo was designed by a member of the Blackfeet tribe (here in Montana), I talked to the tribe about renaming the team the Washington Blackfeet in honor of the tribe and try to get Snyder to enter into a revenue sharing agreement on merch. Snyder or the corp. refused.

It was a simple solution- rename to the tribe that brought the imagery and pomp or not. They declined.

Snyder was a large rooster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 04:43 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, I remember when Snyder was hailed for "saving" the franchise from John Cooke.
Not by many I know of.
I knew of snyder and predicted with him in charge the Redskins would NEVER get to the playoffs under him.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:08 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think I told my story. The Skins still had training camp up in Frostburg when Danny Boy bought the team. The story goes that Danny landed in the middle of the practice field in his helicopter, some blonde who was not his wife on his arm, took a look around for a couple of seconds, got back in the chopper, lifted off, and the Skins were charging fans to get into Ashburn that very next season.

How much of it is literally true, I am not sure, but I am fairly sure Snyder hated the training camp being up in the sticks, and wanted to monetize the product by putting in the 'burbs and charging to get in and did so win one or two years of buying the team. Nearly sure he had to break a contract to do it, didn't care. The "Home of the Redskins Training Camp" sign stayed up for a few years with some nasty additions painted on it after they ditched us.

It cost the Skins a lot fans up this way, we got an early glimpse of his.........just horrible human nature, I am not sure how else to describe it. The guy made enemies among friends seemingly everywhere he went.
Hasn't that area always been mostly Steelers fans?

Old 08-24-2023, 07:00 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Hasn't that area always been mostly Steelers fans?
The Steelers dominate now in terms of % of fans, but the area has been historically split. Frostburg and west have always been majority Steelers. Cumberland when I grew up was a mix of Redskins and Steelers fans. The Ravens fan base has been growing, almost entirely at the expense of the old Skins fans, for obvious reasons.

Go back to the 1980s and before and the Colts would have had as many fans as the Skins or Steelers, maybe more. My dad and his family were Colts fans, my mom's were Redskins fans. After the Colts left my dad slowly became a Steelers fan.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:01 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The Steelers dominate now in terms of % of fans, but the area has been historically split. Frostburg and west have always been majority Steelers. Cumberland when I grew up was a mix of Redskins and Steelers fans. The Ravens fan base has been growing, almost entirely at the expense of the old Skins fans, for obvious reasons.

Go back to the 1980s and before and the Colts would have had as many fans as the Skins or Steelers, maybe more. My dad and his family were Colts fans, my mom's were Redskins fans. After the Colts left my dad slowly became a Steelers fan.
Pre-Ravens (Browns East) and their leaving the Colts definitely dominated out there. Down here the Ravens (Browns East) have taken over the fan base. The WFT base has really contracted to include just the immediate DC suburbs (Prince George's, Montgomery, Charles and, maybe, parts of Howard). Even the guy in Deale who painted his car hood with the WFT players' names every year switched to the Ravens (Browns East) before he died.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Lots of Bud drinkers in Maryland.

As I said in another thread, as long as there's a Southern Maryland and 10 oz. Buds there'll be an Anheuser-Busch.
Thing is being a corporate sponsorship I wondering if the DC distributor will handle it or the Maryland one.

Bob Hall -Upper Marlboro

or

PREMIUM DISTRIBUTORS OF WASHINGTON, D.C.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Thing is being a corporate sponsorship I wondering if the DC distributor will handle it or the Maryland one.

Bob Hall -Upper Marlboro

or

PREMIUM DISTRIBUTORS OF WASHINGTON, D.C.
I'm guessing Hall and/or Buck simply because of some of the requirements from back when the stadium was built and guarantees of X amount of contracts be Prince George's sourced.

Don't forget Buck in Upper Marlboro.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:48 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing Hall and/or Buck simply because of some of the requirements from back when the stadium was built and guarantees of X amount of contracts be Prince George's sourced.

Don't forget Buck in Upper Marlboro.
Buck doesn't sell any AB products. They are up in the Industrial Center where Safeway use to be. Bob Hall is still on top of the hill behind Giant.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Buck doesn't sell any AB products. They are up in the Industrial Center where Safeway use to be. Bob Hall is still on top of the hill behind Giant.
Only reason I had asked is one is a franchise and the other is a corporate distributor.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Didn't Buck used to be on 202 going out of UM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland