Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 04:10 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times

Advertisements

I am one of 'those' - looking to relocate. Lived in NC all of my middle-aged life, hoping to explore VA a bit more in the coming months, and trying to target areas to re-visit.
Grew up in Charlotte before it became what it is now, lived in a few other NC cities, and am ready to find a new (mid-sized!) city, but remain somewhat close to family (I am not fond of the Charlotte growth).

Am mostly looking at Lynchburg or the Norfolk area, thinking I prefer the Lynchburg area but am still attracted to the coastal area (lived at the NC coast for a few years). Am open to other thoughts, but preferring not to be too far north.

Appreciate the thoughts of those with experience!

When are you moving? flexible
Where are you coming from? Charlotte, NC area
Why are you moving? To get away from an oversized city
Where will you be working? Home-based
Have you been here yet? To VA, yes - these areas, in passing, years ago

Will you buy or rent? Buy, ultimately. Consider renting short-term
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Preferably single-story condo. 350-400K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I can be flexible, if terms are flexible
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk-up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Not relevant
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Preferably a small one with maintenance included, or no.
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? quite

What do you want to be closest to? basic services, and some shopping. nightlife - I've aged out of that zone!
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 06:48 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Two very different areas! Lynchburg is kind of a small town/small city, but growing. Norfolk is a much larger city in a much larger metropolitan area. There are nearly 2 million people in that metro area, so it may not feel all that much smaller than Charlotte.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Have you also considered Roanoke? I would pick Roanoke first if I was looking for a smaller city than Charlotte that was either stagnant or slow-growing and still had a lot of cultural amenities.

Old 08-22-2023, 11:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
Grew up in Charlotte
Am mostly looking at Lynchburg or the Norfolk area ...
Get to the coast.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Two very different areas! Lynchburg is kind of a small town/small city, but growing. Norfolk is a much larger city in a much larger metropolitan area. There are nearly 2 million people in that metro area, so it may not feel all that much smaller than Charlotte.
Thank you for the honesty! I thought my population research showed smaller numbers, but I apparently was very wrong.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Have you also considered Roanoke? I would pick Roanoke first if I was looking for a smaller city than Charlotte that was either stagnant or slow-growing and still had a lot of cultural amenities.
I did consider it - was thinking it might be more mountainous than Lynchburg, and I love the mountains, but the air pressure changes don't love me. Might still check it out, though - thanks!

Old 08-22-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Get to the coast.
tempting and VA seems to get fewer direct hurricane hits than NC, for now!

Old 08-24-2023, 07:52 AM

382 posts, read 867,243 times
Check out the Eastern Shore area, picture the Outer Banks but a larger land area. Definitely quite, only two ways in or out and not over developed. There are a lot of small towns, Charles City, Accomack, Assatiguee(wild horses & dune access for off roading), Exmor and others. You gotta pay to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel though.

Old 08-24-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
Check out the Eastern Shore area, picture the Outer Banks but a larger land area. Definitely quite, only two ways in or out and not over developed. There are a lot of small towns, Charles City, Accomack, Assatiguee(wild horses & dune access for off roading), Exmor and others. You gotta pay to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel though.
Thank you - most certainly will do!!

Old 08-24-2023, 04:20 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
As someone who lived most of his life in the Norfolk area, I can assure the OP that the Norfolk area doesn't feel anywhere near as large as Charlotte. Downtown Norfolk has a fairly urban feel as does City Center in Virginia Beach. However outside of these areas, the Hampton Roads region as a whole is nowhere near as hustling and bustling as Charlotte nor is it growing at anywhere near the rate.

To the OP: If you're looking for the services of a decent sized area without feeling like you're in a bigger area, have you considered Chesapeake, Suffolk, or even York County? You're close enough to the bigger things without being THAT close... and you'll still have all the general amenities it seems you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia