Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2023, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Maryland to Texas and I am debating on whether to go with a traditional moving company or a company like a POD. Moving itself is already stressful. I would like everything from packing to unloading at the destination to be taken care of. I am looking for recommendations for potential long distance movers or some kind of a relocation solution. I am not sure how well secured my items will be if I went with POD or UBOXES. Anyone please let me know your experiences using any of these companies that I mentioned or recommendation of a long distance moving company in the Washington DC area.

Last edited by hunter967; 06-29-2023 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: title edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 09:45 AM

370 posts, read 155,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter967 View Post
I am moving from Maryland to Texas and I am debating on whether to go with a traditional moving company or a company like a POD. Moving itself is already stressful. I would like everything from packing to unloading at the destination to be taken care of. I am looking for recommendations for potential long distance movers or some kind of a relocation solution. I am not sure how well secured my items will be if I went with POD or UBOXES. Anyone please let me know your experiences using any of these companies that I mentioned or recommendation of a long distance moving company in the Washington DC area.
POD is fine if you pack boxes correctly and pack the storage box correctly.

Even for people that do loves themselves (ex rent U-Haul) I always strongly recommend you pay professional movers to pack the truck properly. Saves you ton of time and helps ensure your stuff is safe. The worst item to pack are TVs. If you have the original box and packaging then it’s fine but if not, the success rate of flat screen TVs making it are small

Old 07-05-2023, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,809 times
Yeah I will definitely save money with POD. I received quotes from 3 moving companies. Jk moving is by far the most expensive, then comes All My Sons Moving Company. The least expensive is Two Movers One Truck. We're moving a 4 bedroom home and finding movers to unload in Texas is something that I don't want to deal with. As far the TVs goes, I plan on packing it myself.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:02 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
We moved from Purcellville to South Carolina and used Craig Van Lines.

There were great, with only one minor break in a dining room chair and nothing missing. Everything else arrived perfectly. We rented an apartment while we were house hunting so they held our things in storage for about four months.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 9,720 times
Whatever you do, DON'T use "Cross Country Movers". They are HORRIBLE! Arrived hours late the day of the move, when they arrived they increased the price and wouldn't load anything until we paid the difference, everything arrived weeks late from original ETA, and they crushed and broke so many of our things.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter967 View Post
I am moving from Maryland to Texas
and I am debating on whether to go with a traditional moving company or...
Singular pronoun ... how much stuff COULD you have?
How much of that won't fit in a cardboard box (=pod) ?

As to the movers ... they're ALL brokers of and ICC regulated.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:29 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
I moved from PA to TN, which is not necessarily as far as DC to TX, but it was worth it. I would do it again. I had the unloading service and they did a pretty good job. Showed up early and got the job done quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland